Live From Discovery New Year's Cruise 12/28 - 1/7/22 10 day Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera

iamaqt2

26 minutes ago, nini said:

Hi Neighbor!

We are on the coast and lost power for 5 hours and now have it back. The strong winds howled all night and now it is calm.

True, we do not want to entertain holiday travel due to potential travel complications with crazy weather.

Safe travels!

Hi Nini, we're definitely more inland, and it still hit us pretty hard.  Can only imagine what the coast was getting.  Power now back on here as well.   Stay safe!

8 minutes ago, spingal said:

I am on this cruise too with my sister, BIL, niece and nephew.  We are in one of the Sky Suites!!  We lost both our parents over the last two years and we are celebrating their lives and all they did for us.  So I decided to book the Sky Suite.  We are also celebrating my niece’s college graduation.

Spingal,  would love to hear your experience and perspective from the "suite" side.  Please feel free to post anything or any time you'd like!  What a wonderful way to celebrate lives well loved.

22 minutes ago, gvre said:

Hopefully the internet will be better and you can post.  In November it was horrible.

So I've heard.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I am looking forward to following this conversation.

We were booked on this cruise.  December 28 is Mrs. XBGuy's birthday, and, so, we thought this cruise would make it special.  However, a domestic situation arose, and we had to cancel shortly before final payment.  That may have worked out for somebody, because it opened up a nice aft-facing suite for somebody.  😁

We took a similar itinerary in 2018 and were, especially, looking forward to returning to Loreto.  Happily, I will be able to revisit vicariously, thanks to you fine people.

XBGuy,  by chance on your visit to Loreto did you try the Chocolate Clams?  It's on my bucket list, and I'm on the hunt for a great restaurant between the Malecon and the Mission.

41 minutes ago, Scores11 said:

Any restaurant recommendations for Loreto? New port for us so figured we’d check it out 

We have had lunch at 4 or 5 different restaurants in Loreto.  They were all very good and fairly priced. 

Our favorite (we do not remember the name?) is just past the main square on the left side of the street.

• Thanks 3

Soutwest cancelled our flight into Long Beach tomorrow afternoon. Looks like we will be driving down from Northeren CA. We didn't get a notice from SW. We looked up our flight.

We hope others don't get cancelled. 

As they say in Reno  "Good Luck"

11 minutes ago, Joelocal said:

Soutwest cancelled our flight into Long Beach tomorrow afternoon. Looks like we will be driving down from Northeren CA. We didn't get a notice from SW. We looked up our flight.

Southwest has cancelled 70% of it's flights today, and counting. Sure there's more coming tomorrow. Good call on driving.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joelocal said:

So glad you found out early enough to start driving.  But no fun with the added stress of parking etc.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joelocal said:

Thanks. Still have hotel reservations for tomorrow night

This trip could try even the most seasoned travelers nerves.  Ask your hotel if they offer a cruise and park package you can switch to.  Many of the San Pedro hotels offer it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iamaqt2 said:

This trip could try even the most seasoned travelers nerves.  Ask your hotel if they offer a cruise and park package you can switch to.  Many of the San Pedro hotels offer it.

Will do     Thanks

This thread may need to start over once we leave the dock 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Joelocal said:

Will do     Thanks

This thread may need to start over once we leave the dock 

At this point it feels like the Hunger Games of cruises.  Who can find the transport to win the cruise?!?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joelocal said:

Fabulous that you found a solution!  I'm afraid that many folks will wake up (or show up) to cancellations tomorrow.  Parking at the port is super easy and will cost you around $20 a day.  It's so nice to be able to walk off the ship and straight to your car and by the time you pay for an uber from the airport and your hotel, it's worth it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seagunthera said:

Fabulous that you found a solution!  I'm afraid that many folks will wake up (or show up) to cancellations tomorrow.  Parking at the port is super easy and will cost you around $20 a day.  It's so nice to be able to walk off the ship and straight to your car and by the time you pay for an uber from the airport and your hotel, it's worth it.

