Trying to understand Celebrity's Cruisecare policy

twentyknots

We’re booked on a January 29, 2023 cruise on Celebrity.  We purchased the Cruisecare policy when we made final payment.  For purpose of this discussion I’ve excerpted the key provision of the policy that I would like clarification. 

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased the CruiseCare, Celebrity Cruises will provide you a cruise credit equal to 90% of the non-refundable value (excluding Flights by CelebritySM, previously known as ChoiceAir) of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Celebrity, for your use toward a future cruise.

We’re thinking of cancelling because we feel like we’ll have to wear a mask much of the time, (self imposed) and will have a negative impact on the quality of the cruise.  We knew this was a possibility when we booked and hoped Covid might not be an issue but recent reports suggest otherwise.  Since our reason for cancellation would not be one of the covered reasons such as sickness or death, etc, what claims process do you think would need to be followed?  I know we have to give notification of our intent in writing before the cruise date so I’d get my TA do that.  Is it as simple as that?  Celebrity just refunds the taxes and port fees back to the credit card, and issued a 90% FCC for the remainder?  No questions asked? 

Also, I note this clause in the T&C’s:  To be eligible for the credits: 1. the travel protection plan must be purchased prior to having made final payment for the cruise;

We made our payment for the Crusiecare policy at the same time as the final payment, three days before the due date, not prior to the final payment.  So, is it semantics or does the Cruisecare policy really have to be paid before the final payment, not at the same time?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you for asking this question.

I've become very familiar with travel insurance over the years, but I've always wondered what the correct procedure was to begin a cancellation and ensuring that the CFAR portion of the policy was acted upon.

So, please do come back and share what you find.

Regarding the question of did you purchase the policy in the proper timeframe? I would surmise that Yes you did.  This stipulation is to prevent people who have no coverage deciding to buy a week before travel because something came up.

Exactly how to properly cancel? This board is a good start, but I would also be asking my TA since they got a nice commission for selling the policy.

klfrodo, thanks for your reply.

I will share what I learn.  In the meantime I'd be interested in what you infer from the policy as to what the likelihood is that they'll actually issue the FCC or try to wriggle out of it somehow.  It seems clear enough, but one can never be sure with contracts

I'm 95% sure that you'll receive the FCC "IF" you follow the proper procedure. I just don't know exactly what that proper procedure is. As I said earlier, I'd be calling the TA and I'd probably call the insurance company also. I'd make sure they understand that you are NOT cancelling yet, you're just asking for the proper protocol.

I quite sure my TA doesnt know what the procedure is.  We had some conversation about this when I decided to buy the insurance and I could tell she was just guessing.  I'm sure she would be willing to make some calls to find out, but I'll probably do that myself.  We havent decided yet.  I would like to talk with the airlines also to see if they will issue a voucher for future travel.  

2 hours ago, twentyknots said:

I quite sure my TA doesnt know what the procedure is.  We had some conversation about this when I decided to buy the insurance and I could tell she was just guessing.  I'm sure she would be willing to make some calls to find out, but I'll probably do that myself.  We havent decided yet.  I would like to talk with the airlines also to see if they will issue a voucher for future travel.  

Yea, when I first started traveling, I quickly realized my TA had no clue what the coverages were and/or how limited they were even though she was cashing in that commission check.

That's why I now go through Steve or one of his fantastic people at TripInsuranceStore.com

• Thanks 1