Which itinerary? Please help! Solo....

Nataliea621

3 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

I feel like Princess feels different on what the sailing/itinerary is such as Alaska and or Europe. I feel like those might have more solos. I think that NCL is considered solo friendly because they have solo studios ETC. But I think it truly is up to the individual.

I have been on Princess a lot solo - in many destinations.

While I have not gone on NCL ever, I have heard the solo cabins have some what of a party atmosphere. My priorities when I sail are to see sites. They are not to meet other solos, etc... Though - through roll calls and tours, I have enjoyed meeting other solos and couples who I have enjoyed seeing through out the cruise. I am also perfectly content on ship days to go to shows, read a book, watch scenery, etc... I border between between an extravert and introvert - so either direction is fine with me. If I was someone that had to be with someone all the time, maybe NCL would be the way to go.

Again - haven't sailed NCL and have no plans to so maybe I am off on my interpretation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have been on Princess a lot solo - in many destinations.

While I have not gone on NCL ever, I have heard the solo cabins have some what of a party atmosphere. My priorities when I sail are to see sites. They are not to meet other solos, etc... Though - through roll calls and tours, I have enjoyed meeting other solos and couples who I have enjoyed seeing through out the cruise. I am also perfectly content on ship days to go to shows, read a book, watch scenery, etc... I border between between an extravert and introvert - so either direction is fine with me. If I was someone that had to be with someone all the time, maybe NCL would be the way to go.

Again - haven't sailed NCL and have no plans to so maybe I am off on my interpretation.

Okay good to know. However the ships I would be looking to go on with NCL don't have the studios. But this makes sense and once again probably depends on the itinerary. But I am definitely leaning towards Princess but wish they had the Vancouver RTs in 2024 and not the San Francisco ones. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

@Coral do you have a favorite ship with Princess?

I like the older ships. I like smaller ships. Most of my favorite ships have all left the fleet. Many after COVID when CCL had to sell ships to survive. My favorite now of the ships sailing would be Coral Princess and Sapphire Princess.

I am pretty critical of a lot of the changes Princess has made onboard (I am sure they are not alone) but I do think they have great routes in Alaska.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

I like the older ships. I like smaller ships. Most of my favorite ships have all left the fleet. Many after COVID when CCL had to sell ships to survive. My favorite now of the ships sailing would be Coral Princess and Sapphire Princess.

I am pretty critical of a lot of the changes Princess has made onboard (I am sure they are not alone) but I do think they have great routes in Alaska.

Thanks! I prefer smaller ships too especially for Alaska because I’m there for Alaska not the ship. The ones I’ve been thinking about are the Grand or Crown.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

Thanks! I prefer smaller ships too especially for Alaska because I’m there for Alaska not the ship. The ones I’ve been thinking about are the Grand or Crown.

I was on the Grand last Christmas (2021) and I had a great time. The Grand has a covered pool but had Skywalker's (aft viewing lounge) removed due to weight. The Crown has capacity for 500 more passengers because it has an extra deck and does not have a covered pool. The Crown drives me crazy when full. It is too crowded for me. I was on the Crown's sister in November in Europe (Emerald). Thankfully the ship was not full. If the Sapphire Princess is going - she would be my choice. She does hav ea covered pool and doesn't have the extra 500 passengers. She also has wider promenade deck and Skywalker's.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

I was on the Grand last Christmas (2021) and I had a great time. The Grand has a covered pool but had Skywalker's (aft viewing lounge) removed due to weight. The Crown has capacity for 500 more passengers because it has an extra deck and does not have a covered pool. The Crown drives me crazy when full. It is too crowded for me. I was on the Crown's sister in November in Europe (Emerald). Thankfully the ship was not full. If the Sapphire Princess is going - she would be my choice. She does hav ea covered pool and doesn't have the extra 500 passengers. She also has wider promenade deck and Skywalker's.

Thank you! This is very helpful! I am not a swimmer so a pool doesn’t matter to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

Thank you! This is very helpful! I am not a swimmer so a pool doesn’t matter to me. 

