Upgrading to Royal suite from Celebrity suite for Alaskan cruise

thepetries1991

Trying to decide if we should (if it's still available of course!)

We're in a Celebrity suite on Millennium for 9/1/23. Larger balcony would be nice, but will we really be able to use it a lot?  Extra space would be good-it's me, hubby and adult son. Any insight from those who book the RS would be helpful.

We're in a Celebrity Suite in August and largely because of the vagaries of Alaska weather and the additional space, I'd go for the upgrade, assuming the upgrade cost isn't prohibitedly expensive.  Good luck!

Edited by Swordfish1949
  • Like 2

We were on the Millie (southbound cruise) last August.  Originally I was going to book a RS but decided to splurge on the PH instead (because we had our two teenagers with us).  That was a tough decision because the perks are the same, so it's all about the extra space.  Ended up being SO worth it for us (not least of which because of the partially covered terrace).

For you--if the upcharge is in your budget I think it's a no brainer, given the many differences between the CS and the RS.  First, the size difference is there (bedroom, living room, closets, bathroom).  

Second, the balcony is twice as large and has a jacuzzi (though it's not very deep!); some like the jutting balcony in the CS, but I'd trade that for 2x the square footage in the RS).  Third you'll get unlimited specialty dining (whether you use it or not).  We loved Luminae on the Millie but loved gorging ourselves at  Sushi on 5 or Tuscan Grill.  Also, RS/PH guests get preferential treatment everywhere--last minute changes to reservations, special requests, etc--never a problem.  Staff know the RS/PH guests and you'll notice the special treatment at restaurants, bars, etc. RS/PH share the same butler (the best of the best). And last, but certainly not least--you'll get unlimited gelato!  One of my biggest issues with X is that ice cream is included but gelato is $4.5 (c'mon, man!).  

Weather is a crap shoot, for sure...but we used our terrace every day, including 3 breakfasts, evening drinks, etc.  Hope all this helps.  The Millie's a great ship with a great crew (many of whom chose to be on her rather than one of the new E class ships).  You'll have a great time, even in the rain!

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies! We did change to the RS yesterday. Since we're going with our son, the separate entrance to the bathroom was a big plus. Not sure if we'll get a monetary value out of it, but the extra space will be appreciated. And I want the gelato!!! We were excited before but with the upgrade we're even more so. Only 230+ days to go...and it seems like forever....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, thepetries1991 said:

Thanks for the replies! We did change to the RS yesterday. Since we're going with our son, the separate entrance to the bathroom was a big plus. Not sure if we'll get a monetary value out of it, but the extra space will be appreciated. And I want the gelato!!! We were excited before but with the upgrade we're even more so. Only 230+ days to go...and it seems like forever....

Love royal suite on M class but there isn’t a separate entrance to bathroom at least not on sister ship Summit, balcony is huge with its own hot tub , you also get liquor setup with two liters of booze of your choice mini fridge will be stocked with whatever you want and checked daily. Make sure you do Le Petit chef it is a interesting dinner , we will be in our royal suite again in 2 months. Also free pajamas remind butler or concierge to get them monogrammed, they were giving away the bathrobes which could be monogrammed also , not sure if this is still true. 

Edited by George C

If the price is attractive and you are comfortable would do it in a minute.   In addition the the much larger space you will have a little more privacy with the bathroom.   CS your son will need to traverse your bedroom to get to the bathroom.  

Also additional benefits -   2 Liter Bottles of Liquor of Choice and Bar Setup.   Unlimited Specialty Dining and Free Laundry. 

You probably won't use the balcony much as it will be chilly but is really spectacular going through the Inland Passage and Glacier.    You might even enjoy a hot soak in your outdoor Jacuzzi or use the other one in your bedroom.    Also the Bathtub/Shower combo in a CS you take your life into hand when you try to get in and out of the VERY HIGH tub.   The RS has both a standalone shower and a  Jacuzzi tub

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If the price is attractive and you are comfortable would do it in a minute.   In addition the the much larger space you will have a little more privacy with the bathroom.   CS your son will need to traverse your bedroom to get to the bathroom.  

Also additional benefits -   2 Liter Bottles of Liquor of Choice and Bar Setup.   Unlimited Specialty Dining and Free Laundry. 

You probably won't use the balcony much as it will be chilly but is really spectacular going through the Inland Passage and Glacier.    You might even enjoy a hot soak in your outdoor Jacuzzi or use the other one in your bedroom.    Also the Bathtub/Shower combo in a CS you take your life into hand when you try to get in and out of the VERY HIGH tub.   The RS has both a standalone shower and a  Jacuzzi tub

We started cruising in a CS but the Bathtub/shower with the VERY high tub (and I've fractured both my ankles in years gone by) motivated us to move to RS or PS.