Punta Morena on the east side

sandinmyshoes

Before Covid we would always rent a car and go to the east side of Cozumel for a quiet experience on the beach.  Punta Morena is one of the places we liked the most because of the clean restrooms and hammocks.  I have heard they suffered hurricane damage though.  Has anyone been since cruises started back?  How is the condition of their amenities?

We are wanting to avoid renting a car and just taking a taxi to and from the east side, but we don't know how long we will stay at Punta Morena.  It could be a few hours.  Are there taxis available there or can we get the bartenders to call us one?  We certainly don't want to get stranded there.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up or anyone interested:  January 2023

I contacted Punta Morena through email and their Facebook page and never received answers but we went anyway.

To get a taxi from the cruise port it was $100 round trip for two adults.

We walked out of the terminal and across the street and there were lots of other taxi drivers and they took us for $60 round trip.  We gave the driver the time we wanted to return to the ship and he was there waiting on us at the prearranged time.  It was seamless.  So glad we walked across the street!  We spent that $40 on food and drinks and enjoyed it much more.

The condition of the resort is better than ever.  They have rebuild almost everything except the pool area.  They still have clean restrooms.  Tons of hammocks, loungers, and tables with great food and drinks.  The food is priced for tourists, but it tastes really good.  Super soft sand and uncrowded beach to walk for miles if you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sandinmyshoes said:

Follow up or anyone interested:  January 2023

I contacted Punta Morena through email and their Facebook page and never received answers but we went anyway.

To get a taxi from the cruise port it was $100 round trip for two adults.

We walked out of the terminal and across the street and there were lots of other taxi drivers and they took us for $60 round trip.  We gave the driver the time we wanted to return to the ship and he was there waiting on us at the prearranged time.  It was seamless.  So glad we walked across the street!  We spent that $40 on food and drinks and enjoyed it much more.

The condition of the resort is better than ever.  They have rebuild almost everything except the pool area.  They still have clean restrooms.  Tons of hammocks, loungers, and tables with great food and drinks.  The food is priced for tourists, but it tastes really good.  Super soft sand and uncrowded beach to walk for miles if you want.

Did the board at the pier say $100? $60 is the official rate as far as I know.

I agree it is a nice location for a quieter day as long as it isn’t sargassum season. Somehow the view to the ocean doesn’t feel as “open” from the main area since the last storms and rebuilding but they have done a good job with the facilities and it is fine if you walk to the loungers down the beach.

Food and drinks are definitely tourist prices.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 weeks later...

Down the road a bit is a place called Coconuts and then Chen Rio - both great!  We've been a few times, the last time was February 2022. Great day at Coconuts.  Good, clean beach; great food and margaritas. We walked out of the port area first and got a cab for $70 for the two of us, round trip.  That's where we will be headed next month!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

Down the road a bit is a place called Coconuts and then Chen Rio - both great!  We've been a few times, the last time was February 2022. Great day at Coconuts.  Good, clean beach; great food and margaritas. We walked out of the port area first and got a cab for $70 for the two of us, round trip.  That's where we will be headed next month!!

Did the taxi stay with you or come back?

Also there is no beach at Coconuts - do you mean great beach at Chen Rio? Did you walk from  Coconuts to Chen Rio or did the taxi just stay with you?

Edited by c-leg5

The taxi came back at the agreed upon time; he was even early.  

I'm sure we were at Coconuts last year -- there's definitely a beach.  It was small, but pretty.   It's off to the right from the main area - perhaps not actually affiliated with the restaurant.  We had actually intended to go to Chen Rio, as we've been a few times, but the driver suggested this, so we gave it a try.  

59 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

The taxi came back at the agreed upon time; he was even early.  

I'm sure we were at Coconuts last year -- there's definitely a beach.  It was small, but pretty.   It's off to the right from the main area - perhaps not actually affiliated with the restaurant.  We had actually intended to go to Chen Rio, as we've been a few times, but the driver suggested this, so we gave it a try.  

OK   Not sure where you were, or where the “main area” is -

Punta Morena, as originally discussed is large.

Coconuts is up a cliff so definitely no beach. 

El Pesacador is at the side of Chen Rio. 

