On Sojourn now..any questions…

lux4me

We have done 3 cruises since the resumption on Ovation,Encore and most recently Odyssey. There are common factors across the 3 ships I would summarize them as follows;(Yes this is my opinion but it is based on some careful probing and conversations with Hotel Directors and Others)

1 There is a huge increase in top down direction from Seattle. This covers many aspects of the ships operation but now many of these  directly impact the guests and the Hotel department. Its all about cost reduction and stock reduction ,no longer about customer delight. Here a few examples

Closure of Dining room at Lunch and Breakfast

Menu's and sourcing simplified and menus shared across the outlets.

Cheaper ingredients other than Keller and Chefs dinner.

Reduced fresh fish or on one cruise none at all.

Pool now unheated

Tour buses now filled up when previously it was policy to fill to 65%

No printed Newspapers or Magazines.

No pre boarding documentation, suit case labels ,tour information.

2 Loss of Key staff members to other lines.

Viking took a lot especially MDR waiting staff.MSC's new line will be targeting Seabourn Head of Sales already joined the new line.

Yes there are industry factors also at work but this is just an excuse for the high turnover and short training period for new staff.

3 The most worrying factor is that Seabourn think Guests won't notice. This board is one place where it is clear that they have.

I write this with a sense of sadness as I regarded myself as a loyalist (approaching 20 cruises).It may be due to the "for sale" over the door and if so get it done quickly Seabourn before more of your loyalist exit.

I'm afraid its time to try another line and for the first time we left the ship without buying the 5% off next cruise voucher.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, adoctor said:

We have done 3 cruises since the resumption on Ovation,Encore and most recently Odyssey. There are common factors across the 3 ships I would summarize them as follows;(Yes this is my opinion but it is based on some careful probing and conversations with Hotel Directors and Others)

1 There is a huge increase in top down direction from Seattle. This covers many aspects of the ships operation but now many of these  directly impact the guests and the Hotel department. Its all about cost reduction and stock reduction ,no longer about customer delight.

This makes me sad as well.  With the huge debt Carnival is carrying now, there is no way that cost cutting would not be underway.  This is just one of the reasons we have stayed on the sidelines post worst of the pandemic.  With air travel and bag delivery such a hassle right now, we have no desire to ad a sub par cruise to the mix.  We have loved Seabourn.  Meanwhile, we are just continuing to read what others say and consider looking at a couple of other cruise lines.  

What are the cutbacks and why is Carnival targeting Seabourn?     We have been on three cruises with Seabourn since the pandemic and there were no cutbacks.   No luggage tags or boarding passes sent to your home existed before the pandemic.    The restaurant being closed at times, especially in port, happened before the pandemic.    We had good and bad service in the restaurant before the pandemic but only good after the pandemic.   I don’t see any plot to downgrade Seabourn except in the dress code and that is being demanded by the same passengers moaning about cutbacks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

What are the cutbacks and why is Carnival targeting Seabourn?

From our recent Seabourn experiences (11 days on Sojourn earlier this month, and 3 voyages last year) I would agree that the overall experience and food is comparable to pre-pandemic.  Staff was as great as ever.  

However we did feel on this last voyage that something was off when it came to provisions.  There was no strawberry jam the entire voyage (neither for breakfast or for afternoon tea to go with the scones), which on previous sailings would have been corrected quickly by the ship staff getting it at one of the stops (or making some) - instead, we bought some a few days in after we realized the ship was not going to despite it being requested.  Likewise we made a special request ahead of time for kombucha which previously was taken care of but not this time.  The small “gifts” that would appear occasionally at turndown before now were just once at the end (the gold bookmark).  All relatively minor, but taken together left us a sense of cutbacks and cost savings.  We had a great time as always, and made a future cruise deposit while onboard, but with the glowing reviews of friends on Silversea and Regent, the return next year of Crystal, and other new lines launching, it seems like Seabourn is not trying to remain competitive at a time when they need to be.  That may be because Carnival has already decided not to compete in the luxury space and is making Seabourn’s financials look better to a prospective buyer by cutting wherever they can.  

Another small nit:  they used to list upcoming speakers on the website under “Seabourn Conversations”; now they only have a few listed.  Is it that they are not booking speakers, or is there no one managing the program well enough to be bothered posting them?  Seeing these cutbacks but not seeing any corresponding additions makes it feel like cost-cutting, pure and simple.  

Edited by johng75370
Typo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, johng75370 said:

From our recent Seabourn experiences (11 days on Sojourn earlier this month, and 3 voyages last year) I would agree that the overall experience and food is comparable to pre-pandemic.  Staff was as great as ever.  

