Atlantis- Comfort Inn vs. RCI tour

sandym718

We’ll be in Atlantis in May on Oasis of the Seas. My family of 4 (2 adult kids) would like to do Atlantis.  There’s currently about a $200 difference between booking the day pass shore excursion and booking a night at the Comfort Inn to get the passes.  I’m wondering if I’m missing any benefits to still booking the more expensive excursion?  I’m guessing the biggest difference would be if the ship couldn’t dock for some reason.  Royal would refund our money I’m assuming while the Comfort Inn room has a cancellation deadline of a few days before.  Transportation included with the excursion but likely only one way.  It’s only listed as 5 hours and I doubt we’d want to head back to the ship that early.  So that’s almost negligible difference.  Just want to make sure I’m not missing any other benefits to the excursion and/or cons to the Comfort Inn.  Thank you! 

I think you nailed it (we’ve done it both ways). You can probably get there a bit faster taking a taxi ($5 pp). If you do it through the cruise ship, ditch the group when you arrive at Atlantis and go grab a lounger by the big “lazy” River that goes to the slides, and rent a locker. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, amandaepperson21 said:

They no include Atlantis access for single night stays per their website. "Same day 1 night bookings will not have access to Atlantis amenities."

I think that’s only for same-day bookings. Ie. You can’t walk up and book and get the Atlantis passes.  You have to book in advance…and bear the cancellation risk 

6 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Can someone provide a link to reserving a room?

That might be a bit tricky since many sites that book hotels may also offer cruise bookings and you cannot link to such sites on CruiseCritic.  

Comfort Suites is a Choice Hotel brand, so you can look on their site for rates.   

Not that it matters to us cruisers, but I really prefer staying at Comfort Suites rather than Atlantis, too.   I've done so every November since well before COVID and one time afterward, for 3 or 4 nights.  The rooms are nicer, the complimentary breakfast beats the $30 breakfast buffet up the hill at Atlantis, and the pool is open later in the evening. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pellaz said:

That might be a bit tricky since many sites that book hotels may also offer cruise bookings and you cannot link to such sites on CruiseCritic.  

Comfort Suites is a Choice Hotel brand, so you can look on their site for rates.   

Not that it matters to us cruisers, but I really prefer staying at Comfort Suites rather than Atlantis, too.   I've done so every November since well before COVID and one time afterward, for 3 or 4 nights.  The rooms are nicer, the complimentary breakfast beats the $30 breakfast buffet up the hill at Atlantis, and the pool is open later in the evening. 

I was just confused as to the timing. Usually when I go to a hotel I check in after 3. 

16 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

I was just confused as to the timing. Usually when I go to a hotel I check in after 3. 

You can check into hotels at any time, it’s just that your room won’t be ready until the afternoon. If you are actually staying, bell services will hold your luggage. When you check into CS, you can even check out at the same time (we didn’t, in case we decided we needed the room for whatever reason, but my husband ended up walking over and checking out before we headed back to the ship).

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

You can check into hotels at any time, it’s just that your room won’t be ready until the afternoon. If you are actually staying, bell services will hold your luggage. When you check into CS, you can even check out at the same time (we didn’t, in case we decided we needed the room for whatever reason, but my husband ended up walking over and checking out before we headed back to the ship).

Thanks for the information. So which hotel should I be trying to book?  Comfort Suites Paradise Island?

On 1/24/2023 at 5:19 PM, PCWalton1 said:

No worries.  I personally witnessed cruise passengers "checking in" (and then basically checking out, collecting their pink access cards)  at around 10:30 or 11 am. 

CSPI is fully aware of what's going on with cruise passengers.  It's easy money for them.

I have NO idea why guests at Comfort Suites receive complimentary access to Atlantis and Aquaventure (as long as you pre-book your CSPI room by at least a day), but it can be a great deal for cruisers and an outstanding deal for a multi-day Bahamas vacation.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

No worries.  I personally witnessed cruise passengers "checking in" (and then basically checking out, collecting their pink access cards)  at around 10:30 or 11 am. 

CSPI is fully aware of what's going on with cruise passengers.  It's easy money for them.

