Gibraltar shopping?

The only other time we have been in Gibraltar we had a very quick stop at a glass factory/shop.  It looked like a great area to shop, sit at a sidewalk cafe, etc.  However, since this was a quick stop on a tour....I have no idea what area it was.  Anyone know what that area is called?  How close to cruise terminal?  Any other helpful info? 

TIA

That will have been Crystal Glass, in Casemates Square (large open square lined with eateries, bars & shops) at the northern end of Main Street, and a 20 min walk from the cruise terminal

Sad to say it closed a few years back.

This news article dated August 2019

https://www.surinenglish.com/gibraltar/201908/02/gibraltar-crystal-close-this-20190802102050-v.html

JB 🙂

On 1/25/2023 at 5:50 PM, John Bull said:

That will have been Crystal Glass, in Casemates Square (large open square lined with eateries, bars & shops) at the northern end of Main Street, and a 20 min walk from the cruise terminal

Sad to say it closed a few years back.

This news article dated August 2019

https://www.surinenglish.com/gibraltar/201908/02/gibraltar-crystal-close-this-20190802102050-v.html

JB 🙂

Thanks for the info!  Are there still other shops in that area?  While we loved that shop....that wasn't the only reason we were thinking about visiting that area.  It just looked like a fun area to explore.  (But that was the only shop we visited on the tour so the only way I knew to describe the area. )  Sad though that it closed.  I would have guessed the pandemic got it but from the date of the article it looks like it died before the pandemic.  

Is it really "walkable" to get from the ship to that area?  

Any good lunch restaurant to suggest? 

Thanks so much for the great information!!! 

1 hour ago, skiiergirl said:

Thanks for the info!  Are there still other shops in that area?  While we loved that shop....that wasn't the only reason we were thinking about visiting that area.  It just looked like a fun area to explore.  (But that was the only shop we visited on the tour so the only way I knew to describe the area. )  Sad though that it closed.  I would have guessed the pandemic got it but from the date of the article it looks like it died before the pandemic.  

Is it really "walkable" to get from the ship to that area?  

Any good lunch restaurant to suggest? 

Thanks so much for the great information!!! 

Yes, Casemates Square is a level 20-minute walk from the cruise terminal, and it's full of shops & bars & such. It's at the northern end of Main Street, which is over 1/2mile long, also level and part-pedestrianised,  and it's all shops (including many for technology, many for locals), cafes, pubs & (minor) sights.

Most cafes & bars have outside seating, good for people-watching.

Plenty of restaurants, but those we've tried or seen are geared to trippers so standards aren't great.

For a "good" lunch you need advice from a local - I wonder if Ollie&BertiesMum will  click onto this thread?

Or mebbe research the better hotels.

JB 🙂

8 hours ago, John Bull said:

Yes, Casemates Square is a level 20-minute walk from the cruise terminal, and it's full of shops & bars & such. It's at the northern end of Main Street, which is over 1/2mile long, also level and part-pedestrianised,  and it's all shops (including many for technology, many for locals), cafes, pubs & (minor) sights.

Most cafes & bars have outside seating, good for people-watching.

Plenty of restaurants, but those we've tried or seen are geared to trippers so standards aren't great.

For a "good" lunch you need advice from a local - I wonder if Ollie&BertiesMum will  click onto this thread?

Or mebbe research the better hotels.

JB 🙂

Thanks again!