Origin Mask and Snorkle

RELS

Does the Origin give you mask and snorkle to use and take home? They're not on the list of things to keep in the document provided by Silversea (water bottle, poncho, knapsack), but I keep reading on the other site that passengers get a very nice new set to keep. I would like to not bother to bring mine if this is true.

I know that they were giving them out at one point to allay COVID transmission concerns, but is it still true?

1 hour ago, AliceJ said:

When are you on the Origin? We sail Feb. 4. If you don't have an answer before then, I'll be sure to post back and let you know.

Feb 22. Thank you so much.

Also, I keep reading (on that other site) that we can't bring our own toiletries (shampoo/conditioner/facewash, etc), but I can't find anywhere in the Setting Sail Guide or the official list on the Ecuador/Galapagos website that says that. I would be grateful if you could confirm or deny this info.

Enjoy your trip!

On 1/19/2023 at 11:27 PM, RELS said:

Does the Origin give you mask and snorkle to use and take home? They're not on the list of things to keep in the document provided by Silversea (water bottle, poncho, knapsack), but I keep reading on the other site that passengers get a very nice new set to keep. I would like to not bother to bring mine if this is true.

I know that they were giving them out at one point to allay COVID transmission concerns, but is it still true?

When we were on it August we were given our own snorkel and mask to keep.  We were also give the backpack and water bottle.  I don't recall a poncho.  But I will give this advice.  Bring long sleeve rash guard AND some leggings for wearing under the wetsuit.  We didn't the first time out, but after we got back people said add a long sleeve layer and leggings if you have them and it made a difference in warmth.  Not cotton leggings, but poly and spandex tight ones.  My 2 cents.

Edited by kimanjo
  • Thanks 1

@kimanjo

Good advice. If you get cold easily, as I do, I would also consider wearing a beanie and double up on the wetsuit.  I brought a full length wetsuit and wore the shortie under it. That combined with the beanie and I was actually comfortable in the chilly water.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Bring long sleeve rash guard AND some leggings for wearing under the wetsuit.

I have these for myself. My spouse has the rash guard, but says they don't need the leggings. Maybe I can convince them to at least bring their polypropylene long johns, just in case.

3 hours ago, RELS said:

I have these for myself. My spouse has the rash guard, but says they don't need the leggings. Maybe I can convince them to at least bring their polypropylene long johns, just in case.

Even if you pack them for him, and "surprise" him with them when onboard.  I think it was the snugness, close to the body 2nd layer that makes them work.  A few people also brought their own long wetsuit, and doubled up.  We are full-time nomads and only travel with one suitcase each, so that is something we obviously don't travel with!!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 6:44 AM, AliceJ said:

When are you on the Origin? We sail Feb. 4. If you don't have an answer before then, I'll be sure to post back and let you know.

@AliceJ did you find out about whether they're giving masks/snorkels or just lending? And was there any restrictions on bringing toiletries?

Thanks!

On 1/22/2023 at 10:21 AM, gcornell said:

@kimanjo

Good advice. If you get cold easily, as I do, I would also consider wearing a beanie and double up on the wetsuit.  I brought a full length wetsuit and wore the shortie under it. That combined with the beanie and I was actually comfortable in the chilly water.  

Yes, it definitely would be worthwhile to bring your own full length wetsuit if you own one.  If I were going again, I might even go out and buy one to bring, just for the trip.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:23 AM, mvogel said:

We just got back from the North Pole where we brought Ultra Warm technical Long Johns from Uniqlo.  Is that what you mean for leggings under the wetsuit?

I bought actual swim pants which are pretty much just leggings. As long as the material is reasonably quick drying they should work.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, Rothko1 said:

Yes, it definitely would be worthwhile to bring your own full length wetsuit if you own one.  If I were going again, I might even go out and buy one to bring, just for the trip.

I have a medical condition which requires that I ensure I dont get cold!  In the Adriatic I wear a shortie wet suit and I am fine, going to Galapagos?   I have a long wetsuit, bootees, gloves and hood plus rash suit for underneath.   Not snorkelling is not an option in my book, adaptation is key to comfort and in my case provides accessibility, so a very expensive holiday and needing to spend just a few tens of pounds/dollars for the gear to ensure I can get full enjoyment.   Do it, folks, just do it if you think you might be cold.   If you find the provided shortie wetsuit is enough then so be it but you have a comfort of knowing that you can wear a long and complete coverall if necessary.  The trip is too good to be spoilt by not spending just a few dollar more and maybe having to adjust packing to make space.

Even though the Galapagos are at the equator, the water there is quite cold.  This is not the Bahamas.  The Humbolt current comes up from the south, bringing lots of cold water (that's how the penguins got up to the Galapagos - think about that: penguins at the equator)

So it is better to err on the side of caution and bring more wetsuit gear than to not have enough.  You can always leave your hoodie or gloves or whatever if you find you don't need them.

• Haha 1

I’ve found that the most useful feature of having long sleeves and leggings (swim leggings, in our case) is sun protection. The sun is fierce here and we’d be going through a lot of sunscreen without the extra coverage. We also got 50spf buffs (neck gaiters) so our necks were covered. 

Right now, the water is pretty warm in the central islands, but quite a bit cooler in the western islands. 

The Zodiac drivers are covered from head to foot to protect them from the sun, even wearing buffs over their faces to the bottom of their sunglasses.

For your entertainment, here’s a picture from our snorkel a couple days ago off the island of Isabela. 

D29F15C5-0C93-4A19-9F39-8706A1567418.thumb.jpeg.fb23cb710bd7541f77305fcff2cb8c30.jpeg

• Like 2