River Amazon cruise . . . some questions.

Fletcher

22 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and the links.  I've looked into all this with my customary eye for detail and have come to the conclusion that this part of the Amazon is not for us.  We have done an Amazon lodge stay in Ecuador and had a fairly immersive experience.  This Brazilian end, from the ocean to Manaus, looks too much like a commercial waterway and feeding ground for big slush barges - ie, cruise ships.  I have also come to realise that I'm attracted most of all by the other ports that you sometimes get with the Manaus trips - ports like Paramaribo and Georgetown and also the Bijagos Archipelago on the Wind trip I was considering.  I've also decided not to book anything like this until we return from our Cloud trip in April/May.  

Thanks again everyone.  This is such a valuable resource.

agree. we had a better experience there too. (Ecuador)

Agreed for wild life a jungle lodge can’t be beaten. We also stayed at an Ecuadorian lodge. The most memorable moment was when we were in a canoe and a huge Anaconda surfaced right beside me. We were literally head to head. Fortunately it seemed more scared of me than I of him.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 11:11 PM, Fletcher said:

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and the links.  I've looked into all this with my customary eye for detail and have come to the conclusion that this part of the Amazon is not for us.  We have done an Amazon lodge stay in Ecuador and had a fairly immersive experience.  This Brazilian end, from the ocean to Manaus, looks too much like a commercial waterway and feeding ground for big slush barges - ie, cruise ships.  I have also come to realise that I'm attracted most of all by the other ports that you sometimes get with the Manaus trips - ports like Paramaribo and Georgetown and also the Bijagos Archipelago on the Wind trip I was considering.  I've also decided not to book anything like this until we return from our Cloud trip in April/May.  Thanks again everyone.  This is such a valuable resource.

Appreciate the follow-up and pictures from Dr. Ron, etc.  It is good that Fletcher asked the right questions and carefully weighed the options, priorities.  As mentioned earlier, we found our Silver Cloud sailing up and back for the 1000 miles of Amazon to be very interesting and unique.  But, I have shared that it is not for everyone as their highest and best option. Depends on your personal interests!!  

Much of it is about the "people" and sampling something very different than normal in architecture, history, culture, etc.  You cannot experience much of that just from a ship sailing on a very, very wide and big river.  You need explore in and around the port stops, etc.  

As a fun, trivia question, I ask people interested in the Amazon River as to how many bridges cross this waterway.  They are puzzled and make various guesses!!  But, the correct answer is zero.  No bridges across the Amazon itself.  Too wide and big.  Plus, If you built a bridge across this river, then where do you go???  What roads exist in most of the Amazon area?  It is hard to imagine how massive and isolated are many of these areas.  From Manaus, there are only a very limited number of ways back out.  Fly out or sail back up the river.  Or, the one main road out is to drive north to Caracas, Venezuela.  That requires a drive of about 34 hours to cover the 2,234.5 km distance.  When in Manaus, you will see the interesting and big Rio Negro Bridge.  But, that does not cross the Amazon, nor take you in a road path to reach Rio, São Paulo, etc., by car, truck or bus.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Starting to plan our Amazon River cruise. Not taking the cruise air, and we are planning to fly home from Manaus via Sao Paulo as it works best for us. Question: If we have 4 days after the cruise ends in Manaus, what is the best division of that time between Manaus and Sao Paulo? Thanks. 

18 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Starting to plan our Amazon River cruise. Not taking the cruise air, and we are planning to fly home from Manaus via Sao Paulo as it works best for us. Question: If we have 4 days after the cruise ends in Manaus, what is the best division of that time between Manaus and Sao Paulo? Thanks. 

While I have never been to São Paulo, I can offer some insights for timing in and around Manaus.  It is a different and interesting city!!  It might not be everyone's best and/or first choice.  Much depends on your personal interests, travel style and history of where you have visited and loved in the past.  Tell us more as to what you seek.  

