Southbound cruise tour

stooth

I would like to ask if anyone has done the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks before cruise tour?   Main question...how far are the train stations from the airports...ANC and FAI???  Thank you in advance!

The train between  Anchorage and Denali is more scenic and more entertaining (narration of guide).  The train between Denali and Fairbanks is shorter but not as scenic.  I prefer the bus between Denali and Fairbanks.  You get there much faster and the highway is more interesting.  

Before a cruise tour?  The train is included on many cruise tours.  Fly in to either Fairbanks or Anchorage to begin your tour.  We have also flown from Fairbanks to Anchorage as part of a cruise tour.  That’s a long train ride between Anchorage and Fairbanks!

On 1/27/2023 at 10:58 PM, stooth said:

I would like to ask if anyone has done the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks before cruise tour? Main question...how far are the train stations from the airports...ANC and FAI???

The main question: a modest distance, doable by either local public transportation or for-hire vehicle.

Many people people have traveled on the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks, but usually as a post-cruise excursion. Before a cruise, many more people travel on the Alaska Railroad in the opposite direction, from Fairbanks to Anchorage. The logistics typically work out better in this manner. Are there particular questions for this railroad journey?

• 3 weeks later...

We are flying into ANC staying the night and then taking the AA railroad to Fairbanks the next morning.

Then we will meet our cruise tour there,  Where it starts.  We were going to fly from ANC to FAI but we figured the railroad would me more scenic than that.  

Thanks for all the info!

2 hours ago, stooth said:

We are flying into ANC staying the night and then taking the AA railroad to Fairbanks the next morning. Then we will meet our cruise tour there, Where it starts. We were going to fly from ANC to FAI but we figured the railroad would me more scenic than that.

You should have a great trip! One thing you should consider is the service to utilize on the northbound trip. There is one train per day, known as the Denali Star, but three distinct services offered. The Alaska Railroad itself offers basic coach service ("Adventure Class") and first class ("GoldStar Service"). Premier Alaska Tours offers a private car service (the car being attached to the same train), known as the "Wilderness Express," and which offers service comparable to the "GoldStar Service" offered by the Alaska Railroad. Do take a look at the distinctions among these three services in deciding what would be most suitable for you.