However we did feel on this last voyage that something was off when it came to provisions.  There was no strawberry jam the entire voyage (neither for breakfast or for afternoon tea to go with the scones), which on previous sailings would have been corrected quickly by the ship staff getting it at one of the stops (or making some) - instead, we bought some a few days in after we realized the ship was not going to despite it being requested.  Likewise we made a special request ahead of time for kombucha which previously was taken care of but not this time.  The small “gifts” that would appear occasionally at turndown before now were just once at the end (the gold bookmark).  All relatively minor, but taken together left us a sense of cutbacks and cost savings.  We had a great time as always, and made a future cruise deposit while onboard, but with the glowing reviews of friends on Silversea and Regent, the return next year of Crystal, and other new lines launching, it seems like Seabourn is not trying to remain competitive at a time when they need to be.  That may be because Carnival has already decided not to compete in the luxury space and is making Seabourn’s financials look better to a prospective buyer by cutting wherever they can.  

Another small nit:  they used to list upcoming speakers on the website under “Seabourn Conversations”; now they only have a few listed.  Is it that they are not booking speakers, or is there no one managing the program well enough to be bothered posting them?  Seeing these cutbacks but not seeing any corresponding additions makes it feel like cost-cutting, pure and simple.  

Sorry to hear that there was no sweet sticky strawberry jam on board.

Did they have raspberry and black cherry for you?

I looked at kombutcha as I had never heard of it.

Apparently the side effects of drinking it are stomach pains,nausea and death.

I'm sure there will not be many guests demanding this brew at sea.

I'll stick to fish,vegetables and exercise washed down with lashings of water.

• Haha 3

We were on Sojourn's TA in November. So we have talked to death the doggy issues and the MDR lunch closures.

However, I cannot agree with the OP on the state of Sojourn and her staff. I saw nothing to suggest that upkeep and maintenance was being neglected.  I found the staff universally friendly and willing to accommodate just about any reasonable request. Yes, a number of them are "in training" -- how else are they expected to re-staff after the shutdown? It's how the trainees are being supervised that matters.

It seems people get all in a wedgy about their particular obsessions. Strawberry jam? Really? Is this the Caine Mutiny? A napkin here and there? Not the right 5-cent chocolate on the bed?

I have my own: refilling the wine glass, and addressing the man and ignoring the woman when dealing with wine. It's gone on a long time, and is a persistent issue on most cruises. Now I handle this with a simple "the lady will taste the wine, please".

I don't think Seabourn is back to their pre-pandemic standards yet. I understand why. It takes time. But I think they are making the effort and are on track. We hope to cruise again with them.

• Like 11

On 12/27/2022 at 7:46 AM, fudge said:

These types of posts are quite worrying. We have sailed with Seabourn before but only on the Odyssey. We sail out of Barbados on the 4th Feb on the Ovation, has anyone sailed on this ship recently please?

What experience did you have? 

I realise that food can be very subjective, is there a big difference between the Odyssey and the Ovation?

On a different note, how do you find out how full the ship is at this time? 

Sailed on Ovation last March. About two thirds full. No complaints on food or service. Used the Retreat and found the extra expense worth more than a veranda. Just got off the Silver Dawn. Ovation was better.

I am afraid I do not understand this post 35.

You mean you either did not have a veranda on Ovation and/or the added charge for daily use of Retreat was somehow worth more than the use of your own veranda?

And please explain in what way(s ) Ovation was better than Dawn.

Over to you.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• 3 weeks later...

We did have a veranda on the Ovation. We would step out on the veranda a couple times a day. The Retreat gave us a quiet, private area for the entire day. Service was spectacular and there was no searching for a place in the shade or sun. It was always available. Lunch was served in your cabana. If I recall correctly, the price of the Retreat for the entire trip was less than the upcharge for a veranda. However, this was a Caribbean itinerary, so most of our time was spent on the ship in perfect weather. For cooler weather cruises, the Retreat would not be as useful. We felt the food and service on the Ovation was better than the Dawn. In terms of the ship, Seabourn Square and the Retreat made for a more enjoyable trip. I wrote a full review of the Dawn and it is posted in the reviews section. The Dawn was very, very nice. We just preferred the Ovation.

• Thanks 1

We were on the same cruise,and we were not happy. Other than Thomas Keller and Earth and Ocean, the food was very very disappointing. (side note:, no chocolate chip cookies from kellers restaurant) 

The main dining room was a disaster both nights we went. We sent back several dishes and the waiter could not have cared less. In my opinion, personal service has disappeared. 

A hamburger on the patio looked and tasted like Styrofoam, it's impossible to describe how bad it was.

I never had a problem with bar service anywhere. 

Shore excursions also a disaster, family members booked an excursion on small boat, was canceled at the last minute, with vague and possibly wrong information as to why. Staff was mostly non-existent and lacked experience and knowledge. 

Certain staff were wonderful, others too inexperienced to make a positive impact, but did try hard. 

Minor beefs: bread and pastries, were just not good. Coffee bar was ok, but didn't get takeaway cups until cruise was almost over. 

A few port thoughts. Port Royale in Jamaica was bizarre. It was a holiday, mostly deserted and in the middle of nowhere. Antigua also on a holiday, totally closed. Another port, Canaan was canceled at the last minute. We had planned events with a 3rd party and so were again disappointed. 

Overall, biggest disappointment, was our feeling that no one cared. From HD on down.