Single person booking in a balcony cabin.

JohnGc

My daughter was testing the waters to see about coming on a cruise with the wife and I and would prefer to have her own balcony cabin near ours. She is willing to pay the double person cost but when trying to book online as a single found that no balcony cabins were available. On trying again but entering 2 persons, balcony cabins were available !! is this a normal practice ?  Would booking her son in as well but him not embarking be the answer if so this seems that they are discriminating  against a single person. 

Cheers John.

9 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

My daughter was testing the waters to see about coming on a cruise with the wife and I and would prefer to have her own balcony cabin near ours. She is willing to pay the double person cost but when trying to book online as a single found that no balcony cabins were available. On trying again but entering 2 persons, balcony cabins were available !! is this a normal practice ?  Would booking her son in as well but him not embarking be the answer if so this seems that they are discriminating  against a single person. 

Cheers John.

Strange, which cruiseline John? I travelled solo in a balcony cabin on Coral Princess in September, no problem booking it.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Strange, which cruiseline John? I travelled solo in a balcony cabin on Coral Princess in September, no problem booking it.

She was looking at a June cruise on Pacific Encounter  @SPARKY she wanted to pick her own cabin it was with an agent, could not see anywhere on direct booking with P&O that she could do that. Also tried an interior cabin with the same results.

Edited by JohnGc

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

The bean counters seam to want two people in a cabin , more potential spending onboard than one. A no show can be much cheaper than booking as a solo. 

I think your right, I will let my daughter know about the no show idea. Thanks.

At embarkation, just say 'My travel companion won't be coming due a family emergency'..  that's what I normally say and have never had an issue. I've done this a couple of times, mainly P&O and Princess. Never been charged any extra.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, timtam2 said:

At embarkation, just say 'My travel companion won't be coming due a family emergency'..  that's what I normally say and have never had an issue. I've done this a couple of times, mainly P&O and Princess. Never been charged any extra.

I have found this bit of information.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/tips-advice/last-minute-cancellation-penalties/

So what's the advantage, timtam2? 

Yes, I can see there are traps to deliberately booking a twin share room then doing a last minute cancellation for one person, apart from it being just plain dishonest, of course.

"Where any cancellation reduces the number of full paying party members below the number on which the price, number of free places and/or any concessions agreed for your booking were based, we will recalculate your holiday cost and re-invoice you accordingly."  sums it up.

I guess if you are otherwise  paying a 100% solo supplement, you would not be worse off.

But also, when you book for the 'ghost' passenger, you'd have to put an actual name, address  and personal details of someone, because it would be easy to check if the details, as on passport, were fake.

I recently booked a solo cabin and got charged the whole twin share rate, but they only offered me half the onboard credit that two people would get.

21 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

So what's the advantage, timtam2? 

Yes, I can see there are traps to deliberately booking a twin share room then doing a last minute cancellation for one person, apart from it being just plain dishonest, of course.

"Where any cancellation reduces the number of full paying party members below the number on which the price, number of free places and/or any concessions agreed for your booking were based, we will recalculate your holiday cost and re-invoice you accordingly."  sums it up.

I guess if you are otherwise  paying a 100% solo supplement, you would not be worse off.

But also, when you book for the 'ghost' passenger, you'd have to put an actual name, address  and personal details of someone, because it would be easy to check if the details, as on passport, were fake.

I recently booked a solo cabin and got charged the whole twin share rate, but they only offered me half the onboard credit that two people would get.

And booking using a false us address through a us based TA is OK? 

The only advantage for me is that I can book a cabin in a category I want and at a price I am happy to pay. If the cruise line only shows availability for solos in restricted categories and I want something else, I will do this. Also, I have only done this on domestic cruises. 

My daughter was lucky enough to book a solo balcony cabin on the Quantum at reasonable cost. The problem is you have to get in very early as they are very limited. I would like to see future new cruise ships increase them for singles. I feel for single people trying to book, many can not afford to pay double for a cabin or single supplement.Many older people who love cruising loose partners and at a later stage would love to cruise again. Yes if you are lucky enough to have a good friend ( with no annoying habits ) they could share a cabin but personally this would not suit me and I gather many others. I guess it all  boils down to the cruise companies having to make a profit  but I do feel singles do get a raw deal. Unfortunately the higher cost of air fares since covid ( unless they dramatically change before cancellation date runs out ) has scuttled my wife and I and our  daughters cruise on the Quantum from Hawaii to Brisbane later in the year. Just my thoughts.

Cheers John.