Experience with flight included cruises

Cindyshubrook

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Canadian Cruisers board.

If your flight was one that you booked through NCL, there is a good chance that they will wait if the delay is relatively minor. On the other hand, if you booked your flight on your own or through a travel agency, it is unlikely that they'll delay sailing.

One of the best practises for cruisers is to arrive at your port a day early to avoid disappointment. Delayed flights are a regular occurrence, and your three hour gap between scheduled arrival and sailing leaves very little wiggle room. Far better to fly in the day before and have a relaxing start to your cruise.

You might want to post your question over on the NCL board too, as many of us on this board have no directly related NCL experience. You'll probably get more replies there:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

• Like 1

I have to say that I have read more horror stories about cruises being missed because of delayed flights when booked through the cruise lines than good experiences, but that is probably because people with a bad experience will want to vent. I have never put my travel plans in the hands of someone else...I always book my flights direct with the airline and always arrive minimum 1-2 days before sailing. If your flight is delayed significantly then the ship will sail without you...even if they promise to get you to the ship, if the first two days are sea days you are missing a big chunk of your vacation. If you can, see if the flights can be changed.

• Like 1

Many cruise air programs have an option that allows passengers to make their own flight selection for an additional fee.

If one is cruising in winter months especially, it is only prudent for Canadians to plan on arriving the day before cruise departure. While this entails added cost, I can say from personal experience avoiding the stress of same day arrival makes it well worth the expense.

• Like 1