tattoo me

tattooed mary

1 hour ago, tattooed mary said:

Can I book an appointment in advance?

And what will I know about the artist and his art in advance?

No booking until the shop opens at 7 on embarkation. If you follow Squid Ink on Instagram they post their artists schedules so you can see who will be on your sailing. I’ve already communicated with the artist that’s on our sailing to start discussions on what I want. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As noted above, best way to see who is working on your voyage is follow the various Squid Ink accounts: 
https://www.instagram.com/squidink.vv/ 
https://www.instagram.com/squid.ink.official/ 

There is a small sheet of flash available for $150/piece. None are larger than 2x2", and I found them pretty uninspiring. I was expecting the artists to have their own flash but neither did on my voyage. You also didn't get to "pick" your artist - they started taking reservations at 7pm (people were in line by 6:30), and you just walked up to one artist as he finished with one client. If you connect ahead of time like AtSeaWithChris did I suppose it would be a little different. I'd pick a time as late in the voyage as possible to minimize the hassle of aftercare while sailing, but those spots are likely the first to go. I came up with a design on the spot and was quoted $300 ($150 deposit, the balance to be paid after the session) and I'm really happy with it. I sat for about 90 minutes. It's palm-sized, mostly black and grey with some color highlights. I didn't get a chance to take a picture before he wrapped it and it's still healing. No matter what the artist prefers or focuses on at home, this is more of a street shop and both artists I saw were good with all styles. But definitely come with an idea and as many reference materials as you can. As with other services on board, gratuity is included but I have always tipped tattoo artists in cash afterwards and did so here (good thing I won some cash off a slot machine the night before!). 

And I found a picture of the available flash: 

small-tattoos.jpg 

• Like 3

On 2/10/2023 at 11:06 PM, cantgetin said:

If you want an appointment, book right at 7 on the first night.  Bookings usually fill up that for the entire cruise on that first evening.

And go early to get in line.  The line is pretty long at 7.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, nosaturn said:

is $150 a decent price for those tattos?

Most tattoo shops I'm familiar with (Seattle area) have a $150 minimum, and an average hourly rate around $200-250. So while that flash sheet looks pretty basic, charging a $150 minimum isn't out of line at all.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2023 at 7:01 PM, nosaturn said:

is $150 a decent price for those tattos?

Agree with @periodic itinerant - I wouldn’t expect to pay any less for a tattoo. But I would also talk to the artist to maybe add some color or other details even if it means adding another $100 to the price. 

My tattoo showed up on their IG account. Both pictured in this post are great, but I’m partial to the mermaid skeleton (for obvious reasons). 
https://www.instagram.com/p/Co9xxJUNCaA/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

• Like 2