Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

I suppose this did not come unexpected now for you, but it is certainly not pleasant to have to pack again.

29 minutes ago, reeves35 said:

The cruise director and 2 onboard entertainers will transfer with us.  It'll be sad to leave the remaining excellent crew of Vega.

A real pity then. Hopefully your new crew will be as great.

Unfortunately, you have to cover a bit of stretch if it is Nuremberg to Passau. I guess the logistics are best for the company like that. Many go to Regensburg and then swap from there. You will be on the road close to three hours most likely if you go a direct route. That is allowing for the coach to be slower than a car. Of course, I do not know how the tour in Nuremberg will be organized.

Hope all goes smoothly and you can enjoy the Bavarian landscape.

notamermaid

Just a quick update as I will be a bit busy tomorrow. Pfelling gauge goes into the night with a further decline. 264cm. Which means it has followed suit after Regensburg and has dropped into the statistical low water figures.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, ILoveToCruiseNCL said:

I hope that the water level continues to rise so that others may sail through. We are in Nuremberg today and are doing a ship swap from the Gymir to the Egdir in Passau. 

I wonder if Viking are doing the swap to get the ships back to their planned position.  We are sailing from Budapest on the 3rd of September-scheduled on the  Egdir.  Watching the ships movements I figured we’d be on the Gymir but given your comment it appears we will be on the Egdir after all. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TripPlanner1 said:

Excellent! Let's hope it stays that way through September!

Hope so too. Would be a welcome change to all this fretting and the online reports of drought facing us again, etc.

And welcome to Cruisecritic!

Good to read new names in the past week and see people joining. If you are new to river cruising, I hope you have such an amazing time that you get hooked. Grin. Seriously, from what we have seen over the last few years, very few people do not like it, the vast majority have a great time and some "are addicted" after the first to come back for many more cruises. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 3

Excellent news, Glad the river is at 337cm and hopefully more water for farmers etc. We leave Tuesday for our cruise on the Viking Ve. Now if we can just get some sleep on our flight :). 
We’re excited to see Europe again! 

Edited by ColterBay23

On 8/26/2023 at 5:20 AM, ColterBay23 said:

Good news for the Danube Valley and the water levels. Thanks to “Notamermaid” for all of the helpful updates. Our cruise is next week and we may sail through! 

My pleasure, have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, ColterBay23 said:

We’re excited to see Europe again! 

Lovely to read your excitement.

Europe kind of brings me to the Romans, I have written a few posts in the Rhine thread. Kind of keep forgetting though how huge the areas of Europe are that share that Roman history.

notamermaid

The Limes, the Roman frontier, which separated the Roman Empire from Germania, is not so present on the Danube as it cuts from Rheinbrohl on the Rhine through countryside and ends at Eining (the Roman Abusina) on the Danube. This small place is located further upstream from where ships are allowed to go. The Canal connects to the Danube at Kelheim, see the symbol with the name Römerkastell Abusina:

image.png.1cdc675a2b376c2db70f7cdbef839a64.png

But on a Danube river cruise you will follow Roman history as here the river basically acts as the border.

In the link below see the Limes coming down from the Northwest to Abusina. You can also see Regensburg already existed in late Roman times. Castra Regina, nice short name, Roman Salzburg is  bit more of a mouthful :classic_wink:.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaulimes#/media/Datei:Rätischer_Donaulimes.png

notamermaid

@ultramax12 @island lady Thank you for your kind words.

With tensions easing - for now - may I throw a question into the wider round? Just curious. I mentioned Kelheim (with Weltenburg marked on the map). I remember reading about an excursion. Was that Viking? Does that still exist? Anybody been recently?

Oops, that is three questions. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

P.S: Pfelling at 351cm. Looks to have reached a plateau.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

@ultramax12 @island lady Thank you for your kind words.

With tensions easing - for now - may I throw a question into the wider round? Just curious. I mentioned Kelheim (with Weltenburg marked on the map). I remember reading about an excursion. Was that Viking? Does that still exist? Anybody been recently?

Oops, that is three questions. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

P.S: Pfelling at 351cm. Looks to have reached a plateau.

I don't know about riverboat cruise stops.  But I would recommend a trip to Weltenburg Abbey to anyone that can.   Absolutely beautiful and amazing beer.  I still bring that beer home occasionally for the hubby....when I can find it.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, iticlaudia said:

I don't know about riverboat cruise stops.  But I would recommend a trip to Weltenburg Abbey to anyone that can.   Absolutely beautiful and amazing beer.  I still bring that beer home occasionally for the hubby....when I can find it.  

iticlaudia, thank you for the tip on Weltenburg Abbey, it looks gorgeous and serene. Our Regensburg stop has an optional tour to the Abbey but I had not considered doing any of the 5 (5!) beer or strudel excursions offered since I have celiac disease.