Greek Isles private shore excursions

bebe81

Hi all,

I know this is probably talked about a lot. I have been sifting through the posts. I'm new to a Greek Isle cruise. We are thinking of booking NCL Getaway Aug. 2024 our ports of call for the Greek Isles are:

Rhodes, Mykonos and Santorini.

I just got a pricing for a Santorini for 3 adults for private tour is 615 euros. Is that steep? I'm not sure to me it seems overpriced. 

My question is out of all these or some ports  can I DIY? The tours we are just looking for are highlights of the port of call.  Or are there shore excursions that take small groups? I have been looking but there doesn't seem to be much options. 

TIA!

You absolutely can do any of those ports (or just about any other Western European port) on your own.  As a long time very independent traveler I will share the secret of DIY which is simply doing your pre-trip homework.  Know your wants and options which gives you the ability to change plans at any time depending on your mood, the weather, etc.  

There is a lot of information to be found right here on CC if you look at the various port blogs and do a search for your port.  You are already on the right blog for port info and you can use the search option to pull up lots of past posts.  There are also some of us who will usually answer specific questions and give you just about any level of detail you would need to carry out your own objectives.  As always, DIY is about having a spirit of adventure

Mass market cruise lines do not offer small group tours, and while some more luxury lines do have those options the cost can be shocking.  If you do want a small group tour you can usually join with a few others to book a private tour.  The CC Roll Call board for your cruise is where to go to look for some small group tours or post your own ideas.

Hank

• Like 2

All three are easy to do it yourself.  Depends on what you want to see and do, but there are public buses and taxis available that will be much less expensive. We’ve been to all three and only did a private tour once years ago to Lindos on Rhodes.  

• Like 1

Rhodes Town is itself quite attractive to stroll around and there are a number of sights to visit, including the Palace of the Grandmasters and a couple of museums. Read up on Rhodes Town  tourist info websites such as Tripadvisor, and you may find you would be happy to stay in town, sightseeing, exploring and enjoying a leisurely lunch.  Ships dock only a few minutes stroll from the town itself.

Should you want to venture to eg Lindos, there should be taxis available in town to take you there, although you could also check public transport.

As already mentioned, there have been  many previous threads on both Mykonos and Santorini so use the CC search facilty to find them and read the replies.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 5:44 PM, bebe81 said:

Hi all,

I know this is probably talked about a lot. I have been sifting through the posts. I'm new to a Greek Isle cruise. We are thinking of booking NCL Getaway Aug. 2024 our ports of call for the Greek Isles are:

I just got a pricing for a Santorini for 3 adults for private tour is 615 euros. Is that steep? I'm not sure to me it seems overpriced. 

My question is out of all these or some ports  can I DIY? The tours we are just looking for are highlights of the port of call.  Or are there shore excursions that take small groups? I have been looking but there doesn't seem to be much options. 

TIA!

Well, Santorini will be overpriced.  That's just normal.

On Santorini you can get around easily by public busses.  I recommend doing that.  We took a bus to Oia, came back and then took another bus to Akrotiri, and came back. 

On Rhodos we rented a car and drove to Lindos.  It was great.  Then we drove back and saw more of Rhodos town.

On Mykonos we spent most of our time in Delos.   There are no taxis in Myconos (well, 30 for 15,000 visitors), no Uber, so either you walk or take public trasport.   You could take a public bus to a beach, but please remember that there are two bus stations in the town of Mykonos.

Finally, I agree with @Hlitner. Read up on this.  Your questions are just too general.