I am not either - though it is nice to have a covered pool area when temps are cold. I often go up there to read.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is on my birthday! 
And on Sapphire 

Wed, Jun 21Wednesday, June 21st 2023 Anchorage (Whittier), AlaskaView excursions in Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska on Wednesday, June 21st 2023   08:30 pm
Thu, Jun 22Thursday, June 22nd 2023 Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Thursday, June 22nd 2023 03:00 pm 08:00 pm
Fri, Jun 23Friday, June 23rd 2023 Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Friday, June 23rd 2023 09:15 am 07:30 pm
Sat, Jun 24Saturday, June 24th 2023 Skagway, AlaskaView excursions in Skagway, Alaska on Saturday, June 24th 2023 07:00 am 08:30 pm
Sun, Jun 25Sunday, June 25th 2023 Juneau, AlaskaView excursions in Juneau, Alaska on Sunday, June 25th 2023 06:30 am 04:00 pm
Mon, Jun 26Monday, June 26th 2023 Ketchikan, AlaskaView excursions in Ketchikan, Alaska on Monday, June 26th 2023 10:00 am 06:00 pm
Tue, Jun 27Tuesday, June 27th 2023 At SeaView onboard experience  for Tuesday, June 27th 2023    
Wed, Jun 28Wednesday, June 28th 2023 Vancouver, Canada
Edited by Nataliea621
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

This is on my birthday! 
And on Sapphire 

Wed, Jun 21Wednesday, June 21st 2023 Anchorage (Whittier), AlaskaView excursions in Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska on Wednesday, June 21st 2023   08:30 pm
Thu, Jun 22Thursday, June 22nd 2023 Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Thursday, June 22nd 2023 03:00 pm 08:00 pm
Fri, Jun 23Friday, June 23rd 2023 Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Friday, June 23rd 2023 09:15 am 07:30 pm
Sat, Jun 24Saturday, June 24th 2023 Skagway, AlaskaView excursions in Skagway, Alaska on Saturday, June 24th 2023 07:00 am 08:30 pm
Sun, Jun 25Sunday, June 25th 2023 Juneau, AlaskaView excursions in Juneau, Alaska on Sunday, June 25th 2023 06:30 am 04:00 pm
Mon, Jun 26Monday, June 26th 2023 Ketchikan, AlaskaView excursions in Ketchikan, Alaska on Monday, June 26th 2023 10:00 am 06:00 pm
Tue, Jun 27Tuesday, June 27th 2023 At SeaView onboard experience  for Tuesday, June 27th 2023    
Wed, Jun 28Wednesday, June 28th 2023 Vancouver, Canada

Sapphire would be my first choice for Alaska on Princess fleet. 🙂 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Sapphire would be my first choice for Alaska on Princess fleet. 🙂 

Do you think this is a good itinerary? I’m okay with the one way etc. I’m a pro traveler. And sorry for all the questions. I just feel like you kind of know what I’m looking for…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

Do you think this is a good itinerary? I’m okay with the one way etc. I’m a pro traveler. And sorry for all the questions. I just feel like you kind of know what I’m looking for…

Yes - I do think it is a great itinerary. You are also sailing when there is a ton of sunlight.

It has both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (top glaciers) and then the top 3 normal ports. Many itineraries only have 1 glacier, you have two. Glacier Bay is an amazing day all day of several glaciers and beautiful scenery and Hubbard is one very large massive glacier.

I have frequently done B2B cruises so I start in Vancouver and sail to Whittier and then stay on the ship and sail back to Vancouver. I have done this itinerary several times.

I would fly to Anchorage the day before and spend the night. I would not chance having flight issues as you will miss the 2 glacier days on your cruise if you have to catch up with the ship. You also have a long flight so this will allow you to sleep well the night before you embark the ship.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yes - I do think it is a great itinerary. You are also sailing when there is a ton of sunlight.

It has both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (top glaciers) and then the top 3 normal ports. Many itineraries only have 1 glacier, you have two. Glacier Bay is an amazing day all day of several glaciers and beautiful scenery and Hubbard is one very large massive glacier.

