Majesty good for spring break?

bambam2972

Hello, I'm a college student from Charleston, and I was looking up cruises for next spring break. I'll be 21 then and my boyfriend will be 22.

I've been on RCCL three times (my 3rd this June), and I've loved it! I've heard mixed reviews for Majesty, but one thing that really interests me is the freestyle dining.

The big clincher is that this trip is cheaper, and leaves from Charleston, so of course I don't have to worry about getting a plane ticket, only the 10 min drive!

I'm sure I'll have a great time either way since it's an itenerary I have not done, and it's better than being in class or in my office :p I just wanted to hear from those who have been on Majesty (especially those who have travelled on RCCL before too).

Since the average age of passengers on the Majesty out of Charleston appears to be about 55 plus. I think it would be perfect for your group to use for a spring break cruise. You will have lots of chaperones.

I am sorry this is off topic, but I am sailing on Majesty later this month and wondered if you are allowed to bring on a 12 pack of bottled water and Coke when you board? If you can, should I just carry it in a plastic grocery bag?

One post - two answers ...

bambam2972 - having sailed the Majesty four times I feel qualified to offer an opinion, and my suggestion would be look at some other ship. The Majesty is a lovely vessel, and the itinerary is delightful, but I fear that you will likely find yourselves bored to tears. This is a very small ship, and will not provide all the "Excitement" you find on RCCL vessels. Read some reviews, check out the deck plans and do a bit of research here. You'll find plenty of information to help you make your decision. ;)

MJ25 - no problem bringing your soda and bottled water onboard. I would suggest only a six-pack or so of each, unless you're willing to lug all that weight with you up the gangway! :eek: Keep in mind that you can replenish your supply at all of the ports. :)

I havent been on the ship yet but Im booked for the 3/25 sailing out of charleston. I am 22 and boyf is 23 and we have read MANY reviews and I think we will have a fabulous time! We are not HUGE partiers but we do like to have a good time at a bar *just not the CRAZY, dancing on bars type fun lol* If you go to webshots.com and search for ncl majesty or something similiar you will find MANY MANY pics of "spring breakers" or ppl in the "twenty-something" age range...and they all seem to be having a blast! So I would say go for it:D

Leaving Saturday. I've read reviews from this exact week last year and two different ones mentioned the large number of college students in different light. One approved of the younger crowd and the livelier atmosphere they brought aboard. One was extremely disaapointed in the loud students and raucous behavior and mentioned she couldn't find a quiet place to read and was disturbed more than once from her sleep by unruly behavior. I don't read similiar reviews on the Majesty except for a few weeks in March. Pepper's comment is dead on for the most part. The ship is normally a quiet, mid-range ship that draws an older and devoted crowd. But from my research, it appears that for this small window in March, that the ship draws a large group of college kids based on price, location, ports-of-call, and itenerary. Look for my review next week. I'll be sure to include a general passenger profile. I'm fully expecting to see more college students that I would normally expect. BTW, I'm 27 and the DW is 25. Almost young enough to blend in. Stay tuned. :)

OK, here is an update from the Majesty today, off the coast of Key West as reported by some college senior women who attend professional school in a large east coast city.

Lots of spring breakers on board. Many of them "too rowdy." The staff seems to be stressed by some of the (undescribed to Mom and Dad) behavior.

The ship is fully occupied and many of the cabins are at capacity (3 or 4) and it is very "crowded." Not enough chairs/chaises, long waits for dining, too small buffet area, running out of some menu items at some meals. And the kicker - last night when they were waiting for dinner in the bar the waiter came back to ask, "who wants the drink, we ran out of glasses." I told them they should have just asked for a bottle.

Tendering at Coz was very disorganized. The description of the tender fleet sounded like the Dunkirk rescue armada :).

The Majesty just doesn't compare well to other newer, larger cruise ships and it isn't doing well with "freestyle." That according to one who has been on the dawn, Disney Magic and Splendor of the Seas. The first time cruisers are less disappointed in the ambience and amenities (nothing to compare it too). All are enjoying the trip.

Uh Oh! :eek: By the sounds of it, we ought to prepare ourselves for the upcoming reports! Who else wants to bet we'll be hearing reports reminiscent of last year's Spirit spring break disaster? :(

My deepest sympathies to the Officers and Crew aboard the Majesty this week if they're being overrun with rowdy college age merrymakers.

CPTTrips - sounds like the young ladies who filed their report to you are sensible gals. My sympathies to them as well, if things remain rowdy!

Snip

CPTTrips - sounds like the young ladies who filed their report to you are sensible gals. My sympathies to them as well, if things remain rowdy!

They're tough! :) Four years in West Philly weeds out the week!

