Can I used my AT&T domestic cellular service for no charge in St Thomas

Warm-Water Diver

I've read that AT&T has sold their network to Liberty in the USVI.

I've also read that as long as you are roaming off the Liberty signal there would be no charge and is included for now.

Some users state that they were charged went they switched to a tower off local nearby BVIs which are very close to STT in many areas on the island.

Main question: Does the latest iPhones let you know what tower/carrier-signal you are connected to when roaming?? If not I see a major problem in not knowing who you're connected too and getting a big cellular/data bill when you return back to the states from your cruise.

AT&T considers USVI as stateside so calls don't roam to BVI towers except maybe on the far east end of St John. I always turn off roaming on my phones so it can't use other towers.

You should be able to use all the features of your phone just as if you were back home.

I've only accidentally picked up roaming charges on St John, never St. Thomas.  However, to cover yourself, just go onto your ATT account and activate the foreign day pass option.  Then at most you will only be charged $10 for a 24 hour period of roaming.