Norwegian Bliss, Celebrity Solstice, Holland America Koningsdam or Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas to Alaska

philm53

Holland America Line is a leader in Alaska (along with Princess) so they would be my first choice.  Also, Koningsdam goes to Glacier Bay which is a must IMO especially for a first trip. Norwegian goes there on some itineraries but Celebrity and Royal do not.  

That said, Bliss and Quantum will have the most “bells and whistles” such as rock climbing walls, bumper cars, and pool slides if such things matter to you. 

Three main factors for why we chose the Koningsdam for a round trip cruise:

1. Glacier Bay. Everything I've read online said this was an absolute must do. Only Holland America, Princess, and a few select Norwegian ships are allowed to enter here

2. Price. It was cheaper for us to fly to Vancouver and stay overnight than it was to go to Seattle. Not sure if where you are flying out of will be a factor, but Vancouver is generally cheaper to sail out of due to their port fees and whatnot that get baked into the price. This price difference alone will fund our excursions

3. The Ship Itself. The thermal suite is supposed to be great, and the food is known to be top notch. Not to mention the great music entertainment. We don't have kids (yet) and wanted a quieter, more adult-oriented experience. While HAL does have kids clubs, it is a much less kid focused experience (thanks to the lack of waterslides and other activities). That being said, if you want all of those over the top activities like Boston mentioned, then this ship might bore you

I can’t comment on the other ship but the Koningsdam is our favourite HAL ship - we have spent a total of 14 weeks on her over the past few years (one 8 week stretch). Love the ship - not too big, not too small. Food options are lovely - perhaps less “bells and whistles” but the music and shows were awesome.  

This post I created last October might answer some of your questions. I ended up booking a northbound cruise on the Celebrity Millennium, Vancouver to Seward, once I took into account port times and other factors that were important to my husband and I based on the schedule we had for cruising. A lot of people shared insight on various ships and itineraries: 

Edited by njsmom
  • Thanks 1