Thinking of trying the new Oceania ship, Vista. Talk me out of it?

asnaleah

We consider ourselves Celebrity refugees. Meaning Elite Plus on X, but booking more O these days. Our take confirms some of the opinions voiced here:

• O is quite a bit different in several ways. You really need to spend some time to understand how it is different and then evaluate how those differences affect YOU. It is not the same as comparing X to - say - Princess.
  • The food on O is generally superior - especially the dinner buffet with steak, lamb chops and Caribbean lobster tails every night along with plenty of other choices. The Waves lunch menu includes Waygu burgers and a lobster tail and filet sandwich. Also a decent Cuban - every day. 
  • The specialties on O are better than on X and there is no surcharge.
  • EXCEPT for Eden. Eden is the very best that we have ever had at sea. We can not speak to Luminae but we would rather eat dinner on O than in Blu.
  • The entertainment on X is far, far better than on O. We are on the wrong side of 70 and think that the entertainment on O would be good for our parents generation.
  • It pays to take the time to understand O life, O air, the O beverage package, etc. Because it is all different. Spend time on the O Board and all of the info is there.
  • O air can be purchased without O Life. On the O board O air generally gets bad reviews except their pricing on Premium Economy. But then they have each way deviation fees for early arrival or departure. You have to crunch the numbers and the schedules.
  • Even without a bev package O gives you soft drinks, bottled water and the barista coffee.
  • You are permitted to bring your own alcohol on board O for in cabin consumption. Corkage fee of $25 for wine taken to a restaurant.
  • Getting on and off the ship is easier on a smaller ship in our experience.
  • We sailed the Sirena (an R class) on a port intensive cruise and we were happy. On a TA we would not do it.
  • On a longer cruise with sea days X has a big advantage with more activities.
  • We love aft balconies on X but they are few and pricey on O.
  • If evaluating price and value is important, it really pays to put the data on paper or a spreadsheet.. Especially - beverages and what you will consume, specialty restaurants, the O Life Confusitorium, etc.

Having said all of that...we will be on Riviera in a few weeks and have two bookings on Vista.

But we sailed Apex early in 2022 just to get back on a ship and to try the Edge class and we liked it enough to book the spring TA on Apex.

So what do we know????

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

While price is only one factor, I took a look at Royal, Celebrity, MSC and Oceania for the Oct/Nov-ish 2024 period. Here is what I found. YMMV.

All values are for two adults and include any discounts that a D+ on Royal or E on Celebrity may bring. No air included .

Royal

Wonder of the Seas - 11/10/2024- 7 nt Eastern Caribbean - Grand Suite - $8,940, Junior Suite - $4,896

Icon of the Seas - 11/9/2024 - 7 nt Caribbean - Grand Suite $12,617, Surfside Fam. Suite - $6,581

Harmony of the Seas - 11/9/2024 - 7nt Western - Grand Suite - $5,269

On Royal, the Grand Suites above would get free internet. As a D+ we would get 5 drinks a day. No grats included. No OBC

Celebrity

Apex - 11/16/2024 - 7nt Eastern - S1 Sky Suite - $9,043, $800 OBC, PBP, WiFi, Grats included

Beyond - 11/15/2024 - 10nt Southern - S1 - $12,921, $1200 OBC, PBP, WiFi, Grats included

Ascent - 11/8/2024 - 9n Southern - S1 - $10,099, $800 OBC, PBP, WiFi, Grats included

MSC

Seashore - 10/27/2024 - 7nt Western - Yacht Club deluxe suite - $5,260, PBP, WiFi, 

Oceania

Marina - 11/27/2024 - 10N Southern, PH3 - $7,598, House Select Bev. Pkg

Vista - 12/5/2024 - 12N Eastern - PH3 - $10,598, House Select Bev Pkg

I would have liked to include Princess and HAL, but their deployments aren't out that far for a comparable itinerary. The transatlantics are different for each line so getting an exact week comparison was not possible. 

These may not be 100% comparable, but they are what we would be looking at to make a value decision. I can tell you by looking at the above that the Wonder and Icon are a big no-go. MSC is one we have wanted to try -- Yacht Club only from what I have heard. To me, on a comparable basis, O and X seem close.

More food for thought ---- 

mac_tlc

• Like 3

I love the small ship cruises.  My favorite cruise was my Azamara cruise in Southeast Asia.  I would do Oceania if they had an itinerary I liked.  These ship have better dining, do more overnights, and dock closer to cities, which allow for amazing itineraries.  I wouldn’t do them for a Caribbean cruise, but would for more exotic itineraries.

• Like 1