Questions about cryptic events on the schedule

fndecker

28 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

Sounds like there are a lot of upcharges on VV.  Is there any entertainment, trivia, etc included in the cruise?

There’s almost no up charges. Everything is included practically. Specialty coffee and alcohol are pretty much all they charge for. There are a couple extra charges on some menus but not many.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

Sounds like there are a lot of upcharges on VV.  Is there any entertainment, trivia, etc included in the cruise?

Actually there are almost no upcharges on VV.  All the entertainment is included, exercise classes , wifi, tips, almost all food, etc.  A few restaurants have one upcharge item, but there is plenty to eat without ordering that item.  The things that have a charge almost always include alcohol, and even those are relatively low cost...like $35 for and event that lasts an hour or more,  They have a deal where you make a food item and they teach about photographing food and alcohol, grog walk where you visit a bunch of bars and drink at each one, personal (private) training sessions with a fitness instructor, etc.  THere is free champagne at the sail away party (unlimited and not hard to get a glass), and at the loyalty program cocktail party.  There are really only a few "classes" that have a charge.  Trivia, mind benders, karoke , book club, crafts, painting, arcade, etc. were all free.  I actually had a problem of too many things scheduled at 10am.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

There are very few upcharges. There is two or three different trivia and game shows included. The bigger production shows are all included. Some arts and crafts are included like summer camp crafts of making friendship bracelets and similar.

Upcharge entertainment generally includes alcohol. Grog Walk is a bar crawl including multiple drinks. Painting and boozy bevvies is just that, painting a canvas with drinks. There are several upcharge spirit tastings but I think the cost of those can be off set against purchasing a bottle. 
There are also several upcharge events in Test Kitchen during the day such as shot for shot, where you make cocktails and take Instagram-worthy photos of them, there is also a food plating and sushi making class.

I’ve done four cruises with Virgin and never paid for any of those activities and had plenty to do. 

Watch out for the posture alignment and skin workshops these are just sales pitches for insoles or vitamin tablets. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Actually very little up charges. Maybe 3 or 4 things are paid. Mostly including alcohol. Pub crawl, painting class with wine……

On virgin there is never any announcements to sell. No photographers pushing. No spa people walking around selling. No speciality dining people trying to promote expensive dinners. It’s really a different experience 

Edited by Db85
Error
  • Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 9:36 PM, greatestvalue said:

Quite the opposite.  The only up charges are the spa, alcohol, a very very few premium food items, premium WiFi (which you only need if youre trying to work remotely or stream regularly), anything gambling related, shopping, and a select amount of onboard activities that involve alcohol (paint & sip, “grog walk” pub crawl, tequila class, cocktail class, food plating class that comes with free flowing bubbly, etc.)

free activities include fitness classes, art scavenger hunt, trivia, a game show style thing, karaoke, puzzle contest, “mind benders” competition, and all entertainment.

There are events in the shops that are essentially sales pitches. But they’re… in the shops… so they’re obv trying to get you to buy something when you’re there.

• Like 1

I agree with all the duplicate posts 😉 I would just add that compared to most other cruise lines, there is a lot more included. I had no need or desire for anything at all that added an upcharge. Who can eat a "Tomahawk" steak? Besides, filet mignon is free at the Wake, and there are steaks at every other restaurant. The shrimp small plate at the dock is the best shrimp dish I've ever had and I couldn't even begin to touch all the food choices at the restaurants, bars, or grab and go's.

I might have been interested in Bingo, but you buy bingo cards at any other place you want to play bingo. And the prizes are significant if you win.

If you don't drink, or want specialty coffees or teas, everything from juice to soda is included. Liquor is $7 to $9 for well drinks and things like Bailey's and Francelico, etc., Fancy drinks are $10-$15. There is free champagne at sailaway and other events, or drinks/champagne you can win just for participating in something like shaking your butt on Scarlett Night. Best cruise ever!

• Like 4

On 2/2/2023 at 12:36 AM, greatestvalue said:

Sounds like lots of optional classes that include alcohol 25 is a deal compared to Royals sushi class.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:35 PM, _tacocat_ said:

nutrition and exercise workshop - never been, but i'd expect a commercial.

rice rice baby is a leftover from their november food & drink month that has stuck around.  there is an upcharge- maybe $25? can't remember from the schedule and haven't done it.  i believe they teach you to make sushi, but you can't eat it because of food safety/handling rules.  i also think that one comes with sparkling wine.  most charged events around the ship have freeflowing bubbles, including a paint and sip, shot for shot cocktail/photography class, plate snap eat food presentation/photography class, 50 shades of play class with dr a, and a few others that are escaping me right now.  they're usually between $25-$35/pp.

i have yet to see the couples massage workshop actually end up happening on 10 voyages to-date.  it's supposedly a workshop that teaches you how to massage your partner.

Do  I need to book as soon as I board for all these classes?I love stuff like this. And can a bar tab be used for the drinks ones or only sailor loot?

27 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Do  I need to book as soon as I board for all these classes?I love stuff like this. And can a bar tab be used for the drinks ones or only sailor loot?

really depends on your sailing, the capacity, and the passengers' interests.  usually grog walk and some of the fitness classes like bungee (currently only on valiant) and spin book up super quickly, but in january, there were spots left on the grog walk even that night.  i think most things have a 24 hour cancel policy worst case, so if you see something you like towards the end of the voyage, you can book it asap then cancel it later if you decide you don't actually want to do it!

bar tab can't be used for the activities with booze, only sailor loot or charge to your folio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1