Full payment upfront discount?

SVBing

Not like Viking who requires full payment and offers a small % discount. Since we often book two years out, there is no way I would consider Paying In Full so we won’t be sailing on that line. I don’t like financing their company but it is a nice business model if you can sustain it. 
Mauibabes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Not like Viking who requires full payment and offers a small % discount. Since we often book two years out, there is no way I would consider Paying In Full so we won’t be sailing on that line. I don’t like financing their company but it is a nice business model if you can sustain it. 
Mauibabes 

Actually a crapshoot. Uniworld offers a 5% discount for paying upfront. Glad I took advantage of it. My stock accounts lost a lot more than 5% last year. I could have paid for multiple cruises in an OS for what disappeared. 😢🥺.

Paying upfront reduced the amount I lost.  Life’s a gamble. This year’s market might not be pretty either!

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 1:46 PM, mauibabes said:

Mauibabes 

You may be somewhat misinformed. Viking gives a 3.3% discount for payments made electronically from your bank account (as opposed to by credit card). The discount applies to all payments, such as deposit and PIF.

Their PIF dates are indeed rigorous by industry standards - normally 12 months in advance unless you have another booking, in which case you can usually get the PIF date reduced to 6 months. 

The PIF dates are not the same as the cancellation penalty approach. Initial cancellation penalties kick in a different times depending on the trip - usually $100 up to 120 days for shorter voyages, $1000 up to 180 days for longer. 🍺🥌

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

You may be somewhat misinformed. Viking gives a 3.3% discount for payments made electronically from your bank account (as opposed to by credit card). The discount applies to all payments, such as deposit and PIF.

The trouble  i would have with that is  paying cash well in advance  then something goes wrong  like say  a pandemic or the line goes bankrupt  you are SOL

I know people  do it  but I am not as trusting with thousands of $$ of my money