If it's that rowdy next week, I might feel the urge to lighten the passenger load. How can they run out of so much? Wouldn't they have an idea just how full the ship would be? But, being a first timer and a fairly easygoing guy, I don't know if I'll find too much wrong with anything. I'm just a glass half full kind of guy.

embradley & ralphinsc - Thanks now I'm getting a little more excited!!

Like I said, I'm still looking around. We're not HUGE partiers either, but I wanted to know that there would be things for us to do. I'll look for those pics right now...

Also, I'm VERY interested in the itenerary; it goes to ports I haven't been before, and that's what we're looking for.

I'll be looking for your review, Ralph. HAVE FUN!!

Thanks again yall!

Heading down your way tomorrow. Staying at the Vendue Inn just off of Market Street. I have a ton of friends in the area. Also picked this mainly due to the short drive. Cozumel and Key West are both ports where college students would find some activity. Even if not a heavy drinker, you simply have to check out Carlos n Charlies in Cozumel and do a bar crawl on Duval street in Key West. Again, the drinking here can be as little or as much as you would like, but the atmosphere of those places are something that must be experienced before you get too old or old at heart :p LOL! Check the port-of-call boards for further research. There are plenty of things to read up on these ports. Good luck on your decision. :D

RalphinSC: This is CPT Trips' wife- we spoke to our DD last night when she boarded after an evening in Key West. The bad news first: the ship is now completely out of Coronas (with still one whole sea day to go LOL). The good news: she did love the ports. For Key West, they shopped, ate and drank; she didn't give me too many details (LOL) other than to say that she loved Key West. In Cozumel, they taxied to Paradise Beach and while there paid extra to do para-sailing. They had a great time. On their way back to the tenders, they walked into Carlos & Charlies and promptly walked out- too loud, too crowded, too wild. Ended up in Senor Frogs- and had fun. In Grand Cayman, they took the ship's excursion: stingray city, then snorkeling at a reef and then on to Seven Mile Beach for a lunch (included) and swimming. They loved it, and with the excursions you get priority tendering off the ship!

Other pluses: wait staff and cabin steward are great. Cabin is much better than she had expected (839- they upgraded since there are four of them). Weather has been great too- warm, sunny and very calm except for a little rocking one night. That night, the first time cruisers felt a little ill; DD was fine (but has experienced very bumpy cruises in the past) Bonine works fine.

FInal plus: They have a big test on Tuesday AM (Pharmacology), so with no more Coronas and few deck chairs, they should be able to study without distractions. (Yes, they brought their books and notes- hope they find a quiet place.)

Have a great cruise!

If it's that rowdy next week, I might feel the urge to lighten the passenger load. How can they run out of so much? Wouldn't they have an idea just how full the ship would be? But, being a first timer and a fairly easygoing guy, I don't know if I'll find too much wrong with anything. I'm just a glass half full kind of guy.

How ? Easier then you think. They adjust the orders based on the number of passengers based on historical consumption per passenger. Completely change the passenger mix and all the historical data does not hold water.

Suddenly instead of the average consumption of Corona per passenger goes from .5 to 1.5 even if they doubled the normal order the ship would still run out.

Not sure how to plan for a sudden swing in the type of passenger onboard. Quantity of passengers - easy. Quality of passenger - impossible.

How ? Easier then you think. They adjust the orders based on the number of passengers based on historical consumption per passenger. Completely change the passenger mix and all the historical data does not hold water.

Suddenly instead of the average consumption of Corona per passenger goes from .5 to 1.5 even if they doubled the normal order the ship would still run out.

Not sure how to plan for a sudden swing in the type of passenger onboard. Quantity of passengers - easy. Quality of passenger - impossible.

They might try a comparison with like dates on a historical basis. Christmas and New Years cruises must have similar swings.

Didn't they run out of things on the Dawn "snow cruise?" Now that's unforeseeable, but do people drink more when anchored out in NY harbor?

They might try a comparison with like dates on a historical basis. Christmas and New Years cruises must have similar swings.

Didn't they run out of things on the Dawn "snow cruise?" Now that's unforeseeable, but do people drink more when anchored out in NY harbor?

The problem on the snow cruise is one full container never made it to the ship. It was in a wreck. My understanding it was most of the bar stuff including liquor, wine, mixes. etc. I head most of it could not even be salvaged.

Not sure they ever really had a "spring break" like crowd on the Majesty. Very different then Xmas and New years. Less families more drunks :D

Q: Majesty good for spring break?

A: The thousand or so college students on last week's cruise seemed to think so!

My wife and I, both being in our 30's, expected to be the "younger" crowd on the ship. We were quite surprised to find that instead we were the "old people". Other than a couple incidents of late night noise, I didn't mind the spring breakers. I'm sure that some of the 50 somethings thought the world was coming to an end though! :)

Archived