STAR CHRISTMAS CRUISE 12/18/22-1/1/23

tony s

We have sailed NCL many times and have never been on such a disfunction and poorly organized cruise.

It started at embarkation out of Buenos Aires. There was no line control and contradictory instructions at curbside. The only cars allowed up to the front with luggage were those that paid the guard a bribe. If not passengers had to drag their luggage approximately 100 yards to check in. It did not matter if you were elderly, disabled,or not. At check in you were given a card with an entry number that was ignored. There was one NCL official from corporate who was present but he stated he had no control as it was "a local show." If you spoke Spanish,you better information and moved quicker(which we did). It should be noted it was the same day as World Cup final and everyone was told to be there by 11am. It took over 2 hours to get on board despite pictures and pre check in being done in advance.Not announcements despite it being primarily a US crowd were down in Spanish with English often garbled.

Once on board, the bars were inconsistent as not having many of the beers and liquors listed on the menus. They blamed supply issues and lack of supplies received in Buenos Aires.It should be noted that these issues applied to drinks featured on the regular drink package but not magically on the up priced products. This also applied for the wine, which magically had the up price ones available but those included in the regular package were not.It should be noted that despite some bar areas being adults only people would bring kids in such venues as Bliss and Whisky Bar at 11pm and have them in a stroller or let them run wild. Management would not address.To make it worsen eggnog!

Food was inconsistent to poor.We ate the first night in the main dining room,Versailles.It took over 2 and a half hours for a Veal Osso Buco that was tough ,dry and no seasoning. The sun-dried polenta had a gray color with no flavor. Note that it took 40 minutes to get a glass of wine. We gave up on main dining after that. We ate in the buffet after that. The Indian was excellent. They had some good theme nights such as Caribbean. However this had many issues. They had cheese but could not tell the difference between Gruyere and Parmesan cheese. Staff did not often know what they were serving. Staff when clearing would either be ready to clear your plate before finishing eating or let plates pile up. Drinks you were on your own for. The ship was full so seats at times were at a premium.

Specialty dining was hit or miss. Reservations were impossible unless you pre-booked or made them seconds upon boarding. Le Bistro was excellent along with Modern. We ate at Cagneys Christmas Eve. We had the fish platter which was served after 90 minutes. It was dry with no flavor. No one until we walked up to Maitre d asked how are meal was. Upon observing our platters, they did arrange for us to eat the next day at Le Bistro,which was considerate. Even those with steaks were complaining. We ate at La Cocina. Maitre D ,who is from South Africa as we are not allowed to use names. We were seated next to the kitchen with an open door way to Gatsby's which had found music and we could not hear ourselves talk. We we asked for something inside or other locale, he snapped that is what is available for two and rolled his eyes,we let it go.The food was ok but again seasoned challanged.

The ship it self had issues. We had to cancel Falklands due to weather. We were scheduled to dock at Puerto Madryn but after everyone boarded it was changed for reasons no one would say to tender. The Captain then cancelled this stop due to winds. As folks were upset both stops which had penguins, the main reason everyone booked,NCL gave a $200 non refundable OBC but no return of port fees. Both tender stops we had Chacaclubo and Puerto Montt were very disorganized with no order. Montt we were delayed for 90 minutes resulting in tours being cut with no compensation. Upon return there was a two plus hour line in the hot sun, no shelter to get on a tender with no one from NCL in sight. When I complained to the Shore Excursion Manager, her response was that I was lucky to get an excursion as others could not, and tendering was not her problem but Operations. She stated she would have someone from operations, contact me. I am still waiting.

Disembarkation took over 3 hours to get luggage and no one from NCL to assist.

Housekeeping was inconsistent. We asked our steward the first day for a matters pad as bed was hard. He stated he would work on. it. Day before we got off the ship, he put it on . When my wife, asked why, he stated he was getting the room ready for the next guest. Guess we don't count. He was also complaining that they were doubling his rooms when they go to muring only cleaning with no evening service as of the next cruise.

