Cruising at Christmas

Fletcher

I agree completely with saminina. I was on this cruise. Food was extremely disappointing overall, Keller was fine, but no longer sent home with fresh baked cookies. Service was severely lacking. Ships staff, less than remarkable. (much less.) Shore excursion personnel and experiences, less than adequate. Housekeeping fine. It's hard to fault those very hardworking ladies. The Club, dark and dated. Coffee bar Bakery goods, practically inedible. Don't even get me started about the ports! Port Royale - a joke. Antigua - a holiday. Plus last minute cancelations. 

I wish there was something positive to say about Seabourn but there isn't! 

Never again, where's Rick! 

I've done quite a few Xmas/New Year cruises with Seabourn and I have to say that I agree with Mr Luxury and Skybluewaters on their assessments. Last one I did was just before covid took hold, so 2019-2020.  I found it was same as ever,  chilled and civilised - albeit with a little party spirit. Exactly as I liked. Not overly boisterous at all and no large, domineering groups as far as I was aware. There was an fairly regular poolside event for a short while (longer on New Year's eve of course) and the occasional noisy dinner table nearby in a restaurant. BTW, I have found those things can happen on any cruise, not just holiday time ones. 

Perhaps things have changed after covid. Perhaps the type of passenger is currently a little different? Or perhaps, having been unable to travel for a while they feel a little more in the need to cut loose on holiday? Or perhaps they are exactly the same as before? I would guess that whatever changes might be happening on Seabourn is also happening on other lines - if it is happening at all. I'll find out later this year for myself.

I absolutely love your knowledgeable cruise reports Fletcher and your awesome photography skills. You deftly take us right there on the trip with you. You are obviously a very thoughtful person, so if you feel a noisier crowd would interfere with your enjoyment of your trip, then I'd suggest you heed your instincts and steer clear. Please always enjoy your cruising to the fullest - and please keep sharing your trips with us.  🙂 

• Like 3

I am extremely flattered & touched by your remarks @auldlassie.  I am currently weighing up the Quest's similar 30-day itinerary in Nov-Dec.  I especially like the Mosquito Coast sections, though I could do without Cozumel where, on that day, there will be potentially 20,000 passengers ashore.  My next cruise is in April-May aboard the Silver Cloud, sailing from Oman to Athens via Djibouti, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.  It's been quite a ride even before we start packing but Silversea's destination dept have been brilliant and we got our Saudi e-visas today.  I'll post a link to my blog in due course.  In the meantime, yours aye.

Edited by Fletcher

We are on the Ovation at present. I asked about a Christmas/New year cruise in 2024, she gave me a price for Singapore to Singapore 14 day cruise, very reasonable price indeed, bearing in mind you get a 20 percent discount if you book on board.

9 hours ago, fudge said:

you get a 20 percent discount if you book on board

Really? I've never heard of an onboard booking discount that large. Now, Seabourn currently has a promotion for 15% off some cruises, so if you've selected one of those, I'm wondering if you got the traditional 5% discount for booking onboard, added to the 15% promotion which anyone can get?

• Like 2