Celebrity Genoa port?

IUSteve

We had Genoa for one of our ports quite a few years ago.  That was our first time to visit Cinque Terre, but certainly not our last.  We have stayed there twice for three and four days; loved it there and befriended some wonderful hotel owners!  Honestly, a tour just gives you a small taste, but returning to stay for awhile was absolutely wonderful.  This was the view from our balcony in Monterosso al Mare.7FB50FF3-CDC2-456B-A390-A734BA163633_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b5bb877132a6bcf508ef00a190f2302f.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this. I am the one on July cruise. This has been an unknown for weeks….From these port cancellations/changes in Dec I found it so odd to backtrack from Livorno to Genoa. I realize no big deal for ships…but still… interesting? I have my Livorno shore excursions newly rebooked. Genoa is a lovely city and people still can see northern Italian locations that were first offered. I was disappointed however to have Santa Margharita and La Spezia canceled as we have been to the new ports now changed. We are holding off with booking anything while in Genoa…waiting and waiting to see what Celebrity can offer. 

23 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

We have been in Genoa with Galaxy. Best option is a boat trip to Portofino along the coast. Cinque Terre is too far away. 

It is further away, but we had a private car, so it wasn’t too bad at all because we left early beating the traffic.  Additionally, it was a place that I had wanted to go for years.  I also loved Portofino, but that was a different ship/tour.  I cannot comment on the “best option” because everyone is different; I can only offer what I did on one of my cruises with Celebrity.  Personally, I have found that private tours allow much more freedom of choice, along with stretching the time component too; however, it depends on how one feels about not booking a ship excursion and opportunity cost on vacation.  I am not familiar with Galaxy, so cannot comment on what they offer.  I hope those concerned are able to book an enjoyable tour even if they opt to stay in Genoa!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

It is further away, but we had a private car, so it wasn’t too bad at all because we left early beating the traffic.  Additionally, it was a place that I had wanted to go for years.  I also loved Portofino, but that was a different ship/tour.  I cannot comment on the “best option” because everyone is different; I can only offer what I did on one of my cruises with Celebrity.  Personally, I have found that private tours allow much more freedom of choice, along with stretching the time component too; however, it depends on how one feels about not booking a ship excursion and opportunity cost on vacation.  I am not familiar with Galaxy, so cannot comment on what they offer.  I hope those concerned are able to book an enjoyable tour even if they opt to stay in Genoa!

It was the ship Celebrity Galaxy. A boat trip to Portofino can be booked direct with local tour operators or as a ship excursion. Pricat car with driver is fine, I would just not recommend driving a rental car yourself in Genoa traffic if you are not used to it. First rule is never look back…

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

It was the ship Celebrity Galaxy. A boat trip to Portofino can be booked direct with local tour operators or as a ship excursion. Pricat car with driver is fine, I would just not recommend driving a rental car yourself in Genoa traffic if you are not used to it. First rule is never look back…

Ours was a private tour, just the two of us with a driver. I forgot all about Celebrity Galaxy...quite the relic!  I totally agree about driving around Genoa yourself.  We have driven from Venice to Dolomites and to La Spezia, but mostly out of the big cities.  I focus on moving forward!  Hopefully, a variety of ideas will be posted and the OP will find a tour!  Have a good day!

Edited by Lastdance

Celebrity also cancelled Santa Margharita and Le Spezia on our Sept sailing and added Genoa.  I emailed Shorex@rccl.com regarding the lack of Genoa excursions and they replied "we have notified our Global Tour Operations Department of this schedule concern."  Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Interesting isn’t it. The Italian ports call the shots. My very unqualified guess is….like Venice…these smaller ports are discouraging larger cruise ship traffic. With Genoa now Celebrity has to come up with even more tour companies for our ships. This happened mid December. At least that was when we got our notification. Fortunately Genoa is lovely and hopefully Celebrity helpful with options. If not…private tours. 

16 hours ago, all2me said:

Interesting isn’t it. The Italian ports call the shots. My very unqualified guess is….like Venice…these smaller ports are discouraging larger cruise ship traffic. With Genoa now Celebrity has to come up with even more tour companies for our ships. This happened mid December. At least that was when we got our notification. Fortunately Genoa is lovely and hopefully Celebrity helpful with options. If not…private tours. 

Well, I would not call Genoa lovely, not even the locals do this I believe. Maybe lively? The city improved a lot during the past 20 years but is still an industrial town and port and definitely not a tourist spot.

You are right. Port is gritty! Guess I thought the city has some pretty surrounding  areas….as I left for an excursion. Trying to be positive. Livorno the same. I am trying to not be too dissapointed they changed to these ports. I was excited to book when I first saw those more picturesque ports!!