Choosing a helicopter tour...

babsinpbg

I can’t recommend one over the other as I haven’t taken either. My family did a shorter flight/landing in Seward and it was unforgettable.

Generally, I would consider your time in each port and what else you might like to do when deciding between the two. We sat and watched the helicopters take off in Skagway while eating breakfast on the ship.   The logistics of getting to/from the launch pads in Skagway are right by the ship. Skagway itself is pretty pedestrian friendly as it is a very small town…so ultimately the total time for that excursion would be shorter than the one in Juneau, while the ride/landing times appears to be slightly longer at 40/40 minutes. Whereas for Juneau, the talk of the bus ride to the airport reminds me that Juneau is a much larger city and the travel time to/from the airport will eat into your port time, while the ride/landing times read to be slightly shorter at 30/20-25 minutes. Usually there’s a long port time in Juneau so might not be a big deal but I tend to think of the overall experience when considering such things. Juneau requires ground transportation to see/do many activities so coordinating what you do there in addition to the helicopter is definitely something to consider in your decision.

Also, I would advise that air tours are among the most canceled excursions in Alaska due to inclement weather so definitely have a fall back plan whatever you decide.

Not a helicopter but an flight from Skagway over Glacier Bay by Mountain Flying is a nice option. He is based in Haines but also does flights from Skagway. Probably cheaper and with more flight time. I've gone with him several times and all were excellent.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:33 PM, DougH said:

Not a helicopter but an flight from Skagway over Glacier Bay by Mountain Flying is a nice option. He is based in Haines but also does flights from Skagway. Probably cheaper and with more flight time. I've gone with him several times and all were excellent.

I booked with him for my upcoming May Cruise, just my wife & I based on your recommendation.

Looking forward to it.

She still has no idea of the cruise, it's our 30th Wedding Anniversary the day we leave port from SFO.

Edited by thesmiths

12 hours ago, thesmiths said:

I booked with him for my upcoming May Cruise, just my wife & I based on your recommendation.

Looking forward to it.

She still has no idea of the cruise, it's our 30th Wedding Anniversary the day we leave port from SFO.

If you look at the video on his website that is me heading to board the plane in the blue jacket.  Just found out last year it was there. Lol. 

On 1/11/2023 at 11:36 AM, Crew News said:

I enjoyed the Mendenhall Glacier Walk via helicopter in Juneau.  The glacier is covered with a thin sheet of flowing water.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070067.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070074.jpg

My only helicopter flight in Skagway was for dog sledding in the deep snow.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120105-1.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120153-1.jpg

How was the dog sledding, I have this booked, but I'm scared it might be cheesy. I was also thinking about just flying over a glacier and walking around instead. 

7 minutes ago, jkeo727 said:

How was the dog sledding, I have this booked, but I'm scared it might be cheesy. I was also thinking about just flying over a glacier and walking around instead. 

A sled ride on dirt is cheesy but on the snow is another story. 

The musher has to drive a stake in the ground to keep the dogs from taking off without him/her so you do not get to mush the dog sled, just ride and pose for pictures.   It is a true learning experience and quite a thrill ride with snow flying into your face on the ride.  My favorite excursion indeed.

Alaskan here.

You guys are picking nits. I mean that in a positive way, you know so much, but I think the questions are 101. 
The differences between Juneau and Skagway icefield landings are tiny. Weather and season are huge, neither of which you control. If you want a difference, book the first port. If cancelled there is a small chance you can do it in the next one. 

Dogs are dogs. You’re nuts not to do it if you want to, but they’re just dogs. My daughter is a dog person, and she’d wag her finger at me if she read that. 
If I were from down south, I’d book dogs and go anyway if the dogs are cancelled but they can still make a landing. The dog camps are higher on the glacier, and clouds always cancel them first. Lots of people refuse just a landing if the dogs cancel. Sure it’s nosebleed. Life.

I lived here 10 years not knowing salmon. Now I know. I don’t eat bad salmon. Like Atlantic. Or ‘Wild Alaskan’. Junk.

(King, silver & sockeye, yum.)

You could cruise to Alaska 10 times and not dogsled, then discover you like it. Wouldn’t that be a shame?

And always realize there’s a huge chance your tour will cancel due to weather. Expect it and do something else. If you book the ‘too’ expensive tour and don’t go, you can enjoy the rest of your cruise without stress. That way it’s a win-win.

I’m not suggesting you go over budget. Every port has too much to do, lots of free stuff, but … well, I don’t eat bad salmon. I’m a cheapskate….

Dang it. Maybe I take my daughter up on her birthday. I’m talking myself into it. I shoulda gone to sleep a while ago.

Enjoy. 

Dolphin Doug

• Like 1