South American trip - port or starboard

soccermom4

Traveling from Buenos Aires to FLL in March.  Have a balcony booked on the starboard side because it seemed to me that we'd see more on that side.  A cabin has now opened up that I'd be interested in, but it's on the port side of Oosterdam.  Am I correct in my assumption that starboard is best?

I must be missing something...if the ship sails north from Buenos Aires along the eastern side of South America, I would rather be on the port side of the ship, since that is the side closest to land.  Now if the cruise goes clockwise around South America (south around Cape Horn, up the west side of South America, and through the Panama Canal back to FLL), then the starboard side might be better, but the OP didn't say that.

As we have gone on more and more cruises, we have found it is hard to know which is going to be the better side of the ship.  Often, the ship is so far away from land that you can't see much anyway.  So what really matters more to us is the view from the side of the ship for the sail-away and the sail-into ports, and also which side the ship docks on in ports.  But it is really hard to know this unless you have visited a port before.  So we don't pay much attention to this anymore.

12 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I must be missing something...if the ship sails north from Buenos Aires along the eastern side of South America,

I based my answer on the ship sailing south from Buenos Aires, around the cap to Santiago and then north thru the canal.....Thus starboard would be the "land" side the entire trip. And that would be preferred.

47 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I must be missing something...if the ship sails north from Buenos Aires along the eastern side of South America, I would rather be on the port side of the ship, since that is the side closest to land.  Now if the cruise goes clockwise around South America (south around Cape Horn, up the west side of South America, and through the Panama Canal back to FLL), then the starboard side might be better, but the OP didn't say that.

As we have gone on more and more cruises, we have found it is hard to know which is going to be the better side of the ship.  Often, the ship is so far away from land that you can't see much anyway.  So what really matters more to us is the view from the side of the ship for the sail-away and the sail-into ports, and also which side the ship docks on in ports.  But it is really hard to know this unless you have visited a port before.  So we don't pay much attention to this anymore.

If you want to see the glaciers going by in front of you, you need to be on starboard side, on portside you will see, one small waterfall..

Sorry I wasn’t clear - it sails south from BA, around the Horn and up the western side of South America through the Panama Canal and finishes in FLL. Oosterdam 32 nighter. The other veranda I spotted was one with the extra big balcony but it’s on the port side of the ship. Sounds like my feeling that starboard is better is correct and not worth swapping for the jumbo balcony.