Paid gratuities twice...bad customer service

BTfan

He has a legitimate complaint because he was told they were removed, and chose to pay the tips in cash but they still showed up on his final bill. (OP, did I interpret that right?).

I agree... it's a legitimate complaint.

I just think folks over think the tipping. Just leave it on your S&S (verify the correct billing of course) and deal with paying the bill when you get home.

I had the automatic gratuties removed from my account last time I sailed and did not have to fill out a form. The purser's desk said no problem, did some typing and voila, the charges now showed as a credit on my account.

I did tip all the appropriate people in cash with more than the standard amount. I hadn't spent as much as anticipated so I thought the green in hand might be nicer for all the top notch service.

FYI, apparently the "green in hand" does not stay in hand. If you remove you auto grats, and give cash, they have to pool the cash for the entire crew and it is distributed much later. The auto grats go right to their paycheck, personally. I have in the past removed auto grats and given cash too, untill I found this out. Now I leave the AG's and tip a bit extra in cash so they know I appriciated their great job, or give nothing extra if not that impressed.

FYI, apparently the "green in hand" does not stay in hand. If you remove you auto grats, and give cash, they have to pool the cash for the entire crew and it is distributed much later. The auto grats go right to their paycheck, personally. I have in the past removed auto grats and given cash too, untill I found this out. Now I leave the AG's and tip a bit extra in cash so they know I appriciated their great job, or give nothing extra if not that impressed.

My husband and I found this out on our last cruise, we prepaid this time. My TA didn't even mention it. I had to tell her to do it. We also extra tip those who made us feel "special"; afterall, I won't have a housekeeper, chef, etc. once I get home. :(

Hmmmm.... how young is too young for kids to start cooking? :D

It was the automatic gratuities.

Since I'm hearing both you need a form or you don't, I can see why this is being a problem.

I wonder if this is a new policy and they forgot to tell the pursers about it..

But from the way the rep was talking, even if it is on there they can't take it off...which I think is ridiculous...

I'm not sure what department I ended up talking to..they didn't even transfer me. I had to call another number.

OK, here's what is weird....the policy seems to be different for different ships. I had to fill out a paper to do this on the pride, so on the Liberty I ask for the paper and they told me that I just had to tell them and they did it.

This issue should have been handled on the ship, at this time other than voice concerns to carnival there is nothing you can do. While the issue with the credit card seems logical the credit card company will not get involved in this one.

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Well, I went to the purser before and after I received the wrong statement and both times I was told it was taken care of.

I refuse to just let Carnival get off with this one by just saying that they can't because the rep doesn't want to send a note to accounting.

They are apparently willing to lose business over $70. It's not so much the money for me (although that is a week of groceries), it's the principal..if a company is not willing to correct their error, then I don't want to do business with them

The credit card company is the next step. They will at least get the accounting department at Carnival involved.

Archived