Is it covered?

Ellusionz

I just started picking up insurance with Covid going on for the few cruises I've done since. But luckily I've never had to use it. I just expect if I had an issue it would be covered (local cruising never had to fly).

I am now looking to do a land vacation to Colorado and want to make sure I have coverage with all the crazy stuff happening with airline delays. How is coverage dependent on the reason a flight is delayed or cancelled with insurance?

I also booked a few hotels for our stay in the mountains and wanted to see if I could get coverage if we are unable to get to the lodging due to snow storms or just snow blocking road access?

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

If the airline cancels the flight, they are responsible for compensating you. If you cancel a flight, the airline typically issues a voucher. Either way, insurance is not involved.

Are you concerned about trip delay because you have booked a nonrefundable resort in Colorado?  In that case, your flight would have to be cancelled for a covered reason such as a weather event, strike, or mechanical breakdown. There are a number of stipulations before other provisions of the policy come into play.

Most hotels have cancellation policies that allow you to cancel without penalty if you cancel within X hours unless booked under take-or-pay. It depends on the terms of your booking; however, if you want insurance to cover the loss, you’d have to document that public roads were closed by local authorities.

I’m not sure if I’ve answered your question because I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish by insuring this kind of trip.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:59 PM, Ellusionz said:

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

First let me state that whatever makes you more comfortable, then you do you.

Having said that, please allow me to share my thoughts. If you were to fly into Denver and find that a snowstorm has closed the roads to your hotel, would you be financially distraught or would you be bummed out a little bit? My experience in the past is that most hoteliers understand stuff like this and would either allow the cancellation or give you some type of future credit. (maybe a phone call is in order)

Travel insurance is there to "share" any risk that you have concerns about. They are not set up to "assume" any and all risk. So, what is at risk here? The only risk I can see would be if you passed away on the trip and require repatriation of your remains to your loved ones. All other risks could be absorbed, or shared, with a minimal Trip Cost that has some Trip Delay, a little Trip Interruption, but lots of medical, evac, and repatriation coverage.