Sitka Bear Tours

donaldsc

I am looking for a tour out of Skagway where I have a good chance of seeing bears in the wild.  I know that there is the Fortress of the Bears in Sitka but I am not interested in that since that is basically 5 or 6 rescue bears inside of a tank.  I have been to Anan several times were you see real bears in the wild and bears in a tank would just not cut it.  Has anyone taken a tour out of Sitka where real wild bears were seen fairly closely like in a salmon stream or does anyone have any idea which tour operator I might contact.

Thanks

DON

I have been in Sitka a few times and I'm not aware of any bear tours in the wild.  In Ketchikan, black bears are often seen in Herring Cove (there's a hatchery nearby) on the Rainforest Walk or other excursions in that area.  In Juneau there are black bears at the glacier feeding on salmon running in the nearby streams.  Juneau is actually crawling with bears, but they don't hang out near the dock area. The best bet in Skagway is a bus tour as far into the Yukon as you can get.  Black bears are often eating dandelions alongside the road and brown bears can be spotted near Carcross occasionally.