Current Breakdown of Gratuities as of January 2023 (with increase)

7 minutes ago, kruzgal said:

I wish there were no such thing as auto gratuities, like P&O. The staff are paid a salary and the costs are included within the fare. If you want to tip extra in cash to a member of staff who has been particularly good then you can. In the UK we don’t have such a tipping culture and it must create problems when Royal Caribbean ships home port here. 

When Royal ships home  port in the UK, they price their fares inclusively, just like P&O 

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is exactly why it’s a scam

It's not a scam.  A scam a thief steals from an unwilling participant.  You may not LIKE the way they handle it, but it's not a scam.  It's part of the cost of cruising.  If you don't like it, don't cruise.  Simple, but it's not a scam.  There's already enough legitimate scams out there, we don't need to call legitimate business practices, scams.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

It's not a scam.  A scam a thief steals from an unwilling participant.  You may not LIKE the way they handle it, but it's not a scam.  It's part of the cost of cruising.  If you don't like it, don't cruise.  Simple, but it's not a scam.  There's already enough legitimate scams out there, we don't need to call legitimate business practices, scams.

It IS a scam. 

I give them my money, they say $XX is going to your stateroom attendant, but in reality it is not. 

It is NOT  “part of the cost of cruising” (what an overused term, ranks right up there with “behind the scenes personnel”). Taxes and port fees are part of the cost, anything they allow you to opt out of is not. 

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It IS a scam. 

I give them my money, they say $XX is going to your stateroom attendant, but in reality it is not. 

It is NOT  “part of the cost of cruising” (what an overused term, ranks right up there with “behind the scenes personnel”). Taxes and port fees are part of the cost, anything they allow you to opt out of is not. 

Again, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a scam...  I think it's ridiculous that eggs cost over $4 a dozen... is it a scam? ... no.  Is it a scam to give a $10 to the waiter at your local restaurant?  No, but I guarantee they share that money with others in the back of the house, specifically the bus boy.  That's not a scam either......  "but they don't tell me where the money is going..."   please.  Not a scam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Again, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a scam...  I think it's ridiculous that eggs cost over $4 a dozen... is it a scam? ... no.  Is it a scam to give a $10 to the waiter at your local restaurant?  No, but I guarantee they share that money with others in the back of the house, specifically the bus boy.  That's not a scam either......  "but they don't tell me where the money is going..."   please.  Not a scam.

Sounds like you are comfortable with the system, that’s great, more power to you. 

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

When Royal ships home  port in the UK, they price their fares inclusively, just like P&O 

They do for drinks but not for the actual cruise. Gratuities are still added but lots of people remove them. The worst of all worlds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sounds like you are comfortable with the system, that’s great, more power to you. 

Nowhere in their literature does it state the tips go directly (and only) to the main steward or waiter.  This is from RCL website:

As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience

It clearly spells out that funds will be divided among front line staff and support personnel.  If you don't like it, stop cruising.   Almost every line operates this way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Nowhere in their literature does it state the tips go directly (and only) to the main steward or waiter.  This is from RCL website:

As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience

It clearly spells out that funds will be divided among front line staff and support personnel.  If you don't like it, stop cruising.   Almost every line operates this way.

Keep up Frank,

Look at posts 1 and 17.  These breakdowns are what is being handed out on 2 different ships this week. This is the mixed messaging that breeds distrust in the "program"

STOP telling people to stop cruising, this isn't a "take it or leave it" proposition

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Why wouldn't they be consistent across ships?  A cabin in a ship from 2000 is not really different from a cabin in the Wonder...The rooms are generally the same size, take the same amount of time to vacuum, same size bathroom, same amount of towels, same number of beds.... so why should stewards get different amounts for being on a different ship?  Same goes with the wait staff.

Because the number of tipped positions are different in the steward category on all ships. All house keeping falls under that.  That is from the laundry to the steward,  to the assitant,  to the supervisors. They all split the steward tip.  Stewards do not make $1500 a week,  can you not see that?

same goes for dining and hotel.  I had a great conversation on wonder this week with the crew. It opened my eyes pretty wide. Even the towel boys on the pool deck get tips. 

To give uou the background,  in 2010 rcl dripped the old style of tipping and started the new.  Prior to that the steward,  assistant,  waiter, assistant got $50 a month plus tips.  Everyone else got a salary except for bar and some others.  Now they all pretty much anyone who serves you and is crew,  not staff or officer get a reasonable salary around $1000 plus a tip share.   Its alot of positions and it worked,  it brought everyone To the same team and got rid of the haves and have nots society.

So these public companies are paying their staff 2 bucks an hour. And then ask the customer to ensure they have a living wage by supplementary tipping. Sounds pretty much third world to me. I thought shareholders are supposed to benefit from a well run company, not abuse. We should not be supporting this structure of pay. We are being used for shareholder profits. Not good optics IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, resetjet said:

Because the number of tipped positions are different in the steward category on all ships. All house keeping falls under that.  That is from the laundry to the steward,  to the assitant,  to the supervisors. They all split the steward tip.  Stewards do not make $1500 a week,  can you not see that?

same goes for dining and hotel.  I had a great conversation on wonder this week with the crew. It opened my eyes pretty wide. Even the towel boys on the pool deck get tips. 

