Is it OK to cancel my NCL insurance before final payment

applequeen

We have a cruise planned and I want to make sure we are covered as far as insurance. For several years we declined insurance coverage and (thankfully) had no issues. My medical coverage has decent international benefits and we are generally healthy. After a flight delay almost made us miss a cruise last year we have reconsidered our need for it.

We have a fairly complicated itinerary compared to most of our previous trips which were closed loop and usually involved us driving to/ from the port. Our upcoming cruise involves 3 flight connections to get to the departure port, 2 nights pre-cruise hotel, the cruise itself, land travel to departure airport, 2 nights hotel there, and finally 3 connections for flights to get home.

I originally booked separate insurance through the airlines for the flights. It was through Allianz. I added the standard NCL coverage to the cruise booking.

After considering the total cost of this trip I wondered if it might be best to book a separate policy that would cover the entire trip. I'm way past my date to cancel the flight insurance but Allianz said if I booked another policy through them that they would refund (and cancel) the flight policy. For that reason I'm focused on Allianz since I would otherwise be past the date to cancel and I don't want to lose $. 

If I cancel the standard coverage from NCL https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/NCL_Standard_Generic_COI_7_21.pdf and book the One Trip Prime option from Allianz https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/find-a-plan/onetrip-prime.htm I could save a couple hundred $. I looked at the annual plans but (for this year) it doesn't make sense for us. There are times when an annual plan might work but for various reasons we likely won't have much non work related travel .

Is this a good plan? Should I keep both policies? I really like the potential to save $ with the Allianz policy but not if it's going to put us at risk if we have to cancel. Will there be any issues with NCL if I miss the cruise and have coverage under the Allianz policy?

I initially was going to stay away from offering my opinion just due to what I perceive as a very complicated situation.

My experience and reading of the Airline Allianz policy (and almost all airlines that I've dealt with sell the same policy) is that there are very limited circumstances that they actually cover. Also, in my experience, the airlines are very easy to work with when circumstances do arise. Especially if you have status and especially if you are polite when needing their empathy and assistance in resolving an issue.

If you read the policy regarding the NCL policy, I believe the cruise is when your policy begins and ends coverage. It doesn't cover the 3 days of travel prior or the days post cruise. I purchase a policy that begins when I lock the front door and ends when I step back into my house.

I used to have an Employer group medical policy that did include an international rider, however, after asking very specific questions, I decided that it was woefully insufficient for what I felt comfortable with. Therefore, I still purchase a plan that includes medical as primary and repatriation of remains.

Now, to answer your question of is this a good plan? That's on you. If you're happy and it meets your needs? Then go for it. Everyone's needs and expectations are different. Travel Insurance is not designed to cover any and every possible situation that may arise. One has to decide for themselves what level of risk they want to assume and what level of risk they want to share with insurance.  For me? I'd go a different route.

Edited by klfrodo

People are reluctant to respond because you indeed have a complex situation, partly because you are doing this in reverse. It is easier to asses your needs first, then find an appropriate policy. That said, I do not have any personal experience with Allianz, but many Cruise Critic participants have found it completely satisfactory.

The only concerns I have is that the medical coverage caps at $50,000, and you  probably won’t be covered for pre-existing conditions unless you are still in the 14-day window to qualify for the waiver.

The advantage with Allianz is that you will be covered from the time you leave home until you return. I expect that NCL covers you only during the cruise, not the land portion unless you booked it through NCL as well.

The advantage of NCL is that it does have a Cancel For Any Reason provision.

I don’t know that it makes sense to keep both policies. People buy third-party policies all the time. You are not obligated to have NCL insurance in order to be covered for cancellation. Just be sure you read the Allianz policy so that you understand what is covered. Be clear about the definition of a pre-existing condition and to whom it applies.

Edited by Babr

Thanks! To clarify a few things

If I book the Allianz plan I would no longer have the flight policy (which I didn't expect much from anyway). The Allianz plan I would book would replace the airline policy and the NCL policy to cover my entire trip (flights, hotel, cruise, etc.). 

We'll be in Alaska most of the trip (other than a few days in Vancouver). My insurance (BCBS with out of network option) will likely cover anything that would happen in AK. I also can't think of a single pre-existing condition. We don't really take medications or have any health issues that would impact our ability to travel. I guess it's possible we could be diagnosed with something between now and the trip. I'm mostly worried about something like Covid preventing us from going but it looks like Allianz has epidemic coverage.

The NCL "Cancel for any reason" is what gives me pause but as long as the Allianz plan would reimburse for anything NCL doesn't cover (because I won't have coverage with NCL) I think I am ok (aren't I)? That's really my question. Does the Allianz policy cover me? I see that NCL will issue a credit for 75%. I would rather have 100% of my $ refunded and I think that is what I would get from Allianz.

Random thoughts - 

Flights typically don't get reimbursed by insurance. The airlines issue vouchers if you cancel. They issue credit if they cancel. Insurance is not involved if you are compensated by the airline.

Hotels are usually refundable depending on your booking terms. Decide if you want to include the cost in the amount insured. It will impact the premium.

You can use the $50,000 to supplement your coverage from BCBS. Be prepared to pay up front and file with BCBS and Allianz when you return.

A pre-existing condition refers to anything in your medical history during the look-back period. It could be a test, treatment, reported new symptom / diagnosis or even a prescription change. If it can be tied to your reason for cancellation, the claim will be denied. You are covered if anything develops after you purchase insurance.

CFAR coverage is important only if you cancel for a reason not covered in the policy. You are covered for a number of reasons listed in the Allianz policy, and yes you get 100% cash reimbursement.

Click on the link to the certificate of coverage to see the list of covered reasons.

Right. My flights were paid using a credit I had. The rest of the family’s flights were new purchases. Flying is a nightmare most of the time and I just want to protect us as best I can. I had to file a complaint with DOT to get a refund last year. AA was refusing to refund a flight I cancelled (I had clearly booked a refundable fare… it was unbelievable. I even confirmed with customer service before I cancelled). The entire experience made me want to cover and cover again all my bases. 🙂

We have high credit limits so paying upfront for anything not filed directly with BCBS is ok. From what I read about the pre existing conditions it applies to the 120 days prior to the plan’s purchase. Other than some urgent care type (cold/ flu stuff) we haven’t had any tests or procedures so it shouldn’t be an issue.

everything I read seems to indicate that 3rd party insurance is generally cheaper with better coverage. I am probably overthinking the entire thing.

Now that I see it's an Alaska cruise, I'm rethinking the whole thing.

If I were in your shoes, I would drop the Airline insurance (if that's even possible)

I would keep NCL because CFAR seems important to you. (Thinking that if you have all this insurance will get you back 100% of your money is an unrealistic situation in my opinion). NCL CFAR policy allows you to cancel up until scheduled sailing date and time. Allianz probably requires you to cancel 48 hours prior to scheduled sailing.

NCL medical is seconday anyway. What that means is that you'll have to file with your BCBS first. Alaska has first rate hospitals up and down SE Alaska.

Before you decide, consider the fact that you have several connecting flights to reach your destination. Allianz provides for cancellation under certain circumstances if your carrier can’t get you to your departure point within 24 hours. They will reimburse you for alternate transportation if you can get there by other means.  See #9 under Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption. Also see the section for Trip Delay.

Thanks for the advice. There were so many points to consider (and unknown potential travel issues). In the end I dropped the NCL coverage and went with Allianz to cover the entire trip. We are more likely to have issues getting to/ from the cruise compared to the cruise itself. I can't think of anything other than a covered reason that would make us cancel the cruise at the last minute.