Gdansk - tipping currency

cmph

I'm looking for guidance on tipping in Gdansk. We booked an excursion due to the reports that this was the most cost-effective way to get from Gdynia to Gdansk. It's our only Polish port; we'll otherwise be using euros or cashless options. Does anyone have experience tipping in euros instead of zloty here? 

We booked an excursion due to the reports that this was the most cost-effective way to get from Gdynia to Gdansk

Both cities are also connected by train.and being as close to each other as they are, i expect there will also be buses.and a taxi trip may not be expensive either.

By doing this you would not be restricted to whatever timing the shorex has.

You could tip in euros which I am pretty sure will be happily accepted as many Poles either work "cross border" in eurozone countries or have friends or family liviing there. 

On mainland Europe there is a lot of cross border traffic between countries for entertainment, work, leisure activities, and even for shopping depending on how close to a border a person is located.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

We booked an excursion due to the reports that this was the most cost-effective way to get from Gdynia to Gdansk

Both cities are also connected by train.and being as close to each other as they are, i expect there will also be buses.and a taxi trip may not be expensive either.

By doing this you would not be restricted to whatever timing the shorex has.

You could tip in euros which I am pretty sure will be happily accepted as many Poles either work "cross border" in eurozone countries or have friends or family liviing there. 

On mainland Europe there is a lot of cross border traffic between countries for entertainment, work, leisure activities, and even for shopping depending on how close to a border a person is located.

Thank you! I didn't want to offend anyone by tipping in the wrong currency. Sounds like euros will be fine though.

Our day starts and ends rather early (7:00-14:00 in port), so I'm not sure we want to deal with a train. If we had more time in port, I might think differently. We also have $100 excursion credits to use for each port, and this excursion was surprisingly low-priced. Based on what others have quoted for the cost of the taxi, it's cheaper (or at least no more expensive) to book the excursion, and it definitely offers some piece of mind with that early ship departure time.

Our day starts and ends rather early (7:00-14:00 in port), so I'm not sure we want to deal with a train.

Sounds like a plan CMPH especially with the early arrival and departure times.  Enjoy.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I don't know what your nationality is and what other ports you visit, but note that tipping in Europe is very different than in the US.  Staff and guides receive a fixed salary, so tips are not necessary, but of course appreciated. A smaller amount or rounding up is sufficient.

The problem is the many different currencies in the region and that credit card/ApplePay is the best way to pay in ports.

In general, the Euro will be the best tipping currency in your case.

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

I don't know what your nationality is and what other ports you visit, but note that tipping in Europe is very different than in the US.  Staff and guides receive a fixed salary, so tips are not necessary, but of course appreciated. A smaller amount or rounding up is sufficient.

The problem is the many different currencies in the region and that credit card/ApplePay is the best way to pay in ports.

In general, the Euro will be the best tipping currency in your case.

Thanks! We're American, but my husband lived in Europe before we got married. Generally, we don't tip (and definitely don't tip in American quantities) while in Europe. Part of the problem is that, being American, there is often somewhat of an expectation that we will tip. In any case, a tour is one of those rare times in which I think it's deserved for the tour guide. 

We chose self-guided touring for most of the ports, so we will not have much need for cash. Other than Sweden and Poland, all of the ports are in countries that use euros. We aren't doing any tours in Sweden though, so we're planning on cashless payments there. Sounds like we can easily stick to euros only, though. 🙂

• Thanks 1