Current Mask Protocols

11 minutes ago, timtam2 said:

I disembarked Ovation this morning after an 8 night cruise. I have always been a mask wearer and even though for Royal it is only recommended, I stuck to my guns. I was one of the very few onboard wearing a mask - I wore it in the Windjammer, at trivia, in lifts, everywhere. I quickly got over feeling self concious when everyone was staring at me. No one made any comments though.

I avoided certain crowded settings but with a very high percentage of under 30s onboard intent on hard partying, everywhere was pretty crowded, with people shouting and singing etc. Sometimes I was stuck in a crowd but always wore my mask. I woke up this morning feeling a bit dizzy and off, so after disembarking, I went and had a PCR Test straight away. And I'm positive. First time for covid for me. So far it's just a bad headache and a sore throat.

As I live with my elderly mother, I've had to book myself into a hotel for another week to prevent passing it on to her. 

This was my 9th cruise since August so I knew my luck would run out one day. But I'll be back cruising again in April. It's just the risk you take to enjoy something you really love.

I hope you recover quickly. Look after yourself and get lots of rest.

Masks are most effective when worn by those who have Covid which is why it's best if everyone wears one as people are usually infectious before they develop symptoms . They are less effective in preventing you catching it but still provide a fair bit of protection. 

You did better than me - I caught it on my 5th cruise last year. We wore masks when moving around the ship and in crowded venues like trivia and the theatre. Trivia was appalling, far too many people without masks. The other problem was people walking through bars without masks, stopping to talk to friends while effectively standing over us, and coughing. But I got over it quickly, Rolf didn't catch it at all, and we still enjoyed our cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1