Time from Royal pier to LAX

sellwingri

4 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’d like to find out how long it usually takes to get from the pier to LAX.  We usually take a taxi.

There is no such thing as "usual" in Los Angeles. To get to LAX from San Pedro where the berths are you have to go through one of the worst areas for traffic in LA. It can be 35 minutes it is more likely 50 minutes and it can easily be 90 minutes.

Plan accordingly. Also look at LGB as an alternative to LAX.

It is 20 miles, virtually the entire trip on freeways...

I have done it in less than a half an hour with an Uber on a weekday morning, believe it or not...

But, a portion of the route is what they call the "South Bay Curve"...a section of the 405 freeway that has been known to experience a few traffic jams--usually during "rush hour"...which, in LA, could be in either direction.  The usual joke in LA is to assume ANY drive will take one hour, no matter where or when.

My experience, though, is that for THIS ride, if it's on a weekend, it likely takes 25 to 30 minutes from the cruise port to LAX...but it could take anywhere up to another 20 minutes just to make your way around the loop road inside LAX (so figure a minimum of 45 minutes).  If your timing for this trip is going to put you there during morning or afternoon drive time on a weekend (which, in LA, is longer than most cities--figure about 6:45 to 10:30 am and 4:00 to 7:30 pm), it's going to be longer--leave yourself at least an hour.

I HAVE seen occasions--due to accidents or construction--when it MIGHT take 90 minutes...But any taxi or Uber driver worth his/her salt...or anyone with a real-time GPS system (Waze, for example) should be able to avoid those delays--there are PLENTY of alternate routes via surface streets.

LGB, BTW, is almost as far from San Pedro as LAX (16 miles by freeway, though there are shorter routes via surgface streets--but those are subject to a multitude of controlled intersections) and that drive is subject to just as many traffic concerns.

The real rule to follow is that, wherever you go, you MAY get there very quickly...just never count on it.  Always plan for it to take twice as long as it looks...and consider yourself fortunate if you don't hit any traffic

If I could fly into Long Beach, I would but that’s not an option.  And unfortunately we return from our cruise in January on a Friday.  Our flight leaves at 12:46 so we should be okay.  We’ll just sign up for an early check out group.