Any Info on Culinary Arts Center??

Has anyone from a recent HAL cruise booked a session in the Culinary Arts Center? I contacted HAL and was told that they have no schedules or information on when these sessions will take place. Also, you cannot book in advance - only once aboard ship. If anyone has participated, did you enjoy it? Was it worth the $29? How many sessions were available on your cruise?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

I signed up for 3 of the 4 offered on the Ryndam last month. The last session was mainly beverages and it did not interest me. I was able to sign up the day that we boarded. It was important to me and I wanted to be sure to be part of it.

There is only room for 12 guests. The first session was only half full. It took a while for word to get around. By the third session, there was a long waitlist.

It was really fun. It was "hands on". We received nice aprons, a 25% discount at the Pinnacle Grill,

note pad, pen, hat, and copies of the recipes.

Most of the people who attended the first session,

signed up for the rest.

It was fun.

I'll be the first in line on the Volendam February 2007!

On our 10 day Ryndam cruises last November there was 1 cooking class each segment. It was closed by the time we found out about the first sea day when we went to a free cooking demonstartion.

I have no idea how these people found out about the class - but the minute they got on the ship, they went to the front desk and signed up for it.

We went to the open (free) session....got a lesson and a recipe on how to make volcano cake....and then signed up for one of the classes. It was a ball! The classes are limited in size....I think to something like 12 but there were only 8 of us in the first class....and you get a hands on experience with the chef. We'd gone to another if we'd had the time but had spa appointments during the time for the only other class that interested us. We felt it definitely was worth the time and money and would do it again.

I participated in the two sessions offered on the Westerdam, Feb. 5-12. I signed up when I boarded the ship. There was a flyer about it in the little package we received when we boarded. It was really hands-on and only 12 people ould participate. After the lesson, the chef took us back to the Pinnacle Grill to eat almost full-size portions of what we had made. He prepared this beforehand. The chef was Ramon, but unfortunately for future Westerdam cruisers, he is now on vacation. It cost $29 a session.

Shelley

There is a thread a few pages back about the cooking classes and Culinary Arts Center. There is no charge for the demonstrations, just for the classes. I was in 3 of 4 classes on a recent Ryndam cruise as well and they were indeed a highlight of the cruise.

The trick seems to be how to get signed up before the classes are filled. I also recommend doing that soon after boarding.

On our 10 day Ryndam cruises last November there was 1 cooking class each segment. It was closed by the time we found out about the first sea day when we went to a free cooking demonstartion.

I have no idea how these people found out about the class - but the minute they got on the ship, they went to the front desk and signed up for it.

Maybe they found out the way I did! This board! I plan to hit the sign-up desk ASAP after boarding on my 4/1 cruise!!!

I have spoken with the staff of Holland America and Carnival ..yes when you get aboard is the best time to sign...

The limited size is ...well very limited..as are the amounts of these events..

maybe since they see they are booked well this will expand now ((hoping))...

With the funding of this you would expect more events as many people want this not a mere few.. or why would they spend so much if they thought it was not going to provide lots of revenues..

On our cruise, the Fourth, of the Fourth Noordam on March 25th, 2006 AD I hope even getting to sign up ASAP does let my wife participate in them.

Finding no method of signing on online via the Landline and/or even through our agent is amazing.... All they have to do if they are worrying about cancelations is have a fee to cancel...We still would sign on. Are you going to Tip the Chef too? *YES*

Does anyone know the Chef aboard and/or giving classes when we go on this voyage?

The more people which express there opinion whether pro or con about theis Culinary Event the better it will be recieved too.. ask your agents and the Cruise lines...

I'll be on the same cruise with my husbands family celebrating my mother-in-laws 90th. I was interested in the culinary class but decided to just stick with bingo and the games that the family can get involved with too. There is just so much to do on a ship!!!!!

Hi,

Yes there is plenty to do on board and off. Never a dull moment .

Which Ship and Date of your Voyage do you have?

My Father In Law is 90 as well, celebrating this too.

That must have been a wonderful year.:D

I'll be on the same cruise with my husbands family celebrating my mother-in-laws 90th. I was interested in the culinary class but decided to just stick with bingo and the games that the family can get involved with too. There is just so much to do on a ship!!!!!

Archived