Are portable Hoyer lifts available for rent in Tampa for Celebrity Constellation

NorthernLite

It has finally happened. After 30 years in a chair my knees that recovered to almost normal with rehab and helped my husband transfer me via a standing pivot no longer is very safe for both of us. We will take a gait belt and sliding board but we would buy a portable hoyer except I gave up flying so our van is already filled for back2back cruises. Any companies or does special needs for Celebrity handle these? I would love to arrive with it already in our HC suite.

Cruise lines don’t rent equipment directly to. passengers. Special needs at Sea or Scootaround or other providers approved by the cruise line can supply equipment. I believe both SNAS and Scootaround serve Tampa.

• Thanks 1

You do have to rent the equipment from an external company but do contact the cruise line's special needs department to verify if they restrict the vendors you can use. Some cruise lines do not have any restrictions whereas some limit you to one or two specific companies.

• 2 months later...

We rented a hoyer through Special Needs at Sea for a cruise last fall. It cost ~$650 for a transatlantic cruise of 14 days. Due to a mixup, the hoyer was not delivered and we had to buy our own in the first port. Cost of purchase was about 2x the rental cost, and it was an automatic lift, not the manual model we had rented. In retrospect, I am thrilled because this lift folds down for travel, is heavy but I (the wife) can still lift it, and it doubles as a luggage cart in the airport! I'm relieved to know we have it for all local and cruise travels now. Just saying that if this is going to be an ongoing need, you may want to look into buying a travel lift.

On 4/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, GRBlizz said:

We rented a hoyer through Special Needs at Sea for a cruise last fall. It cost ~$650 for a transatlantic cruise of 14 days. Due to a mixup, the hoyer was not delivered and we had to buy our own in the first port. Cost of purchase was about 2x the rental cost, and it was an automatic lift, not the manual model we had rented. In retrospect, I am thrilled because this lift folds down for travel, is heavy but I (the wife) can still lift it, and it doubles as a luggage cart in the airport! I'm relieved to know we have it for all local and cruise travels now. Just saying that if this is going to be an ongoing need, you may want to look into buying a travel lift.

Would you mind sharing the brand & model lift you purchased?  Thank you.

18 hours ago, nextcruiseis said:

Would you mind sharing the brand & model lift you purchased?  Thank you.

Sure! It was an Invacare Birdie Compact. We got it in Europe due to our emergency need. And it doesn't seem to be sold in the US. But looking at Spinlife or other US sources, I see similar models and it may be worth comparing. It is smaller than the model we have a home, but it does the job when travelling.

11 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Sure! It was an Invacare Birdie Compact. We got it in Europe due to our emergency need. And it doesn't seem to be sold in the US.

Thank you for the information. I figured you had purchased it in Europe since you were on a fall TA. They do seem to have slightly smaller models there.  I am having having a difficult time finding a travel lift that will fit in our vehicle with an occupied wheelchair.