I think you misunderstood me.  I was replying to a comment as to why the service charge amounts are the same on each ship, not why the breakdown is different.  I have no problem with the service charge and really don't care where it goes.  It's a cost of cruising to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

So these public companies are paying their staff 2 bucks an hour. And then ask the customer to ensure they have a living wage by supplementary tipping. Sounds pretty much third world to me. I thought shareholders are supposed to benefit from a well run company, not abuse. We should not be supporting this structure of pay. We are being used for shareholder profits. Not good optics IMHO. 

You do realize that regardless of how the fees are structured, you are in fact paying for the employee's wages, right?  When you go to the grocery store, a portion of the cost of that food is literally to pay for the employees.  Whether it's a tipped position or a salary, the customer is always paying for the employees.

7 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

You do realize that regardless of how the fees are structured, you are in fact paying for the employee's wages, right?  When you go to the grocery store, a portion of the cost of that food is literally to pay for the employees.  Whether it's a tipped position or a salary, the customer is always paying for the employees.

It is about optics. Instead of showing the true cost of doing business they know that the price will reflect a higher and true cost of running a business. In my opinion it is sleight of hand and not 21 st century employment practice. The employee has to BEG a customer to give a 10 rating or else their remuneration suffers. This is wrong and we should not be pressured to do that. I know they work hard and they deserve more, but I am not the employer. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I think you misunderstood me.  I was replying to a comment as to why the service charge amounts are the same on each ship, not why the breakdown is different.  I have no problem with the service charge and really don't care where it goes.  It's a cost of cruising to me.

I see.  I suppose it would be too confusing to have different amounts per boat.  I no longer care either.  I no longer consider it a tip.  Its a resort fee.

51 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

It is about optics. Instead of showing the true cost of doing business they know that the price will reflect a higher and true cost of running a business. In my opinion it is sleight of hand and not 21 st century employment practice. The employee has to BEG a customer to give a 10 rating or else their remuneration suffers. This is wrong and we should not be pressured to do that. I know they work hard and they deserve more, but I am not the employer. 

That's fair and I generally agree with the sentiment, but that is unfortunately not business or the way it's going.  I get the frustration because I don't like when a routine hotel with a small indoor pool charges a resort fee.  I don't like that at all, but it is disclosed and I can choose to participate or not.  As far a the employee ratings, that is very wrong in my opinion.  I have not been on Royal yet but have been on NCL and Carnival.  Neither of those lines (to my knowledge) hold their employees to that standard.  They seem to be the opposite.  If someone is mentioned in a post cruise survey by name, the employee is actually rewarded by the line.  It provided a pretty good incentive to make an impact.  I've already decided that when we do cruise Royal next year that I won't be participating in their survey.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 6:16 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Exactly what are the varying duties and tipped positions between the different classes of ship?

On 3/19/2023 at 10:09 PM, resetjet said:

Nobody knows exactly.  It depends on the number of positions,  the number and type of venues.  For example,  an oasis class ship

has a tremendous number of tipped positions a radiance doesnt have.  Most foward facing crew members get tipped.  Even the laundry guys get tips.  I was down there this week and that position is hell on wheels.  This station has 3 guys feeding sheets into the press one at a time all day long.  Its hot,  its back breaking and monotonous as a job can be.

51F30C02-5FE3-4C2A-A6A8-2A547E9529EF.jpeg

That doesnt seem to answer the question at all... Unless radiance doesn't have a laundry room

As an aside from this , what humiliation for RCI to put this area of the ship in their tour... Like what are they saying here , "Now lets go stare at the slaves on our ship that are paid worse than your son on his 1 hour a day paper route " ?

• Like 1

This is what we typically do as far as extra tips: I will give the waiter a couple bucks every time I order drinks at one of the bars/clubs. I give the Stateroom steward and extra $20 on the first day of the cruise to make sure that he is attentive to us (we’ve never had a bad steward), I give extra tips on the last day to the Head Waiter, waiter and asst. waiter in the MDR. I do this because we normally have an assigned dining time and sit at the same table every night (other than nights we dine in specialty dining). 

That being said, next week I will be on a cruise where I had to take “My Time” seating and I am sure that we will have a different team and table every night. I do not expect to tip extra unless the service is over and above normal.

One other note, on one of our cruises in January, I did not leave a tip for the waiter on the first week. This was because he did not do a good job even after I told him on the second night what our expectations were. The following week we had a different waiter and I told him before the first dinner what I expected and he did everything to our liking. I don’t think I was asking too much. My list was this:

<> Have our drinks on the table when we arrive (starting 2nd night)

<> Take our order as soon as possible after all are seated

<> Bring coffee/tea either before or with the dessert

<> Make sure that we are served all dishes in time for us to make the next show that evening (some nights there was only one show, not the staff’s fault, but we needed to be done and at the theater 15 minutes before the start time or we would not get seats.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:37 PM, JimInBuffalo said:

Please see the information in the picture which represents the breakdown of your pre-paid daily gratuities as paid on Royal Caribbean as of January 2023. this list was obtained from the Customer Service desk on our latest cruise.

81A673D9-4838-4273-BC4C-40797AFFE37C.jpeg

Please note this says stateroom attendant , not stateroom services .

That certainly implies that the entire 3.55 is going to 1 person 

As similar math above has pointed out 3.55 x 2pp x 23 rooms x 7 days ...

$1143.10 + salary + cash tips.........???

• Thanks 1

Not quite sure why you think this requires extra tips or bribes? Isnt that their job. I assume when I go to a restaurant and tip that it is based on service. Remember they are getting tipped anyway unless you are removing tips. Not quite sure why you feel compelled to go over the top.