In a day or two you can get a pretty good sampling of Manaus. One of our best experiences was going on a private tour about 60 miles north of Manaus to get closer to sampling of the Amazon rainforest, etc.   Amazing!!  Below are a few more visual examples for that exploring.  More later from in and around Manaus. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f60476c2e7de6590afb281bc13f1b8e3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1028e1d36c3f9dc7470d4555936851b0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2187d0fc8ac1e1b84c1d7d75ddf00390.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.691786db5f46735d53b17e20d9ffe279.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.41fc8e64d2e6a0b92ae16157535f7651.jpeg

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 70,873 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

• Like 1

Sao Paulo is a big wealthy city with a lot of museums, restaurants, bars, theatres, etc.

Manaus you can visit in one or two days.

Being in a jungle lodge is an experience and can be very interesting. There are a wide range of jungle lodges since basic one with few modern facilities to luxury with all modern facilities. There are several years now that I went on a lodge (with all facilities), but with a google search you can find some options.

I would like to inform that besides Amazon, there is another area in Brazil for those interested in birds, and animals: Pantanal. To spot jaguar, it is the best place. I have plans to go back there next June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Sao Paulo is a big wealthy city with a lot of museums, restaurants, bars, theatres, etc.  Being in a jungle lodge is an experience and can be very interesting.

São Paulo sounds very interesting, plus, yes, a jungle lodge could prove of seriously good potential. 

Below are few more visuals to give a sample for what is there to see and do in Manaus. 

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,742 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

In the patio/park next to the Manaus Opera House, here is a scenic view, including the colorful rainbow and church architecture.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.a27b2e89165a6e83f11ca12844a2e12d.jpeg

Loved the Manaus harbor area with these multi-level boats and so much activity.:

image.thumb.jpeg.c1614f401f2d4b1b641c057968bb90b9.jpeg

Manaus' market areas were large and fascinating to explore and experience.:

image.thumb.jpeg.492977064fae00720e0a1b3a933322a7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d3cb508a61ed2753df20c6ded03cc434.jpeg

Here are two examples of the architecture and street scenes in Manaus.:

image.thumb.jpeg.d2561ee43cf0809d15e350070f8be6d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c70c840916e965bbc0fea97b44bfc682.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. We enjoy seeing interesting and historic architecture, experiencing local culture, and enjoying great local food. Sounds like no more than 1-2 days in Manaus with the rest in Sao Paulo would suit us.

Another question: Is it better to take an Amazon cruise that has zodiacs for shore excursions, or does it not really make much difference?

Thanks. 

On 2/5/2023 at 4:33 PM, commodoredave said:

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. We enjoy seeing interesting and historic architecture, experiencing local culture, and enjoying great local food. Sounds like no more than 1-2 days in Manaus with the rest in Sao Paulo would suit us.  Another question: Is it better to take an Amazon cruise that has zodiacs for shore excursions, or does it not really make much difference?  Thanks. 

Great to learn that you enjoy "seeing interesting and historic architecture, experiencing local culture."  Yes, you will find elements of that at certain locations in Manaus and along the Amazon.  But, agree that 1-2 days there in Manaus can allow you to "check those boxes"

As to zodiacs for exploring the Amazon, have not seen any info for cruise lines offering that option.  Maybe some other small-boat options more west of Manaus would offer that potential.  Or, as we did with a private tour at Santarem, we got father back into the Amazon back-water regions to see some wildlife, birds, nature, etc.  Below are a few more examples of sights and experiences along the Amazon.  