Yes.. that's great for people who live within driving distance.  It sounds like they'll make it with a long drive. But very few people have the option of driving to the port and parking.   If they did, they wouldn't be flying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

Yes.. that's great for people who live within driving distance.  It sounds like they'll make it with a long drive. But very few people have the option of driving to the port and parking.   If they did, they wouldn't be flying.

Indeed.  My heart goes out to everyone who has been looking forward to this vacation and who are now stuck without transportation to the ship.  Such a shame. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

XBGuy,  by chance on your visit to Loreto did you try the Chocolate Clams?  It's on my bucket list, and I'm on the hunt for a great restaurant between the Malecon and the Mission.

21 hours ago, Scores11 said:

Any restaurant recommendations for Loreto? New port for us so figured we’d check it out 

20 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have had lunch at 4 or 5 different restaurants in Loreto.  They were all very good and fairly priced. 

Our favorite (we do not remember the name?) is just past the main square on the left side of the street.

Thank you to @LACruiser88 for jumping in.

On our only visit (so far) to Loreto we took the Princess sponsored excursion to the clam bake fiesta.  Walking around afterward, I did see a couple small family-type places as @LACruiser88 reported that looked pretty attractive, and I was looking forward to checking one out this trip,

Yes, @iamaqt2we did have the Chocolate Clams at the fiesta.  

DSCF0918.thumb.JPG.2d1849dcb2825a8f2e3585df6839f6b3.JPG

I ate quite a few of the clams.  This lady and I kept taking our table's communal platter back for refills.  In all honesty, while I enjoy most shellfish, these were a touch bland.  However, we had a prepared sauce on the table that, when added to the the clams, made them terrific.

There was plenty of food at the fiesta, and I enjoyed all of it.  However, the Ugly American will not be denied.  I heard more than one comment to the effect that "I can get better Mexican food back home."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Travel today was unpleasant to say the least.  I won't bore you with the small details, but will say that SeaTac airport was a mess at 2:30 am.  I can't imagine how much worse it got throughout the day.  Southwest really messed up peoples plans for travel.
First leg of flight SEA to SFO hit the weather band NorCal was getting and caused quite a bit of turbulence.  No FA cart service.  And a bumpy descent and landing.  SFO to LAX was a short hop but pretty bumpy as well.  Captain came on and said we found a pocket of calm air you have 3-5 minutes to use the restroom.
All luggage arrived quickly, even our carryons we had to gate check in Seattle.  But the bags were really damp.  Makes me glad we use packing cubes.
The taxi/rideshare situation at LAX was a new one to me.  They shuttle you to a different location where you get your transportation.  UBER from LAX to Crowne Plaza was around 80 with tip.  Our driver was very pleasant and handled a scary situation on the freeway flawlessly. He had over 18000 rides.. this guy was a pro.
I had done pre check-in for Crowne Plaza the day before and received an email at 7 am that I was all checked in and keys would be waiting for me at the desk. We booked a King Harborview room. But upon arrival at 11 am I asked if there was a possibility to upgrade to a King Jr. Suite Harborview. They upgraded my room to a corner suite!  As an added bonus I'm Platinum Elite through my credit card so they gave me 2 free drink vouchers.  Those will come in handy after today.

20221227_111438.thumb.jpg.6a13df8cdc2933bbf9a50e800a6a9bf2.jpg

20221227_111617.thumb.jpg.c1d8380aeba2e44de7861af63a5256e2.jpg

20221227_111516.thumb.jpg.e5c9b3ffcad7c663477d208d9571b60e.jpg

We were pretty hungry by this time so decided to wander out and grab a bite to eat.  We've eaten at the San Pedro Brewing Co. before and they were opening at 11:30 so the stars aligned and that's where we landed.  They're a very short 2 block walk from the hotel. Ordered up a round of celebratory brews for surviving SWArmageddon and then grabbed some hot wings and split a Smoked Brisket Sandwich.  Now I'm ashamed to say I was really hungry and forgot to snap a pic, but that sandwich was GOOD.  Super tender brisket with caramelized onions and melted jack cheese on a toasty roll with au jus for dipping. And the au jus was really good, not overly salty. We got our fries Gaffey style which has melted cheese, bacon bits and green onions with ranch dipping sauce.  I have to say, I had both the blue cheese with the wings and the ranch with the fries and this is where they failed me.  I never thought of myself as a sauce connoisseur,  but these just had no flavor and were pretty runny. 

