Question about cabin choice on new Sun Princess, Cove Balcony?

Wishing on a star

I know I am asking people on a chat board to help plan a cruise!!!  A big ask.

We are looking at the new Sun Princess.  And wanting to maintain some kind of budget.  Hard on a new ship with expensive sailings!

So, I wonder if anyone here has ever sailed in a Cove Balcony, on another line like Carnival?

We have sailed Fiesta deck (6) ocean view on Coral Princess.  But have never sailed any lower than that.

Here are the options:

If we needed to keep this in the lower price range,  would you choose OV on deck 5  (risk of noise on deck 6 OV)  or choose Cove Balcony deck 6 mid ship.

Ocean View - $5038.00  Would really like to be on at least Deck 6, but only ones with no obvious possible noise are only on Deck 5.  Steerage!

Cove Balcony - $6058.00   See a good mid-ship location that should have no noise or other issues.   I like the thought of this, except for seeing one video of the ship underway on the Carnival Magic.  That is pretty close to the water!  Ohhhh my!

I don't sail 'inside',  and the standard/deluxe balconies are really above our pay grade!

Edited by Wishing on a star

17 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I know I am asking people on a chat board to help plan a cruise!!!  A big ask.

We are looking at the new Sun Princess.  And wanting to maintain some kind of budget.  Hard on a new ship with expensive sailings!

So, I wonder if anyone here has ever sailed in a Cove Balcony, on another line like Carnival?

We have sailed Fiesta deck (6) ocean view on Coral Princess.  But have never sailed any lower than that.

Here are the options:

If we needed to keep this in the lower price range,  would you choose OV on deck 5  (risk of noise on deck 6 OV)  or choose Cove Balcony deck 6 mid ship.

Ocean View - $5038.00  Would really like to be on at least Deck 6, but only ones with no obvious possible noise are only on Deck 5.  Steerage!

Cove Balcony - $6058.00   See a good mid-ship location that should have no noise or other issues.   I like the thought of this, except for seeing one video of the ship underway on the Carnival Magic.  That is pretty close to the water!  Ohhhh my!

I don't sail 'inside',  and the standard/deluxe balconies are really above our pay grade!

We have sailed a couple of times in a cove balcony.  It was different, but we liked it.

You are closer to the water, for sure. We watched the flying fish a lot! Lol

I felt a little closed in, because of the shape of the cove.  But, still nice.

My concern would be what type

of sailing is this?  If it was rough waters, like going from Portugal up to the UK in the Spring.  Then, no. The waves could be insane!  

If it was Caribbean..then I’d say it’s fine. Both times we did the cove, it was Caribbean sailings.

You are low, so you’d feel it less rockin and rollin.  

So, just depends on the seas, for me.

Add:  We don’t do inside or OV. Has to be a balcony. I’d pick Cove Balcony.

Edited by PacnGoNow

Eastern Med. Italy, Greece, Ephesus, in the Spring.   So, weather and rough seas could be possible.  I don't know that any of the passages or routes might be especially rough, like the one you mentioned.  But you never know!

I found a video of one of these on the new IONA.   And, it shows how the door has an attached hinged full cover that can swing shut over the door and be secured.  I couldn't imagine needing to do that!

Do you know if the Cove Balcony you were in, does the window also have a similar cover?

Just thought I would post this that I found on a cruise website.

The Med. can have rough seas at times.  Overall they rated it number 3. after Bay of Biscaye and Drake Passage.  Fall and Winter seem to be the worst, not Spring. 

3.  The Mediterranean can be surprisingly rough for such a seemingly sheltered sea. It tends to be roughest in autumn and winter when the winds are strongest and there is a higher chance of storms. Rough seas can happen at any time though and spring and summer cruise passengers might experience some rough seas.

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Eastern Med. Italy, Greece, Ephesus, in the Spring.   So, weather and rough seas could be possible.  I don't know that any of the passages or routes might be especially rough, like the one you mentioned.  But you never know!

I found a video of one of these on the new IONA.   And, it shows how the door has an attached hinged full cover that can swing shut over the door and be secured.  I couldn't imagine needing to do that!

Do you know if the Cove Balcony you were in, does the window also have a similar cover?

No, the ones we were on did not have a window. Just the sliding glass door to the balcony.  But, otherwise the cove was similar to the Iona picture.

The Med shouldn’t be big storms.  We’ve done the Spring and Fall many times.  I wouldn’t hesitate to book it.  It does have a nice cover from the sun.  I wouldn’t let that stop me.  At least you can get fresh air, unlike an OV.

We used the inside of the cove to stretch our legs out. There’s a little ledge under the opening.  Don’t know, of course if the Sun is the same.

Some people on CCL absolutely love them.

No, I do not recall a latch to cober them, but it’s very probable.

1 minute ago, Wishing on a star said:

Just thought I would post this that I found on a cruise website.

The Med. can have rough seas at times.  Overall they rated it number 3. after Bay of Biscaye and Drake Passage.  Fall and Winter seem to be the worst, not Spring. 

3.  The Mediterranean can be surprisingly rough for such a seemingly sheltered sea. It tends to be roughest in autumn and winter when the winds are strongest and there is a higher chance of storms. Rough seas can happen at any time though and spring and summer cruise passengers might experience some rough seas.

The latest that we’ve been in the med was November a few times. It was fine.

Spring we’ve done March and April and May.  

We can’t predict the weather.  So, go with your gut feeling.  So, if you had rough seas, it may only be a day

or two.  If you had an OV, you’d feel and see it also on deck 5.  
Just think of the cruises you’ve done…deck 6, usually the midship DR and a deck above the IC.  I go to deck 5 midship, IC, if there are realllly rough seas.  It’s mid and low and I feel much better.