Alaska 07/06/2025 Encore

Tla051866

Hi Tla! Welcome to Cruise Critic! You will receive answers in favor of booking your own excursions, but in your situation (first cruise, solo, presumably first time in AK) I would suggest ship's tours might take some worries and concerns off your shoulders. 

We have "done" Alaska three times and used everything from all ships tours to only about a third ships tours... But never had a ship's tour in AK that was a dud! 

What are your ports? 

• Like 1

Hi Crystalspin.  Embarkation in Seattle, ports Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, cruising Glacier Bay, Victoria BC, then back to Seattle.  I'm really interested in ziplining and seeing the lumberjack show for excursions.  Would also like to see the totem exhibits and the gold rush historic park in Skagway.

12 hours ago, Tla051866 said:

Hi Crystalspin.  Embarkation in Seattle, ports Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, cruising Glacier Bay, Victoria BC, then back to Seattle.  I'm really interested in ziplining and seeing the lumberjack show for excursions.  Would also like to see the totem exhibits and the gold rush historic park in Skagway.

You should be able to find a tour in Ketchikan that includes one of the about three major totem sites (probably not the state park which is longer visit) AND leaves time for the lumberjack show which is very near the docks. Either as part of the tour or on your own. In Juneau I recommend whale watching unless you really have zero interest! In Skagway I would try to fit in a morning train ride to see the route the prospectors took, and generally backwoods Alaska! Our experiences in Skagway were long port days where we had plenty of time after the train to explore town. 

Can't speak to ziplining! 

At Victoria, we were fortunate for a long port day enabling a visit to Butchart Gardens. But I see some itineraries with only a late-in-the-day few-hours stop!