Costa Maya- snorkel or Discover Scuba- also, Mar Adentro or Gypsea?

sckal

I've done both multiple times but never in Costa Maya. I'd love opinions on this. I'd be doing this by myself in port with Princess in April 2023 as my shipmate doesn't do watersports.  I'm not worried about getting a taxi to Majahual as it's so close to the port. I've narrowed it down based on reviews to Mar Adentro or Gypsea Divers?  Thanks in advance for any advice.  

Please, do yourself a favor and go n with Gypsea.  Catherine and Abel are fantastic, and you’ll arrive as a customer and leave as a friend.  

Mahahual  has great Diving, and lots of sites that will be really good, while staying within the bounds of a Discover dive.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

+1 for Gypsea. 

I dived with Catherine on Harris' recommendation and had a fantastic day. Mahuahal is an underrated diving destination with healthy reefs and abundant sea life, all not very far off the beach. And diving with Gypsea, I felt more like I was hanging out with friends for the morning than like I was a client.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 9:21 AM, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

+1 for Gypsea. 

I dived with Catherine on Harris' recommendation and had a fantastic day. Mahuahal is an underrated diving destination with healthy reefs and abundant sea life, all not very far off the beach. And diving with Gypsea, I felt more like I was hanging out with friends for the morning than like I was a client.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, omeinv said:

Please, do yourself a favor and go n with Gypsea.  Catherine and Abel are fantastic, and you’ll arrive as a customer and leave as a friend.  

Mahahual  has great Diving, and lots of sites that will be really good, while staying within the bounds of a Discover dive.

Harris

Denver, CO

Ok, thanks to you both.  I've emailed them and never heard back but will try again. It may have just been way too far in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

They're very responsive on WhatsApp! I just did a short, last minute snorkeling in Costa Maya. We saw a ray, very near the shore, along with the fish. Very cool... (didn't end up using Gypsea because we didn't want to book ahead of time, but we did chat with them beforehand) 

Discover Scuba might be better there. The water didn't seem very rough, but when we were snorkeling, it was a little harder than it seemed it would be to snorkel. Water kept splashing up into the air tube.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you pls summarize how do we get to the (nearest & easiest) dive shop from the ship's pier in Costa Maya?

Do they pick us up at the pier, or is it an easy walk or taxi to the dive shop (how far in miles & minutes)?

Aprox cost for 2 tank dive?

Thanks,

20 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Can you pls summarize how do we get to the (nearest & easiest) dive shop from the ship's pier in Costa Maya?

Do they pick us up at the pier, or is it an easy walk or taxi to the dive shop (how far in miles & minutes)?

Thanks,

I don't know the answer to cost or closest dive shop or if they'll pick you up.

I do know that there are quite a few dive shops along the Malecon which is not far (relatively). 

The pier and port area in Maya Chan is big. You have to walk down the very long pier and then wind all the way through the port in order to reach the outside to meet anyone. If you can't find a dive shop to meet you there, that is where you would grab a taxi for $4pp (I've also seen reports of $8 minimum if you are alone). Then a very quick (5 min?) ride to shops along the Malecon. You'll do most of the transportation by just walking and then get overcharged in a taxi for the last little bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thanks,

@NavyCruiser

It's best to book your dives online in advance, so that the shop knows you're coming, and you know what time to be there.  I highly recommend Gypsea Divers for Mahahual (Costa Maya). 

When you get off the ship you'll walk the pier to the terminal/port/  Walk all the way through, and out past the gate.  There. you'll see many taxis.  For Gypsea Divers you can tell them either you want to go to Gypsea Divers, or Hotel Nacional Beach Club (The dive shop is at the hotel, while it sounds like a big resort, it's not 🙂 ).  As others have said, last time I was there they were charging $4.00 USD per person.  It's about a ten minute ride into town. 

None of the dive shops provide port pick up,a nd the port will not let dive boats dock there, so pick-up/drop-off by boat is not an option.  The taxis aren't a bad deal, and are readily available both directions. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

Yes, that's what Catherine's instructions said as well. Taxi to Hotel Nacional.  I did confirm the Discover Scuba with Gypsea, very excited! We've left time after in case I want to join a snorkel tour in the afternoon.  Thanks to all for the recommendations!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW...I was just in Mahahaul last week/Feb 8 and dived. As stated the taxi was $4/person.  I would guess the ships dock is 2 or 3 miles from the beach/street where all the resorts and dive shops are. It looks closer than it is.  However, i think it would be difficult to walk there from the port and the area in between doesn't seem very safe.

And BTW, there are about a dozen dive shops along the beach/street where the resorts are. I would think that if you checked with them you could find a spot on a dive boat as a walk on if you didn't have a reservation. 

Edited by mac66

• 10 months later...

I did wind up going with Gypsea Divers today and I can absolutely concur that they are the perfect organization to do Discover Scuba and I suspect regular Scuba as well. We dove with Abel and Justine, they were patient and professional, all safety regulations and drills were thoroughly gone over to make sure we were capable before going to the reef. They pointed out all kinds of marine life as we dove while making sure we were completely comfortable. We went to a depth of 40 feet or so, and were in the water about 50 minutes.  It was a fantastic experience, I re-aclimated to Scuba after not having done it for about 5 years and one of the other students was trying it for her first time. If you book with them, you will be so very glad you did. 

• Like 2