I have NO idea why guests at Comfort Suites receive complimentary access to Atlantis and Aquaventure (as long as you pre-book your CSPI room by at least a day), but it can be a great deal for cruisers and an outstanding deal for a multi-day Bahamas vacation.  

One more question, How far is it from CSPI to Atlantis?

3 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

One more question, How far is it from CSPI to Atlantis?

The usual "arrival point" for Atlantis is the Coral Towers lobby entrance (you only go to the Royal Tower entrance if you are actually staying in the Royal).   

As of my last visit, taxis had to drop off and pick up at the foot of the hill in front of the Coral and could not go past the gate.  (They may have opened up more since COVID restrictions have eased.)   

The Comfort Suites is immediately east of that drop-off point.  Maybe 200 feet from the CSPI walkway to the gatehouse, and another 200 feet up the hill to the Coral entrance.  

ASK at Comfort Suites where at Atlantis you get your wristbands, because this has tended to vary.  In the past it has been in the Beach Tower lobby (to the right after entering the Coral), or sometimes over in the Royal Lobby on the bottom floor (by the big aquarium windows).    Get a solid answer because you don't want to be wasting any time looking for stuff.   You're paying enough for the experience.  🙂  

• Like 2

Greetings! Also looking to book the CIPI to visit Atlantis for the day- big difference in price given there are 4 of us (currently $250pp on cruise excursion).  But, we’re on MSC and don’t dock till 1pm, all aboard at 6pm for 7pm departure.  I expect that would give us 4 hours at the park after disembarking and taxi rides.  Worth it?  Assume 20 minutes to hotel then walk to Atlantis.  Would do the “check in and out” at once!  
Assume we’d visit the beach and water park?  appreciate your experience! 

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Greetings! Also looking to book the CIPI to visit Atlantis for the day- big difference in price given there are 4 of us (currently $250pp on cruise excursion).  But, we’re on MSC and don’t dock till 1pm, all aboard at 6pm for 7pm departure.  I expect that would give us 4 hours at the park after disembarking and taxi rides.  Worth it?  Assume 20 minutes to hotel then walk to Atlantis.  Would do the “check in and out” at once!  

I’d say not worth it. You need to give yourself time to get back to the ship with bridge traffic. The earliest you’d get there is 2, finding loungers/lockers might be difficult, lines will probably long, tubes hard to find, and it’s pretty huge. When we’ve gone, we were there by 9 am and still struggled getting a lot in, even with having gone to figure out where everything is.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d say not worth it. You need to give yourself time to get back to the ship with bridge traffic. The earliest you’d get there is 2, finding loungers/lockers might be difficult, lines will probably long, tubes hard to find, and it’s pretty huge. When we’ve gone, we were there by 9 am and still struggled getting a lot in, even with having gone to figure out where everything is.

I think that’s good advice. The girls (young adults) are more interested in the beach than water park so considering Serenity Beach (closed Hilton BC hotel - great rebranding for a closed beach resort -ha!).  Just need a quiet place for a few hours! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 1:38 PM, L1211 said:

Wow, yeah, that's an incredibly short visit to Nassau.  😮   

I'd also say not worth it because during the winter months (standard time) the pools and slides, excepting the lap pool, all close at 5 pm.   I think during the summer (daylight saving time) they close at 6 pm.    You'd only have 3 hours to enjoy Atlantis Aquaventure and while it CAN be done in that time, you HAVE to know exactly where to go and hope the lines aren't too long.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Wow, yeah, that's an incredibly short visit to Nassau.  😮   

I'd also say not worth it because during the winter months (standard time) the pools and slides, excepting the lap pool, all close at 5 pm.   I think during the summer (daylight saving time) they close at 6 pm.    You'd only have 3 hours to enjoy Atlantis Aquaventure and while it CAN be done in that time, you HAVE to know exactly where to go and hope the lines aren't too long.    

Thank you!  I think we’ll just find a beach for a few hours…. 

9 hours ago, EmilyMNB said:

FYI I just called the hotel and you don't get the passes now til 3pm so this doesn't work anymore.

I have heard yes and no. I don’t think we’ll risk it.  Hoping for maybe a President’s Day sale with a discount in the excursion 

• 5 months later...