Car Service/Transport from Pisa or Livorno Back to Cruise Port

Macdooger4

Trying to plan our day in Florence (ship docks overnight). If we take a late train back from Florence to Livorno, how can we best get back to ship from there? Or is it easier to take train to Pisa and then back to ship from Pisa?

I'm understanding that taxis may not be readily available. What are some reliable car services that we can check out and arrange for in advance? It will be late at night, likely between 9 -11, depending on if we eat dinner in Florence (which I would like to do...although we will be eating lunch there so we can possibly not eat dinner there?).

I don't want to stay over in Florence, but I also don't want to get stuck without transport at the train station on the way home. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Macdooger4
I want to follow the topic

You are well informed in terms of the taxis.  We have never heard of any reliable car service for such a short ride.  Knowing this are quite well, I wish we could awful a perfect solution but we fear it does not exist.  Over the years we have always been careful to get back to Livorno with at least an extra hour, and have always been able to eventually get a taxi.  In your case, the good news is that you do not have to be concerned with missing the ship.  In your situation we would simply take our chances (we are pretty adventurous travelers) with the taxis.  You may have to wait, and might want to get a local to help by calling for a taxi.  If you have a working phone you could try to do this on your own (look up the local numbers of some taxi companies).  

There are usually a few taxis waiting at the station.  Our "secret" is to be among the first off the train and then walk as fast as reasonable to the station, through the station, and out the front to the taxi stand.  If there are only 3 or 4 waiting taxis or goal is to get there in time to get one.  I know this has been mentioned before, but our preference would be to spend the night in Florence.  If it is a nice evening, a night stroll along the Arno is a great way to walk off those extra calories.  

Hank

• Like 1

There is actually a taxi rank at the train station, and as Hank said, if there are none when you arrive, eventually one will show up. 

If it were me and I'd waited 10-15 minutes with no taxi, I'd ask someone in the station, possibly in the tabaccheria (small store in the station that sells candy, cigarettes, tickets and the like) to call for a taxi. 

Or call them yourself if you have a phone -- there's a company called Stazione Taxi whose address is the station. Number is:  +39 0586 883377

• Like 1

Be aware that transport strikes in Italy are a common occurance, (especially train strikes)which is the reason for a website (in Italian) which details strikes ahead of time. Commisione di Garanzia Sciopera

It is also possible to find out which trains and routes are guaranteed to run even on strike dates and  this info can be found on the Trenitalia web site. You could try googling something like "Italian trains guaranteed to run on strike dates"

Our last visit to Livorno was an overnight and as we planned to stay the night in Florence we booked a hotel and planned our sightseeing for the approx 1 and 1/2 days and the evening we would have there. As we knew about the potential for strikes through online research, we checked the website quite regularly, and on one of these times we discovered that the day we planned to return to Livorno to rejoin the ship had been added to strike dates for the train companies running that route.. 

Although there were alternative means of travel between Florence and Livorno, (had contacted Tourist Info Offices in both Florence and Livorno for guidance)we decided they would be extra busy and  too  circuitous and risky, so we reluctantly cancelled our hotel booking,fortunately in good enough time to get a full refund.but were  left very disappointed.that a much anticipated visit to Florence did not happen.

SCIOPERA (strike) is unfortunately one of those Italian words you really do not want to have in your vocabulary!

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Too late to edit the above, only wanting to add for anyone reading this, that even if only planning to travel by train to Florence for one day  it might be a good idea to check ahead  that trains will be running on the date you want to travel as, if not,  you would have time to make alternative sightseeing plans.

• Like 1