I have frequently done B2B cruises so I start in Vancouver and sail to Whittier and then stay on the ship and sail back to Vancouver. I have done this itinerary several times.

I would fly to Anchorage the day before and spend the night. I would not chance having flight issues as you will miss the 2 glacier days on your cruise if you have to catch up with the ship. You also have a long flight so this will allow you to sleep well the night before you embark the ship.

I’m also maybe going to wait for a year to do this so I can really save and plan it really well. And maybe do what you suggested a B2B. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

I’m also maybe going to wait for a year to do this so I can really save and plan it really well. And maybe do what you suggested a B2B. 

Alaska excursions can be expensive and so is air. Air I just priced out to Vancouver was almost $1000. Best to plan for excursions and be able to do what you want to do than do it and not have money to do what you want. 

Also - there are often last minute specials available. I would keep your options open.

I would try to keep Glacier Bay on your radar when picking out itineraries as it is rarely missed. Hubbard and Tracy Arm can be iced out. Glacier Bay is a National Park and park rangers come onboard. I do like the combination of Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay - so if you miss Hubbard glacier, you still have Glacier Bay. We missed Hubbard on my first cruise and didn't have a second glacier. So two glacier days are good! 

Good luck planning!

• Like 2

Alaska excursions can be expensive and so is air. Air I just priced out to Vancouver was almost $1000. Best to plan for excursions and be able to do what you want to do than do it and not have money to do what you want. 

Also - there are often last minute specials available. I would keep your options open.

I would try to keep Glacier Bay on your radar when picking out itineraries as it is rarely missed. Hubbard and Tracy Arm can be iced out. Glacier Bay is a National Park and park rangers come onboard. I do like the combination of Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay - so if you miss Hubbard glacier, you still have Glacier Bay. We missed Hubbard on my first cruise and didn't have a second glacier. So two glacier days are good! 

Good luck planning!

Thank you! I appreciate your input.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Coral said:

Good luck planning!

This one looks great on the Sapphire! And it’s pretty much the B2B in 2024! so I have a lot of time to plan and save! 

Sat, Jun 22Saturday, June 22nd 2024 Vancouver, CanadaView excursions in Vancouver, Canada on Saturday, June 22nd 2024   04:00 pm
Sun, Jun 23Sunday, June 23rd 2024 At SeaView onboard experience  for Sunday, June 23rd 2024    
Mon, Jun 24Monday, June 24th 2024 Ketchikan, AlaskaView excursions in Ketchikan, Alaska on Monday, June 24th 2024 06:00 am 02:00 pm
Tue, Jun 25Tuesday, June 25th 2024 Juneau, AlaskaView excursions in Juneau, Alaska on Tuesday, June 25th 2024 08:00 am 09:00 pm
Wed, Jun 26Wednesday, June 26th 2024 Skagway, AlaskaView excursions in Skagway, Alaska on Wednesday, June 26th 2024 07:00 am 08:30 pm
Thu, Jun 27Thursday, June 27th 2024 Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Thursday, June 27th 2024 06:00 am 03:00 pm
Fri, Jun 28Friday, June 28th 2024 College Fjord (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in College Fjord (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Friday, June 28th 2024 06:00 pm 08:30 pm
Sat, Jun 29Saturday, June 29th 2024 Anchorage (Whittier), AlaskaView excursions in Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska on Saturday, June 29th 2024 12:30 am 08:30 pm
Sun, Jun 30Sunday, June 30th 2024 Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Sunday, June 30th 2024 03:00 pm 08:00 pm
Mon, Jul 1Monday, July 1st 2024 Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), AlaskaView excursions in Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), Alaska on Monday, July 1st 2024 09:15 am 07:30 pm
Tue, Jul 2Tuesday, July 2nd 2024 Skagway, AlaskaView excursions in Skagway, Alaska on Tuesday, July 2nd 2024 07:00 am 08:30 pm
Wed, Jul 3Wednesday, July 3rd 2024 Juneau, AlaskaView excursions in Juneau, Alaska on Wednesday, July 3rd 2024 06:30 am 04:00 pm
Thu, Jul 4Thursday, July 4th 2024 Ketchikan, AlaskaView excursions in Ketchikan, Alaska on Thursday, July 4th 2024 10:00 am 06:00 pm
Fri, Jul 5Friday, July 5th 2024 At SeaView onboard experience  for Friday, July 5th 2024    
Sat, Jul 6Saturday, July 6th 2024 Vancouver, CanadaView excursions in Vancouver, Canada on Saturday, July 6th 2024 07:30 am

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

This one looks great on the Sapphire! And it’s pretty much the B2B in 2024! so I have a lot of time to plan and save! 

