Land tour camera bag

KYBOB

We are finally going to take our Alaska Land/Cruise tour this year. My question is I know we are limited to a backpack that is 17x14x4. My wife and I both have CPAP machines and looks like we will put those in the backpack along with our medicines, binoculars, ipads, etc. My question is have any also carried a small camera bag? 

3 hours ago, KYBOB said:

We are finally going to take our Alaska Land/Cruise tour this year. My question is I know we are limited to a backpack that is 17x14x4. My wife and I both have CPAP machines and looks like we will put those in the backpack along with our medicines, binoculars, ipads, etc. My question is have any also carried a small camera bag? 

Medical devices are allowed in roller bags cruisetours, with pre-approval, and are not included in the backpack restrictions.  Medical equipment in roller bags will accompany you in the bus and train cargo areas.  On all of my cruise tours, there have been a few roller bags with CPAP users.

The use of a roller bag as noted above will allow you more room for camera stuff in your accompanying backpacks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crew News said:

Medical devices are allowed in roller bags cruisetours, with pre-approval, and are not included in the backpack restrictions. * * * On all of my cruise tours, there have been a few roller bags with CPAP users.

I was thinking along similar lines. Guidance issued several years ago by the U.S. Department of Transportation, copy attached below, interprets the Air Carrier Access Act, the federal law that generally prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities with respect to air travel. The government explains: "The limit of one carry-on bag and one personal bag (e.g., purse or briefcase) for each traveler does not apply to medical supplies and/or assistive devices (including service animals and their equipment). Passengers with disabilities generally may carry medical equipment, medications, and assistive devices on board the aircraft." Although a different federal law, the Americans with Disabilities Act, applies to travel by bus and railroad, that law also generally prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities, and I would expect the same guidance to be applicable to bus and railroad travel. A motor carrier or rail carrier that departs from this guidance could well find itself the subject of a legal complaint alleging unlawful discrimination on the basis of disability.

I would expect that motor carriers and rail carriers will accept this sort of medical equipment in addition to any ordinary baggage allowance, be it carried on, stowed in an underfloor baggage compartment, or checked. I would not expect that "pre-approval" be a condition for carriage, as the exercise of civil rights generally does not require pre-approval. (In commercial aviation, air carriers may require advance notification if CPAP machines are to be used while in flight, for safety reasons, but that is separate and apart from the mere carriage of CPAP machines without use thereof.)

The above should be considered as general information but not legal advice. Consult with your attorney for legal advice applicable to your specific circumstances.

20011029.pdf

Edited by GTJ

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, GrandmaK058 said:

I also have a question regarding carry on tote.  Can seem to find one that has the dimensions of 17x14x4.  It the 4" that is the problem.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The bag dimensions are based on the available space on the buses, planes, and trains used on Alaska cruisetours.  The overhead bins space on buses and the space under the seat in front of you will probably hold 6 inches rather than 4 inches.  The seats on the trains have a lot of foot space and just a small space under the seat in front of you. I have not flown on any portion of my land tours so cannot comment.

What does not fit overhead or under your seat must ride on your lap or at your feet on buses and trains.  A backpack should only contain what you need during your ride (camera and lenses) with other gear sent in your luggage that will meet you at each destination.

On all of my cruisetours, I have taken my Lowepro AW102 backpack with no issues and it fits on buses and by my feet on the train..