Skagway: Helicopter to Glacier in May?

avic77

Hello all

I am booked on Princess Cruise Lines Royal Princess May 13 2023 Alaskian cruise with Glacier bay. 

Our Itinerary is:

May 13 Seattle

May 14 Sea

May 15 Juneau 12p-10p

May 16 Skagway 7a-8:30p

May 17 Glacier Bay

May 18 Ketchikan 7am-1pm

May 19 Victoria Canada 7pm-11:59pm

May 20 Seattle

I have 2 major bucket list excursions i want to be sure to get in: Helcopter to a glacier and Whale watching. It seems that the only location with whale watching excursions is Juneau and it takes up the majority of that port time (and none of the whale excursions seem to fit with doing both whales and helicopter in that port on same day). That leaves me with Skagway for a helicopter tour to a glacier since Ketchikan does not have any listed. 

The Skagway helicopter excursion through the cruise line only offers one time slot 7:30am-930am. Is this a good time for that excursion or should a try to book with an outside excursion company.  I found a 12 noon excursion for the same price with Temsco (it has a 10% cancellation fee). We would like to do the Train while in Skagway as well but the Helicopter is the must do item!

Thank you for any insight you can offer :)

Edit to add: In Ketchikan we plan to just explore on our own.

Edited by avic77

I've been to Skagway more than a dozen times both on cruise stops and driving our own vehicles there.  I am not aware of any problems with a 7:30 to 9:so am tour.  For example, I haven't experienced  much fog in Skagway.

And I would not be surprised if Temsco is the vendor for the excursion booked through the cruise line.

45 minutes ago, avic77 said:

Thank you. I was worried it may be more foggy in the mornings and a noon time excursion would be a "safer" bet.

We have encountered heavy rain in Skagway, and while there is a possibility it could be foggy when you are there, I would probably be more concerned about heavy rain.  And also understand that Skagway can be very windy which can also impact air operations.

I really suspect that Temsco is likely the vendor for the ship tour.  Have you considered e-mailing them and asking about how often fog impacts their operations?

On 12/21/2022 at 9:52 AM, avic77 said:

Hello all

I am booked on Princess Cruise Lines Royal Princess May 13 2023 Alaskian cruise with Glacier bay. 

Our Itinerary is:

May 13 Seattle

May 14 Sea

May 15 Juneau 12p-10p

May 16 Skagway 7a-8:30p

May 17 Glacier Bay

May 18 Ketchikan 7am-1pm

May 19 Victoria Canada 7pm-11:59pm

May 20 Seattle

I have 2 major bucket list excursions i want to be sure to get in: Helcopter to a glacier and Whale watching. It seems that the only location with whale watching excursions is Juneau and it takes up the majority of that port time (and none of the whale excursions seem to fit with doing both whales and helicopter in that port on same day). That leaves me with Skagway for a helicopter tour to a glacier since Ketchikan does not have any listed. 

The Skagway helicopter excursion through the cruise line only offers one time slot 7:30am-930am. Is this a good time for that excursion or should a try to book with an outside excursion company.  I found a 12 noon excursion for the same price with Temsco (it has a 10% cancellation fee). We would like to do the Train while in Skagway as well but the Helicopter is the must do item!

Thank you for any insight you can offer :)

Edit to add: In Ketchikan we plan to just explore on our own.

I think that Temsco has cruise-line committed windows.  My Holland America cruise in May has the same window as yours at 7:30 AM.  The many times I have been to Skagway Temsco flew throughout the day, so direct booking might be possible.  The dog sledding camp I visited was in deep snow in May.

FWIW Juneau has a glacier walk excursion that i strongly recommend.  The Mendenhall Glacier is ice with a thin sheet of water constantly flowing over the surface.  This 2-hour excursion leaves lots of time for whale watching later in the day.  Sunset in May is late so whale watching excursions often end in darkness.

Skagway dogsledding

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120113-1.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120133-1.jpg

Juneau Mendenhall Glacier walk

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070067.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070063.jpg

We had a great time on our helicopter tour out of skagway.   I don't know they compare, but we used M&M tours and had a phenomenal time.

As for whales, I've taken the photo safari whale watching tours on multiple lines - but including princess.   I think they all go to the same company, or at least that's been how it's worked out for me:  https://www.stepintoalaska.com/excursions/whale-watching-mendenhall-glacier-photo-safari/ (or more specifically gastineau guiding).   I will say that my appreciation of this is directly tied to the wildlife activity.   But if there is activity - this excursion will be great as their boats are designed. to get closer and with fewer people then the regular ones with "500" of our shipmates.