20221227_113014.thumb.jpg.0dee09fd98321a7ede9d836f11353e5d.jpg

20221227_113342.thumb.jpg.ede8b1eb3ddbd5c6cf24a37ea18f1919.jpg

20221227_115325.thumb.jpg.c58bc169cc0c7afe455d279a182c1a31.jpg

After lunch we found a small mini mart around the corner selling bottles of wine and hard liquors called the 7 Days Food Store. The wine selection actually surprised me, and the pricing wasn't too bad.

After this we headed back to the room because a carb coma was kicking in. Took a 3 hour nap and felt much better.

20221227_162228.thumb.jpg.085ccf6efb63ba00f60bfa405cd220a3.jpg

I'm a sucker for a good happy hour, so in searching restaurants nearby for dinner I came across Kalaveras.   I had sworn I wasn't going to eat Mexican food pre-cruise because of all the good food I planned to get off the ship.  But this place was sending out all the vibes I was looking for. And it was only 3 blocks away.  It had rained earlier, but was not raining when we walked over.
The cocktails were really good and the happy hour tacos were amazing.  And a steal at 3.50 each.

20221227_173258.thumb.jpg.28ffd84a61e4eb6521a95b8fd24eec77.jpg

20221227_174136.thumb.jpg.344734cd7bf6f63a5261443b1cc2ae7b.jpg

20221227_173416.thumb.jpg.933aa07c0566298ebd7cdaee5d6e350c.jpg

20221227_173452.thumb.jpg.4252878ffa4c7009d67e4330fb4f61c3.jpg

Chamoynada and Tamarind margarita.  

20221227_174255.thumb.jpg.28bb5fb9d73f5302fab1396be5982ecd.jpg

Mezcal margarita with jalapeño and pineapple.

20221227_180035.thumb.jpg.1d5709a3d23d387f427c36f0b820fc88.jpg

Paloma Negro

20221227_183002.thumb.jpg.6844acef285faa9bc65610c47435a2f0.jpg

Esquites was so good.  It was fresh shaved off the cob not frozen corn.

20221227_174325.thumb.jpg.a889203ece92e34c8b638f61a7f9cbad.jpg

Shrimp Taco, Mushroom Taco, and Pork Belly Taco.

20221227_181906.thumb.jpg.432267d07c3638ea911e4ace69f332ef.jpg

2 Barbacoa Tacos and Mushroom Taco.

20221227_182007.thumb.jpg.154872d9766f6c86977cf4ff582b16d3.jpg

Dolly Parton never promised you a rose garden, but this place does......

In the bathroom.

20221227_185415.thumb.jpg.88f32c67f0a57d387958e784d143d1d2.jpg

Walked back to the hotel in light rain and used our free drink vouchers in the bar. There were a few fellow cruisers chatting away.
Headed back to the room for an early night.
Getting up early to go eat at a cute little place we walked by called Happy Diner.  I like the name, so decided to have breakfast there.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

In Puerto Vallarta, there is a fabulous restaurant for lunch downtown. It’s called Joe Jacks. Google the address. 
Very reasonable price for what you get. 

I am a huge fan of Pipi’s in Puerto Vallarta!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

In Puerto Vallarta, there is a fabulous restaurant for lunch downtown. It’s called Joe Jacks. Google the address. 
Very reasonable price for what you get. 

Love Joe Jacks.. especially the open roof seating.  We travel to Vallarta at least once a year and usually eat there at least once.  Sat up there once during an amazing thunderstorm and they cranked the roof closed.  That was so cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, spingal said:

I am a huge fan of Pipi’s in Puerto Vallarta!

Pipi's has been our favorite PV restaurant for many, many years.  Their margaritas are the best, especially the mango and coconut.

That is where we will be having lunch on this trip.

• Like 4