Snr Iguanas and Mezcalitos are the first two, at the end of transversal. There are a few others in the middle and Rastas at the other end.

Maybe take a look at Google  maps if you intend to return next month.

ETA I may understand now -  do you mean you sat on the beach at the RHS of Coconuts and climbed the stairs each time you wanted a drink?

Edited by c-leg5

I've looked all around google maps - definitely not El Pescasor and we definitely didn't climb up stairs when we wanted a drink.  Also definitely not Punta Morena.   We've been down that area several times on both land trips and cruise stops.  It's definitely past the turn from the transversal.  

26 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

I've looked all around google maps - definitely not El Pescasor and we definitely didn't climb up stairs when we wanted a drink.  Also definitely not Punta Morena.   We've been down that area several times on both land trips and cruise stops.  It's definitely past the turn from the transversal.  

Hmm, let us know where you end up next month. You have me interested.

There are others but those are the main ones around Coconuts. There is a small eco hotel to the left of Coconuts but I am not sure if you can just call in for drinks.

19 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Hmm, let us know where you end up next month. You have me interested.

There are others but those are the main ones around Coconuts. There is a small eco hotel to the left of Coconuts but I am not sure if you can just call in for drinks.

Will do!    It was a great spot for food, drinks, and beach.  As I mentioned, last year we started out intending to head to Chen Rio, but diverted.  We'll figure it out but we'll definitely be heading that direction.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

Will do!    It was a great spot for food, drinks, and beach.  As I mentioned, last year we started out intending to head to Chen Rio, but diverted.  We'll figure it out but we'll definitely be heading that direction.

We haven’t been round the island since 2021 when the sargassum was so bad and it was so hot we aborted our tour! Last year we stuck to west side.

Always interested to learn of somewhere new. The only other one i can  think of in that area was Albertos who built a structure several years ago but never opened because he supposedly couldn’t get a license. Maybe some one new has moved in!

• 2 months later...

Mystery solved:  We were in Coz a few weeks ago, and we did Punta Morena this year.  We did approach Chen Rio, and that's definitely where we were last year.  I think we had thought about doing something other than CR last year and decided to stick to it. This year, CR looked kind of tired and not as great as it's been.  The beach didn't seem clean, and there was no one there.  We agreed, with our driver for the day, that Punta Morena was a better option.  We had a fantastic time.  When we arrived, there were just a few people there, but it did get busier as the day progressed.  Our server was attentive and fun. The food was good, and the margaritas were wonderful.  I also had a massage on the beach - probably one of the best I've had.  All in all a very, very good day.   We got a cab outside of the port.  I typically like to walk a block or two away from the port as the drivers tend to negotiate a bit better.  Our driver was super nice.  We paid $80 total for the two of us round trip, which I think was very fair, given the distance, etc.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

Mystery solved:  We were in Coz a few weeks ago, and we did Punta Morena this year.  We did approach Chen Rio, and that's definitely where we were last year.  I think we had thought about doing something other than CR last year and decided to stick to it. This year, CR looked kind of tired and not as great as it's been.  The beach didn't seem clean, and there was no one there.  We agreed, with our driver for the day, that Punta Morena was a better option.  We had a fantastic time.  When we arrived, there were just a few people there, but it did get busier as the day progressed.  Our server was attentive and fun. The food was good, and the margaritas were wonderful.  I also had a massage on the beach - probably one of the best I've had.  All in all a very, very good day.   We got a cab outside of the port.  I typically like to walk a block or two away from the port as the drivers tend to negotiate a bit better.  Our driver was super nice.  We paid $80 total for the two of us round trip, which I think was very fair, given the distance, etc.  

Sounds like a good day glad you enjoyed. Thanks for reporting back.

we like Punta Morena, away from the main building. Not the cheapest of places but certainly good to get away from the crowds providing not sargassum season.

• 3 months later...

Coconuts is definitely up on the cliff overlooking the ocean.  Great views and service but it's not always family friendly.  The staff sometimes encourages a topless atmosphere.  That's not offensive to us, but if we were with kids, I would not be as comfortable.

They also charge tourist prices for food and drinks, but it is a neat place if you aren't looking for having drinks/food brought to you while you are lounging in the sand at the water's edge.