Update from TA - MSC

phissy

More than a decade ago both Carnival and Royal Caribbean went to a uniform pricing policy where all distribution channels had to quote the same price. So whether you went to the cruise line's website or booked through an internet mega-agency or your local travel agent down the street, everyone quoted the same price. The supposed purpose was to take some of the pricing power away from those mega-agencies which were beginning to control the cruise lines rather than the other way around. Perhaps MSC is now switching to that model.

In reality, while everyone's price is the same, the other offers differ whether it be cash back after the cruise, prepaid gratuities, frequent flyer miles, etc. So it does still pay to shop around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Right it has to come from the TA not MSC

@phissy for the first time we just used a TA for our upcoming NCL cruise because of the “perks”. 

We are receiving “cash back” in the form or a check or prepaid Visa card (our choice) after we cruise plus a couple of other things. 

I never saw that before however I never used a TA so there’s that lol

I wonder if this cash back thing is new?

We had always used the big box store ( founded in Seattle) for travel. Their travel site also books cruises and we always used them for our NCL Cruises.

They always gave us a cash card at the completion of cruise.  They were also able to give us some additional OBC, if they had a promo.

Since they do not do MSC cruises, we had to find another travel agent when we started cruising MSC.

We have used him for all our MSC cruises since 2018.

He had always discounted price on our final invoice. No additional OBC etc from his agency.

now, I guess I have to decide how to use the OBC.

DSC is one on the list.

• Thanks 1