In general along the roughly 1000 miles from the Atlantic to Manaus, you will not see much for birds and/or wildlife in doing that sailing from a larger ship.  You have to get into the back-water and/or rainforest to see more of those experiences.  Or, doing much smaller boats much more west of Manaus to achieve that goal.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,566 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is one visual example for how brown, choppy and wide can be the main Amazon.  Like the rainbow and my photo-taking profile/shadow at the right?:

image.thumb.jpeg.8bf0e8c6a23267d00ce746432579380f.jpeg

At the port of Santarem, we saw some of the pink dolphins along the side of the dock/market area.:

image.thumb.jpeg.3e87ca7ae2f0c8a0117c2b02a5c7af85.jpeg

From Santarem, we did a private, small-boat adventure that took us to explore various back-water areas.  Here is a sampling for some birds, wildlife, etc., experienced.:

image.thumb.jpeg.e82d954026dec300836b49b9c2463c17.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.946962824d8c19e6aa888f6fe0cad65c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7d42760da963982d25ce41134b646f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.912aabab53ffff987fa732b756c96a5d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2af21ed6f355ed731fc282388ab1c6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 6:33 PM, commodoredave said:

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. We enjoy seeing interesting and historic architecture, experiencing local culture, and enjoying great local food. Sounds like no more than 1-2 days in Manaus with the rest in Sao Paulo would suit us.

Another question: Is it better to take an Amazon cruise that has zodiacs for shore excursions, or does it not really make much difference?

Thanks. 

Should you need any information about Sao Paulo (SP) I am glad to help. I live in Rio de Janeiro, but I go to SP very often. I love this city!

On 2/7/2023 at 11:40 AM, TLCOhio said:

Great to learn that you enjoy "seeing interesting and historic architecture, experiencing local culture."  Yes, you will find elements of that at certain locations in Manaus and along the Amazon.  But, agree that 1-2 days there in Manaus can allow you to "check those boxes"

As to zodiacs for exploring the Amazon, have not seen any info for cruise lines offering that option.  Maybe some other small-boat options more west of Manaus would offer that potential.  Or, as we did with a private tour at Santarem, we got father back into the Amazon back-water regions to see some wildlife, birds, nature, etc.  Below are a few more examples of sights and experiences along the Amazon.  

In general along the roughly 1000 miles from the Atlantic to Manaus, you will not see much for birds and/or wildlife in doing that sailing from a larger ship.  You have to get into the back-water and/or rainforest to see more of those experiences.  Or, doing much smaller boats much more west of Manaus to achieve that goal.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,566 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is one visual example for how brown, choppy and wide can be the main Amazon.  Like the rainbow and my photo-taking profile/shadow at the right?:

image.thumb.jpeg.8bf0e8c6a23267d00ce746432579380f.jpeg

At the port of Santarem, we saw some of the pink dolphins along the side of the dock/market area.:

image.thumb.jpeg.3e87ca7ae2f0c8a0117c2b02a5c7af85.jpeg

From Santarem, we did a private, small-boat adventure that took us to explore various back-water areas.  Here is a sampling for some birds, wildlife, etc., experienced.:

image.thumb.jpeg.e82d954026dec300836b49b9c2463c17.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.946962824d8c19e6aa888f6fe0cad65c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7d42760da963982d25ce41134b646f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.912aabab53ffff987fa732b756c96a5d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2af21ed6f355ed731fc282388ab1c6.jpeg

Thanks, Terry. We are planning to sail on an expedition ship, which might involve some Zodiac and other out of the ordinary excursions. 

• 4 months later...

Just a little update - we have booked this cruise on the Wind in April 2024, sailing from Manaus to Lisbon, just about our longest cruise ever.  The Amazon sector looks properly expedition with zodiac tours into backwaters.  It's going to be on the rainy side of wet and we are looking into anti-malarial stuff. That's pills for her, Jack Daniel's for me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Just a little update - we have booked this cruise on the Wind in April 2024, sailing from Manaus to Lisbon, just about our longest cruise ever.  The Amazon sector looks properly expedition with zodiac tours into backwaters.  It's going to be on the rainy side of wet and we are looking into anti-malarial stuff. That's pills for her, Jack Daniel's for me.