Yep. For me, there is enough to do in each port, that it gives me time do what I want to do. There is a boat ride that requires a long day in Juneau that I like to do (AdventureBound Alaska to Tracy Arm) and then the next time I am in Juneau, I whale watch......  It can be booked as 2 cruises or 1 long one.

You can also look at doing one way and doing land trip in Alaska. Lots of options.

• Like 2

Yep. For me, there is enough to do in each port, that it gives me time do what I want to do. There is a boat ride that requires a long day in Juneau that I like to do (AdventureBound Alaska to Tracy Arm) and then the next time I am in Juneau, I whale watch......  It can be booked as 2 cruises or 1 long one.

You can also look at doing one way and doing land trip in Alaska. Lots of options.

Yeah I was thinking about that as an option too. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 11:57 AM, Nataliea621 said:

Thanks for you detailed response. I grew up in Seattle area and I personally have no desire to spend time there and really don't want a RT from there. And I am leaning towards Princess because the amount of time I am in a port. NCL would be my second choice on a OW North or Southbound. I would love to be on one of the smaller ships as you listed but I am an educator and my budget is much smaller than those can allow me to spend. Thank you for your input though! It is much appreciated. 

OMG! I was in Seattle for three nights in September 2022! I loved it! First thing I thought was OMG if I had seen this area years ago I would be living here! I did the Puget Sound Cruise! That area is amazing! That’s why I’m coming back for three pre cruise days!  I was in Vancouver in July and wow just beautiful!

I live on Cape Cod! The tourist mecca! I’ve been here all my life. It amazes me that tourists come from all over the world to visit! Have you been here? Now the ultra rich are taking over! Everything is tiny, extremely expensive,  run down and crowded! Christmas dinner was $250/pp for a buffet! Not my idea but a friend likes it there! I only go once a year to dinner with her!

Maybe we just think where we live or have lived is lacking. 
I did get a good price for my Oceania cruise but it is for a obstructed ocean view. On Holland America I now get an interior cabin. I find that I spend less and less time in the cabin. As long as I am next to the staircase I’m fine! 
I book because of itinerary. 
 Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days! These are great port times. 
I think this will be a one and done on Oceania because the prices have just gone over the roof! I’m also going Oceania to Bermuda because it goes to St George’s and Hamilton. I do not like going to the Dockyard. I lucked out and got a good price on these two. In the future I’ll be back to Holland America!

3 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

OMG! I was in Seattle for three nights in September 2022! I loved it! First thing I thought was OMG if I had seen this area years ago I would be living here! I did the Puget Sound Cruise! That area is amazing! That’s why I’m coming back for three pre cruise days!  I was in Vancouver in July and wow just beautiful!

I live on Cape Cod! The tourist mecca! I’ve been here all my life. It amazes me that tourists come from all over the world to visit! Have you been here? Now the ultra rich are taking over! Everything is tiny, extremely expensive,  run down and crowded! Christmas dinner was $250/pp for a buffet! Not my idea but a friend likes it there! I only go once a year to dinner with her!

Maybe we just think where we live or have lived is lacking. 
I did get a good price for my Oceania cruise but it is for a obstructed ocean view. On Holland America I now get an interior cabin. I find that I spend less and less time in the cabin. As long as I am next to the staircase I’m fine! 
I book because of itinerary. 
 Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days! These are great port times. 
I think this will be a one and done on Oceania because the prices have just gone over the roof! I’m also going Oceania to Bermuda because it goes to St George’s and Hamilton. I do not like going to the Dockyard. I lucked out and got a good price on these two. In the future I’ll be back to Holland America!

