The Spa Experience on the Riviera

flaminkokid

• 1 month later...

We're back on board the Riviera. We each got a spa voucher for $150. The "special" today was $129 for a 50 minute massage. We called the spa. 

"Can we use the voucher for the $129.00 massage?"

'Yes but the 20% fee is not covered by the voucher and must be paid for separately."

"ok."

We know from experience it's a good idea to double check everything these folks tell you because the answer to any question can change depending on who you ask. My Guy goes to the spa for his massage and the manager tells him NO, you cannot use the voucher with the "special." It will be full price.

He canceled both our appointments and let them have an earful. He came back to the cabin and they called to say, okay, you can get the $129 massage with the voucher plus 20%. 

Without the voucher there's no way I would patronize this spa. Trying hard not to look a gift horse in the mouth but this horse is determined to take a bit out of you one way or the other. The only way a business can survive with such abysmal service and exorbitant prices is if they have a captive audience. But maybe eventually Oceania will realize the spa is really an albatross. 

5 minutes ago, flaminkokid said:

We're back on board the Riviera. We each got a spa voucher for $150. The "special" today was $129 for a 50 minute massage. We called the spa. 

"Can we use the voucher for the $129.00 massage?"

'Yes but the 20% fee is not covered by the voucher and must be paid for separately."

"ok."

We know from experience it's a good idea to double check everything these folks tell you because the answer to any question can change depending on who you ask. My Guy goes to the spa for his massage and the manager tells him NO, you cannot use the voucher with the "special." It will be full price.

He canceled both our appointments and let them have an earful. He came back to the cabin and they called to say, okay, you can get the $129 massage with the voucher plus 20%. 

Without the voucher there's no way I would patronize this spa. Trying hard not to look a gift horse in the mouth but this horse is determined to take a bit out of you one way or the other. The only way a business can survive with such abysmal service and exorbitant prices is if they have a captive audience. But maybe eventually Oceania will realize the spa is really an albatross. 

Thanks for the heads up

• 10 months later...
On 2/10/2023 at 10:15 PM, LHT28 said:

Do they actually force you into the spa & make you have a massage 😲

you're a troll. You wait under the bridge until you see a chance to say something unpleasant and unnecessary. 

Alternate solution that may work for you.  If in a port with the city really close to the ship use the internet and find a local registered masseuse.  Walk the city prior to your appointment, get the massage and then back on to the boat for an afternoon cocktail !   Helping the local economy and finding another option to some of the uninteresting shore excursions.

I found the cruise ship spa's to be way over priced and focused on pumping up the bill to ridiculous levels. A full one hour Swedish massage in Toronto costs 100-120 Cdn plus tip. Yes they don't have the outrageous overhead and a cruise line taking an extra xx% off any bill but I guess you pay for the convenience on board.

1 hour ago, thebsinmiss said:

Alternate solution that may work for you.  If in a port with the city really close to the ship use the internet and find a local registered masseuse.  Walk the city prior to your appointment, get the massage and then back on to the boat for an afternoon cocktail !   Helping the local economy and finding another option to some of the uninteresting shore excursions.

I found the cruise ship spa's to be way over priced and focused on pumping up the bill to ridiculous levels. A full one hour Swedish massage in Toronto costs 100-120 Cdn plus tip. Yes they don't have the outrageous overhead and a cruise line taking an extra xx% off any bill but I guess you pay for the convenience on board.

Excellent suggestion. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, flaminkokid said:

you're a troll. You wait under the bridge until you see a chance to say something unpleasant and unnecessary. 

You had already responded to that post in post 21…..🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1