How about Yellow Fever vaccination? We are doing the Amazon at Christmas and are getting mixed advice. Some say it is important and some say not reco'd for oldies. My doctor does reco malaria pills though. Start two days prior to visit and keep taking for seven days after leaving area.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Great news, Fletcher, with your booking for the Silver Wind from Manaus to Lisbon.  Have pulled up that map and showing it below as this is a very interesting itinerary.  Lots of unique and different stops.  

image.thumb.png.12d7c7dbccfc42657c1fe581f464b1e7.png

Cute line about using Jack Daniels, but those anti-malarial pills are important, too!!  Look forward next year for following along with this great adventure.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 71,988 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 7:18 PM, commodoredave said:

Thanks, i would love some. We plan to spend 2-3 nights there in October.

What would you be your interests? Museums, skylines, natural parks?

2 minutes ago, Lirio said:

What would you be your interests? Museums, skylines, natural parks?

We enjoy architecture and history, so usually find ourselves walking around old sections of a city, sometimes with a guide. We also enjoy museums, particularly ones that showcase local culture and history.

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, commodoredave said:

We enjoy architecture and history, so usually find ourselves walking around old sections of a city, sometimes with a guide. We also enjoy museums, particularly ones that showcase local culture and history.

Thanks. 

Historical area in Sao Paulo is not safe to walk around by your own. I myself go from one point to other by taxi or uber. Or you may schedule a private guide.

Main historical points: Patio do Colegio (where the city was established). Just by it the house of Marquesa dos Santos the mistress of the Emperor Pedro I. Check the hour the church of Patio do Colegio is opened.

Nearby you may go to Viaduto do Cha, Teatro Municipal. Further you may consider Estação da Luz, Mosteiro da Luz Where you will find Pinacoteca, Museu of Arte Sacra and Museu da Lingua Portuguesa (this 3 you can visit in 2-3 ours all together but they are 2nd line in terms of museum).

The main museum for the history is Museu do Ipiranga, my first choise ever.

In downtown you also have Museum of the stock Market and Farol Santander in the former financial district early XIX cetury. 3rd line musuems.

A stroll in Avenida Paulista is a must to see the financial district of 1970´s. There is Masp - a Museum of Fine Arts Top in Brazil and several other arts centers.

To see modern buildings, you must go to Faria Lima Avenue and Berrini Avenue where you will find today’s financial district. Should you like biking, there is a bike lane all over it and you can see several buildings. In between those expensive office buildings you will find a historical house surrounded.

I posted some photos of all this in the Coolers post. And you can find a lot of information in the internet as well. Happy to help.

7 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Historical area in Sao Paulo is not safe to walk around by your own. I myself go from one point to other by taxi or uber. Or you may schedule a private guide.

Main historical points: Patio do Colegio (where the city was established). Just by it the house of Marquesa dos Santos the mistress of the Emperor Pedro I. Check the hour the church of Patio do Colegio is opened.

Nearby you may go to Viaduto do Cha, Teatro Municipal. Further you may consider Estação da Luz, Mosteiro da Luz Where you will find Pinacoteca, Museu of Arte Sacra and Museu da Lingua Portuguesa (this 3 you can visit in 2-3 ours all together but they are 2nd line in terms of museum).

The main museum for the history is Museu do Ipiranga, my first choise ever.

In downtown you also have Museum of the stock Market and Farol Santander in the former financial district early XIX cetury. 3rd line musuems.

A stroll in Avenida Paulista is a must to see the financial district of 1970´s. There is Masp - a Museum of Fine Arts Top in Brazil and several other arts centers.

To see modern buildings, you must go to Faria Lima Avenue and Berrini Avenue where you will find today’s financial district. Should you like biking, there is a bike lane all over it and you can see several buildings. In between those expensive office buildings you will find a historical house surrounded.

I posted some photos of all this in the Coolers post. And you can find a lot of information in the internet as well. Happy to help.

Very helpful. Thanks. 

We are also foodies and love trying good quality restaurants with a nice atmosphere where locals like to eat.