Amazing things to see in Naples from the cruise port

Eight_Paws

Hello all --

We visited Naples on a recent cruise, and this is a great port to explore on your own.  The historical center of Naples is just a couple of blocks from where the cruise ships dock.  Naples has many historic fortresses to visit (Castel Nuovo, Castel dell'Ovo), the Piazza del Plebiscito, the Royal Palace, a beautiful basilica, and more!

Here's my post on some of the great things you can see during your port day in Naples:

One Perfect Day in Naples, Italy:  Best Things to Do in Naples

Castel NuovoBasilica in Naples, as seen from Piazza del Plebiscito

Happy Travels!

Lisa

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Keep in mind that Naples is a wonderful "gateway port" to many places outside of the city of Naples.  A few examples would be Capri, Ischia, Procedia, Sorrento, Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Amalfi Coast (including Positano, Amalfi and Ravello),  Caserta, and more.  Any of these places can be done on your own (using public transportation) or with a tour.   One can come to this port a dozen (or more) times and never do/see the same things.

I think the biggest negative of the Port of Naples is that there are too many choices :).

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Keep in mind that Naples is a wonderful "gateway port" to many places outside of the city of Naples.  A few examples would be Capri, Ischia, Procedia, Sorrento, Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Amalfi Coast (including Positano, Amalfi and Ravello),  Caserta, and more.  Any of these places can be done on your own (using public transportation) or with a tour.   One can come to this port a dozen (or more) times and never do/see the same things.

I think the biggest negative of the Port of Naples is that there are too many choices :).

Hank

I'm noticing in my search that there is so much to see and do everywhere.  This is our first time to Europe so if we like this cruise I'm sure we will be back many times. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisin73 said:

I'm noticing in my search that there is so much to see and do everywhere.  This is our first time to Europe so if we like this cruise I'm sure we will be back many times. 

Beware, traveling to and in Europe can become addicting :).  

Hank

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

This will be our first time in Naples.  We had a hard time deciding what to do.  We picked Pompeii for our tour and then pizza and wine at a great little restaurant.  We will have to come back again.  My grandmother was from Naples and talked a lot about Vesuvius.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 9:41 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank, very true! 

There are many great day trips you can take from Naples.  We really had a hard time choosing!  (Personally, I wanted to go to Capri, but my hubby didn't like the idea of the ferry ride as he gets affected by mal-de-mer.)

Certainly we'll have much more to explore next time we visit Naples! 

Lisa

My experience this past September after getting off the ship in in Naples was don't bother.  It's a dirty city and doesn't feel that safe.  Think Detroit or Baltimore (with apologies to those places).  I'm going back next fall on another cruise and will be sure to book a tour of the Amalfi coast and/or Capri and skip spending any time in Naples.