Ripped Off In Rio?

eatsallinsects

i wasn't planning on posting this but my daughter suggested I do so to possibly spare someone else from having the same thing happen.

I got 12 postcards of the QM2 from the purser's office on the QM2, stamped them with the rubber stamp stating: "mailed from the QM2". This was on the trip from NYC to Los Angeles: January 15 to February 22, 2006.

As the purser's office was out of postage stamps,I went ashore, into the terminal building to purchase them.

I paid $12.00 for 12 stamps in a little shop, planning on taking them back to the ship when one of the shop owners started applying them to the postcards. I asked her if they would mail them for me also and was assured they would.

NONE of the postcards have ever arrived!

The money is not the object but I am EXTREMELY disappointed that my correspondents never received them.

I have been told that a month from Jamaica is not unusual. Many other countries do not have a postal service that is anywhere near what we have. (and like to bash).

They may still show up.

Have some patience. Postcards sometimes take an age.

I'm sure that Cunard didn't throw them overboard. And you cannot blame them for any delay in the postal system.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As I stated, I left them in the shop in the ship's terminal where I bought the stamps. Did NOT take them back to the purser's office to be mailed.

Perhaps everyone is correct in believing they will eventually show up but I thought since they were mailed January 26 (27?), they would have arrived by now. Ah, well, c'est la vie (LOL)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has been 2 months, to the day (January 27), since I paid $12.00 American for 12 postcard stamps and left them with the shop in the cruise ship terminal to be mailed and NONE of them has shown up, as yet.

Anybody still think they are going to show up? I sure don't!

I am guessing all the thieves in Rio are not out on the streets!

:o We posted letters and cards from Cuba in August 2005 and not one of them have arrived at their destination but the ones we posted from "HELL" at Christmas arrived in the UK and Ireland within the week.

------------------------------------------

OK! I give up (smile)! Where is "HELL"?

• 2 weeks later...
:o We posted letters and cards from Cuba in August 2005 and not one of them have arrived at their destination but the ones we posted from "HELL" at Christmas arrived in the UK and Ireland within the week.

----------------------------------------

August 2005? OK, you win (LOL)!

Plenty of time yet. A Postcard sent on the QM2 maiden voyage (Jan 04) arrived in naples FL last week!

---------------------------------------------------------

OK, you are CLEARLY the winner (LOL)!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for inserting the postcards in a regular envelope, the would defeat my purpose of having the "foreign" stamp cancelled with the "foreign" postmark but thanks for the suggestion!

Next time (January, 2007, QE2), I will bring them back to the ship to be mailed.

Archived