A special note on the Captain. Besides giving a speech how happy the guests were, despite numerous complaints about tendering which he never addressed or answering why a port call became a tender that got cancelled.He could not tell time. On New Years Eve he was conducting the count down in the atrium. Despite monitors and numerous guests telling him it was Midnight he was 5 minutes behind. We did see numerous officers out and about. When they did hear a complaint, they took note but no change.  To give an indication, we had a contact who worked on ship in a semi managerial capacity. They reported two days prior getting called into a meeting to be berated that over a 100 guests already cancelled DSC due to poor food and service. Assume many more did as night before the line at guest services was LONG.

A final note on their air. They booked us on LATAM,which despite NCL noting luggage was included charged $120 for a check in bag and $60 for a carry on. When NCL AIR was called we were told it was not their problem but between us and LATAM. This goes to the them of not our problem or responsibility. A poor way to run a cruise line.

I'm wondering if anything was corrected for the the next cruise after yours.  We're booked for the 1/15 to 1/29, out of Buenos Aires, stopping (we hope) in Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, cruising the Antarctica coast for 2 days, stopping at Falklands, and back to Buenos Aires.  Your review is giving me the willies as our cruise is so close to when  you had such a miserable experience.

My husband and I have done several transatlantic cruises, a Baltic, Mediterranean, Central American, Caribbean, and Panama, (all with NCL) and have NEVER experienced what you did on your last cruise.

So far we haven't booked any specialty restaurants, but have excursions booked at every port.  Thank you for giving us a head's up so we can prepare ourselves.  It's a lot of money to spend for a lousy experience.

We were on the same trip and fortunately we didn't have any of the same issues.  My favorite meal I've ever had on any ship was in Aqua.  We boarded immediately, disembarkation was slow, but not horrible for us (self walk off).  Our room steward was awesome and always greeted us warmly.  They always had the drinks we needed except they ran out of Truly the second to last day.  Bar staff was very attentive, oftentimes following us to our seat to take our order.

Yes, it was crowded in the buffet.  We oftentimes ate outside or sat with others.  We met some great people doing this.

Missing the 2 ports was disappointing, but I do believe it was the right decision.  We did get an extended cruise thru the fjords which was amazing and almost made up for it.  

I do think there was some issues with communication, or lack thereof.  They did try to prevent mass lineups, but people weren't listening.

Entertainment was a little disappointing.  The female vocalist and male vocalist were outstanding.  More variety would have been helpful to pass the longer days.

This wasn't our favorite cruise, but we enjoyed it nonetheless.  Everyone's experience is different, though.  Hopefully you'll experience something more similar to what we had vs what the OP experienced.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

If I may ask, how was Christmas celebrated on this cruise? I am booked on NCL Star for this year's Christmas cruise and I know about the decorations and the carols singing but I wonder if there were special events besides that or any religious celebration at all (NCL Spirit used to have a ecumenical chapel but I think it was the only ship on the fleet). Do you also recall if the main celebration was on Christmas Eve (when we should be at sea) or on Christmas Day (we are supposed to be in Puerto Madryn)? Thanks

2 hours ago, sjpo said:

If I may ask, how was Christmas celebrated on this cruise? I am booked on NCL Star for this year's Christmas cruise and I know about the decorations and the carols singing but I wonder if there were special events besides that or any religious celebration at all (NCL Spirit used to have a ecumenical chapel but I think it was the only ship on the fleet). Do you also recall if the main celebration was on Christmas Eve (when we should be at sea) or on Christmas Day (we are supposed to be in Puerto Madryn)? Thanks

How Christmas/Christmas Eve is celebrated is up to the Hotel General Manager, the Food and Beverage Director and the Cruise Director.

I have been on several Christmas sailings on NCL ships, all have have: (1) elaborate Gingerbread Village displays, (2) Santa Claus arriving the lobby on Christmas morning for the kids, (3) some type of a Christmas program in the theater (non religious), depending on the satellite feed NFL football and a full turkey dinner in the dining room(more food than you want).

Enjoy