Don’t get me wrong I love Seattle! But not affordable now at all and very different from when I was living there. And the Seattle itineraries (on the cruise lines I can afford)are not that great and I don’t like the idea of not going through the inside passage. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 7:43 PM, Coral said:

Okay so it’s between the 2 week cruise I shared or the same cruise with a land tour. 
It’s the off the beaten path land tour. 

Sat, 06/22/24 Vancouver, Canada 
View general port information 
  4:00pm
Sun, 06/23/24 At Sea    
Mon, 06/24/24 Ketchikan, Alaska  6:00am  2:00pm
Tue, 06/25/24 Juneau, Alaska  8:00am  9:00pm
Wed, 06/26/24 Skagway, Alaska  7:00am  8:30pm
Thu, 06/27/24 Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising), Alaska 
Scenic Cruising
6:00am  3:00pm
Fri, 06/28/24 College Fjord (scenic Cruising), Alaska 
Scenic Cruising
6:00pm  8:30pm
Sat, 06/29/24 Anchorage (whittier), Alaska 
12:30am  
Sat, 06/29/24 Whittier 
+View Details
Sat, 06/29/24 Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Sun, 06/30/24 Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Sun, 06/30/24 Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Mon, 07/01/24 Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Mon, 07/01/24 Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Tue, 07/02/24 Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Wed, 07/03/24 Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Wed, 07/03/24 Fairbanks 
+View Details
Thu, 07/04/24 Fairbanks 
+View Details

20 hours ago, Nataliea621 said:

Okay so it’s between the 2 week cruise I shared or the same cruise with a land tour. 
It’s the off the beaten path land tour. 

Sat, 06/22/24 Vancouver, Canada 
  4:00pm
Sun, 06/23/24 At Sea    
Mon, 06/24/24 Ketchikan, Alaska  6:00am  2:00pm
Tue, 06/25/24 Juneau, Alaska  8:00am  9:00pm
Wed, 06/26/24 Skagway, Alaska  7:00am  8:30pm
Thu, 06/27/24 Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising), Alaska 
Scenic Cruising
6:00am  3:00pm
Fri, 06/28/24 College Fjord (scenic Cruising), Alaska 
Scenic Cruising
6:00pm  8:30pm
Sat, 06/29/24 Anchorage (whittier), Alaska 
12:30am  
Sat, 06/29/24 Whittier 
+View Details
Sat, 06/29/24 Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Sun, 06/30/24 Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Sun, 06/30/24 Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Mon, 07/01/24 Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Mon, 07/01/24 Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Tue, 07/02/24 Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Wed, 07/03/24 Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge 
+View Details
Wed, 07/03/24 Fairbanks 
+View Details
Thu, 07/04/24 Fairbanks 
+View Details

Is this a Princess trip? Looks interesting! A lot of days at the wilderness lodge?

On 1/3/2023 at 8:21 AM, Nataliea621 said:

Yeah I don't want to go from San Francisco. I would much rather spend time in Vancouver or do the OW North or South bound. I really like the 10 Day RT on the Crown Princess. 

Tue, 08/15/23 Vancouver, Canada 
  4:30pm
Wed, 08/16/23 At Sea    
Thu, 08/17/23 Sitka, Alaska  10:00am  6:00pm
Fri, 08/18/23 Hubbard Glacier (scenic Cruising), Alaska 
Scenic Cruising
10:00am  3:00pm
Sat, 08/19/23 Juneau, Alaska 
Water Shuttle Required
wheelchair Access Limited
8:00am  9:00pm
Sun, 08/20/23 Icy Strait Point, Alaska  8:00am  5:00pm
Mon, 08/21/23 Skagway, Alaska  7:00am  8:30pm
Tue, 08/22/23 At Sea    
Wed, 08/23/23 Ketchikan, Alaska  8:00am  5:00pm
Thu, 08/24/23 At Sea    
Fri, 08/25/23 Vancouver, Canada 
7:30am  

I am cruising solo on this one.  Hope you decide to book it!