Viking Venus delayed into Tilbury

Mrs Miggins

Do I consider the trip ruined before I go? No, not really. Am I upset that we're losing 15% of the time we expected to be cruising? A bit. The amenities were part of the appeal. Am I upset that we're losing more than half of the locations that were the reason we booked, rebooked, and stayed booked? Absolutely.

Since my money was paid in for trips/excursions/perks/extras in previous years and carried forward to this booking, there is no refundable portion for me. Everyone I spoke with at Viking was very clear about that.

I can roll with things, and have for the past few years, and will try to with this. But to tell me 24 hours before departure that we're now only making 2 destination stops, that the cruise is reduced by 2 days, and my choice is to take a trip substantially different than the one I booked or forfeit everything I've paid in? That's unreasonable.

If things happened after the trip started? It happens. But this trip hasn't started yet. Give me a fair option. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

100 mile an hour winds and 60 foot waves!! Eek.

Agreed. It's a reminder that extreme weather is not confined to the Southern Ocean. Apart from a similar storm off of Cape Horn, the toughest conditions we've experienced have been in the Norwegian and North Seas. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Oh 🤢 wish we weren't booked on it next month!

I believe we are on the same cruise with you. This will be our 6th cruise since 2020. One was even many sea days to French Polynesia for a total of 33 days. We have never even bothered with anything for seasickness, but after seeing some of what these people have experienced… I contacted my doctor to find out what he would suggest for us, just in case. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iloveketo said:

I believe we are on the same cruise with you. This will be our 6th cruise since 2020. One was even many sea days to French Polynesia for a total of 33 days. We have never even bothered with anything for seasickness, but after seeing some of what these people have experienced… I contacted my doctor to find out what he would suggest for us, just in case. 

I just emailed our Dr to get some patches for Mar 20 cruise

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, arlowood said:

The copy of the Viking letter I saw posted stated that the delay would be 24hrs not 48hrs ie the follow- on cruise would depart Monday 13th rather than Sunday 12th. Also to allow them to catch up time they would be cancelling the Amsterdam(Ijmuiden) port stop from that cruise. Passengers would receive $150 in their onboard accounts as compensation.

That of course is dependent on Venus making good time from its current position off Trondheim.

Don't quit your day job.  Everything you posted here is false.

8 hours ago, Vassardeb said:

So, the big question:  did those of you on the cruise now get to see the lights?

Yes, from the ship on the way to Alta. Those who went on night excursions also said they saw them. 

To get announcements in your room put the TV on Bridge Camera, put the volume at around '10' this mutes the background waffle but leaves the announcements at a sensible volume

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Latest report (from the bar) A bit of good news, we have realised we get two days of the SSP for free😀😀😀🍷🍸🍹🍺🥂🥃🥤

What is that? I hate all these abbreviations . How hard  is it to spell something out?

40 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Since Many here have never cruised Viking, we would not know.

I have the same problem when people use texting abbreviations like IMHO or LMAO.  I quite often have to type them in a slag/urban dictionary to figure out what people are saying.  
I’m the type of person that still uses commas and semi-colons. 😀

Edited by Iloveketo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Latest report (from the bar) A bit of good news, we have realised we get two days of the SSP for free😀😀😀🍷🍸🍹🍺🥂🥃🥤

Which shipboard bar is this as I just ordered drinks in the EL and was asked for my stateroom #. Or is Viking just not charging it to the account,  as it is with a regular SSP tab?

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Which shipboard bar is this as I just ordered drinks in the EL and was asked for my stateroom #. Or is Viking just not charging it to the account,  as it is with a regular SSP tab?

Atrium usually. Bar staff will ask for your room number if they don't know/can't remember it. 

If you didn't buy the SSP for the cruise you will be charged as usual