Does Saga provide shuttle buses in port?

Brissle

Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be on Spirit of Discovery April 9th cruise Treasures of the Adriatic. 

This will be our first experience of Saga.

Can anyone please tell me if Saga provide shuttle buses in ports, to the nearest town centre?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Brissle said:

Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be on Spirit of Discovery April 9th cruise Treasures of the Adriatic. 

This will be our first experience of Saga.

Can anyone please tell me if Saga provide shuttle buses in ports, to the nearest town centre?

Thanks

Always used to, and I believe they still do - the FAQ (under excursions) says, "If you would rather explore ports independently, feel free to speak to the onboard Explore Ashore team who will be happy to provide travel advice. A shuttle service is included where the town isn’t within walking distance of the ship, with buses running throughout the day."

No extra charge for the shuttle, and the Saga "walking distance" is pretty short - we have frequently walked instead of using the shuttle, and we are by no means the fittest of people.

Bear in mind that in some ports which have very strong taxi unions (Barbados and New York come to mind) the ship is not allowed to lay on a shuttle service, and sometimes if the ship has berthed a long way from the port gate you have to use the port terminal shuttle first before the Saga shuttle.

The daily programme will detail times of the first and last shuttle and the anticipated frequency.

One cruise went a bit pear shaped when the shuttle buses all arrived on time but the buses for the first tour was stuck in traffic, so a hasty change around got the tour away using the shuttle buses, and the tour buses became the shuttle.

The one we got on did not know the local town at all, and we had an interesting detour getting stuck down various streets with locals popping out to help the driver turn around. The passengers quite enjoyed it, the driver definitely did not.

Not too sure about the owner of the large garden we ended up inside when one local directed the bus down a dead end street.

• Like 1

Thank you for that entertaining (and informative) reply.

I've just started planning for the cruise and on the basis of adverse comments about the "included" tours we are looking to be independent in most places.  Our experience of paid tours provided by the ship on other cruise lines has left us a little bruised (financially anyway).

The lady I spoke to at Saga the other day said that information on excursions to be booked would not be available until 4 - 6 weeks before sailing anyway.

thanks for your help.

Found what I was looking for - the Saga walking distance is 500 yards.

As per the latest mini-brochure, your fare includes "A shuttle bus service into town at ports of call when the ship is berthed at least 500 yards away".

Think when we were in Madeira the ship was closer than 500 yards, but the road from the berth was so steep they laid on a shuttle bus anyway.

Forgot to mention, no requirement to declare your intention, just get on the queue.

Walk in, bus back, or bus in, walk back, or bus both ways, or walk both ways.

Just make sure when in popular ports you use the bus identified as Saga (not unusual for people to arrive at the wrong ship).