Parking in Key West

fetzablu63

Going to be in Key West on 1/14/23 with the NCL Dawn. We rented a 2 seater electric car for the day. We are being told by some that parking is a problem in Key West (and may be a charge)? Can anyone provide info from prior experiences there? Thank You in Advance!

I go to Key West pretty regularly, and when I'm there, I see a lot of people driving in circles looking for parking spaces.  Free on-street parking in the tourist areas is very difficult to find. There are several lots, but they are not free.  You might want to find a map and make a plan based on the pay lots.  If the plan is to wander and stop at your leisure - you're gonna spend a lot of time driving around looking for spaces.

Another thing to be aware of is that there are many street parking spaces that are Residential only - and it can be hard to read as the paint isn't always in the best condition.

• 3 months later...

Park in one of the parking garages. It is not worth driving around and wasting time to find a public spot. DO NOT park in a residential parking spot. The FINE is very high and they only take cash. I did what most residents recommended and had no trouble.

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 3:16 PM, fetzablu63 said:

Going to be in Key West on 1/14/23 with the NCL Dawn. We rented a 2 seater electric car for the day. We are being told by some that parking is a problem in Key West (and may be a charge)? Can anyone provide info from prior experiences there? Thank You in Advance!

So how did your January trip work out, any advice on carts and parking from your experience?

We are considering for an upcoming trip, but realizing the driver (me) might prefer to mostly "drive around" anyway and see the general sights - just dropping/picking up the others if they wish to shop someplace.  Uber-via-golf-cart, if you will.  But it would be nice to have pre-selected one or two parking "lots" we know we can pay for and have a nearby lunch or shopping/touring time as a whole group.

• 4 weeks later...

Free parking on the street would be very difficult.  We have used parking garages and fee lots.  The fees weren't bad. Even then you will probably end of walking a ways to get to the main streets.

That said, you really don't need a car to see Key West.  It's very walkable and there are free or low cost trolleys, buses, etc.  In our 70's, we have walked all over the town seeing the main sights and sometimes riding the trolley.  If you are getting off a cruise ship, the dock is quite close to everything.

• 1 month later...

We have spent a fair amount of time in KW, and we park our car in our hotel garage and go everywhere on foot or using the local shuttle bus.  For a cruiser who has normal mobility, I would not rent a cart unless planning to go somewhat afar.  

Hank